• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 European Open

Only 6 players total MPO+FPO made a birdy on hole 17 R2 . .one was Paige

.but for the MPO field they must feel like they almost need to birdy every hole and a bogey is hard to recover from. . .with all that OB thats a real mental challenge.

This seems like the new norm for the MPO format. with all the new OB popping up at tournaments and special roped off or designated OB areas. I think big Jerm said it best with " ball golf is the chase of par while discgolf is the chase of how many birdies you can get" or something like that. Thats what sets MOST pro's from even Am1 players...the amount of birdies as well as the way that they come back frm bad shots and course management.

FPO Feature Card round 1 back 9

Kristen Tattar throws Saint Pros better than me. Now, I want to bag some again.

You mean like her 20+ over par for 2 rounds? I tried to watch some of the FPO cards at European Open but had to give it up. Perkins does not make for a good commentary guy (Koling and Sexton make the best commentary on any video channel for disc golf imho) and the scores were just too bad. Only 1 of the ladies under par after 2 rounds and more than a few 20+ over par. I'd hate to see what the last place score is.

Perkins does not make for a good commentary guy (Koling and Sexton make the best commentary on any video channel for disc golf imho) and the scores were just too bad.

Perkins is great commentary but maybe not for the ladies...while they are shooting well over par. BigSexy would even struggle making that interesting.

I think Perkins is 2nd best on the mic.

You mean like her 20+ over par for 2 rounds? I tried to watch some of the FPO cards at European Open but had to give it up. Perkins does not make for a good commentary guy (Koling and Sexton make the best commentary on any video channel for disc golf imho) and the scores were just too bad. Only 1 of the ladies under par after 2 rounds and more than a few 20+ over par. I'd hate to see what the last place score is.

:) Well...my statements were based on Kirstin Tattar's use of her Saint Pros during the first round. She scored +3 during that round, which was good enough to get her on the lead card for the second round. During round 1, she used Saint Pros for perhaps two-thirds of her tee shots, and some fairway throws as well, with some really good results.

During the second round, her play was admittedly not on point, with a result of +14. I think the commentators were saying that it was windy on day 2. Saint Pros and wind don't go together well, so we weren't seeing them come out as much. And when she did use them, they were getting pushed around quite a bit by the wind. So, she had to rely on other molds more often.

Wait for day 3. If it is calmer, she will most likely be threading the fairways with her Saint Pros.

Of course, she is not on the lead card on day 3, so we won't get to see this, I guess. :\

Muddy concrete tees? Cant remember any.

How would turf tees be better in every way? There is a higher potential for slips on turf tees when they are wet or dry. The memorial concrete tees are terrible but there arent many other concrete tees that come to mind at big events that are bad.

I can agree that AstroTurf tees suck.

However, tees like these, with the sanded down turf, are incredibly grippy and wonderful. Having played on them at a couple of courses that use them (Langley Pond Discgolfpark and then Boyd Pond, where they used the same turf tees), they absolutely drop moisture in the rain and grab just as hard as concrete. It might be a bit of an adjustment for those who don't play on them week in week out like the pros, but for your average disc golfer there really isn't much of a noticeable change at all.

Ignore par for FPO on courses like this.

It should be set differently.

I respectfully disagree.
It's just a tough course and we're trying to find out who the best player is...
As a ~920 player, I can sympathize and identify with the frustration.
However, the difficulty just makes it more mental - which I see as a good thing.
The par setting should not affect the tactical play, but we all know it does.
However, if our aim is for everyone to get Birdies (sarcasm font) then by all means, re-set the Pars.

Well, it´s about beating the other players . . not the par.

It may not look good to see the MPO field go so much under par. .. . or the FPO so much over.

BUT i do think Paiges score looks better than Rickys. . . Rickys is TO low, makes the sport/cource look "easy" to a "non discgolfer"
In "The Open" golf tournament the leader is at -8 after R2. . that feels like a "good score" . . Rickys score is just to low

Par isn't the problem. The course is the problem for FPO. The top women are 970 rated. They're better served playing Blue level courses, not Gold. The Beast is a true Gold level course.

I don't think changing the pars does much to affect anything. Some of the holes are simply ill-suited for their skill level regardless of the par. Paige even makes that point (indirectly) in the commentary when she suggests that with a couple holes, where the women might want to lay-up is as fraught with as much or more danger than just going for it. So they go for it...and miss.

Some shorter tees, tees that enable more of the women than just Paige and Henna and maybe Evelina to be able to access the designed landing zones, would do wonders for the competitiveness and play-ability of the course for FPO.

Looks like Paige played "par golf" today but had a rough couple of holes in the end....but she still played 6 throws better than the second best.
Paige is probably the only FPO player that think it's fun to play this course

Difficult conditions today? Not that good scores at the top, except for Eagle....but a lot of -6 scores far down the leaderboard...nice day for Oakley

The weather seems to be as good as yesterday, if anything then even hotter outside.
The wind is also minimal.

IDK why but I'm watching the coverage and just get a "meh" feeling. The course is "meh," the usual suspects are "meh," just "meh" all around.

Perkins does not make for a good commentary guy (Koling and Sexton make the best commentary on any video channel for disc golf imho)

Perkins is "okay" but he just seems to be "low energy". Like he's trying to speak in hushed tones as if this is a golf ball golf tournament. He needs to live up to his name and perk up some.

Paige P's commentary has been very good, IMHO. Good explanations of what is going on, disc choices, etc.

People always wanting a driver that flies like a buzzz. Watch Mcbeth throw the Vulture on hole 17 for the first 2 rounds.
Has the be the straightest distance disc i have ever thrown. 400ft lazers