• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

I pledge that for every disc I was going to buy from Innova because of Paul McBeth I will now buy them from his new sponsor if they have cool stamps

I feel like Discraft need a new top FPO player . . FPO get more and more coverage but you NEED to have a player on the top card to get that exposure

When you manufacture a product for sale you have something that's called a multiplier. Basically you take you're total cost to produce the product, including overhead, and multiply it by a percentage and that is your profit. The lower the multiplier the better the profit.

For a company that makes 8 million in revenue to make more profit than a company that makes 52 million in revenue you're looking at something ridiculous like a .15 multiplier vs a .99 multiplier. That would mean Innova makes pennies per disc while Discraft makes several dollars per.

I know that's not the case, that's why I don't believe the 36 million dollar difference in sales that have been posted here.

Profits tied up in stock.

Innova have a huge inventory of different products, lots coming in from China that they have to buy in bulk container loads months before they stand any chance of actually receiving cash for them. They are an expanding company. If they stopped production now and sold everything off you can bet they'd be sitting on a big pile of cash. As it is they will be investing that money in their own stockholding in order to supply their growing market.

At this time of year they'll have just received/be receiving lots of nice big payments from the summer sales in major retail outlets, so the bank balance will look good but they will be placing their 30% deposits with China factories and they'll be churning out huge amounts of discs now in readiness for the dealer rush in Jan/Feb. They'll expect 2019 to be bigger than 2018 so they will take the profits and churn them back into stock.

That's the big difference. With ultimate sales they can churn them out daily and ship them out daily and keep a comparative very low stockholding, actually seeing real life profits on them. They can react pretty quickly without having to tie their money up, potentially making them more cash rich despite a much smaller turnover. The only long term bulk buying they will have to do is allocating funds for plastics in that model (and this year I'd imagine some major mold costs and R and D in preparation for the big 2019) . in payment streams they'll also get paid up front by all clubs/teams/events buying stock of ultimate lids, they're not having to wait 90 days for the Walmart cheque to arrive or 60 days at a 2.5% discount

Imagine that over the last 10 years of incredible Ultimate growth. Each year they've been able to handle supply without really having to tie much more in the way of funds up to profit from it, they'd have been banking up some good cash reserves, I'd expect Innova to have reinvested most of their cash reserves in order to grow the inventory required to supply the growth.

I'd still prefer to be the owners of Innova at the moment with what is coming in this sport, they are market positioned and about to ride the wave. Discraft have a lot of spending to do now to get anywhere near their level in the Disc golf market.

Whatever happens it's exciting times for the sport.

Thank you, this is why I call it a scam. eMac is a world champ and has a solid understanding of how discs fly and what power it takes to make them fly as intended. For him to recommend a high speed disc to someone with Bobby's power, which is most players, is dishonest at best.

Can you show me a video where he said "Bobby, this high speed disc is the right choice for someone with your power" because I've watched a few of those vids and didn't see anything like that. I only bag 2 Trilogy discs so I am far from a DD fan boy btw. lol...

Profits tied up in stock.

Innova have a huge inventory of different products, lots coming in from China that they have to buy in bulk container loads months before they stand any chance of actually receiving cash for them.

Does Innova manufacture their discs in China? And so Discmania also?

No but a lot of the big equipment is (TBF I assume on this point, I actually don't know this for sure but I would expect travellers, backpacks etc. were)

hmm.. Paul to Discmania USA with a long term business role. I could see that happening, as it would still be under the Innova umbrella. What doesn't make sense at all is Paul going to Discraft with some serious $$$ attached. The reason I simply don't believe anything about the $$$ is the fact that the existing elite players sponsored by Discraft haven't mentioned anything about a substantial $$ contract in their past. And surely they would if the money was there.

hmm.. Paul to Discmania USA with a long term business role. I could see that happening, as it would still be under the Innova umbrella. What doesn't make sense at all is Paul going to Discraft with some serious $$$ attached. The reason I simply don't believe anything about the $$$ is the fact that the existing elite players sponsored by Discraft haven't mentioned anything about a substantial $$ contract in their past. And surely they would if the money was there.

But which of those top pros have the pull in the disc golf community that Paul does. The fact that you see so many copy cat bags of Paul's and not of anybody else shows that he has a huge impact on what players throw, especially the younger generation. Adidas was made popular in large part to Paul, the Nova was a joke until Paul loved it, The roc3 is just another roc yet there are so many people throwing them. Granted the Krait did flop but thats cuz G-Star plastic is meh. Paul has a huge impact on what people wear and throw and he knows it and he is going to capitalize on it.

laughable points so far

The same guy who recently threw a perfect round is washed up and unable to carry a brand on his own

Employees of disc manufacturers should not promote the products of their employer.

Barsby turns down getting his name on the best selling disc of all time because he doesn't bag it

Feldbergs decline in the sport has direct correlation to whats going to happen to pauls game when he leaves innova

Well I will eat my words about Paul never leaving Innova. I have been saying for a good many years now that we are living in upside down world. To me, just my opinion that is my first though on this. Without knowing any details I'm left to think where is the loyalty. But as a huge Paul fan I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Huge Michigan homer here. So I tried Discraft when I started. To make a long story short, and I now know it's the archer not the arrow. But things didn't come together for me until I went Teebird, Leopard, Roc. That coupled with Innova having most of my favorite players on their team I became a huge Innova fanboy. I don't bag any of Paul's signature discs though because I know my arm speed and what works for me.

To be honest this just puts me more in the Innova camp.(I still love all things disc golf, and all the companies, even DD) What a time for Barsby! And dare I possibly say moving Innova to underdog status? LOL. Just kidding, but ya never know.

I may have missed it somewhere buried in the thread, but are Nate and Val retiring? (Bevel is going to take up almost all of their time) Or moving into a lesser role within Discraft?

I may have missed it somewhere buried in the thread, but are Nate and Val retiring? (Bevel is going to take up almost all of their time) Or moving into a lesser role within Discraft?

Lesser role, but people are speculating retirement is possible sooner than if they didn't start Bevel.

So, the rumors that I have heard on the internet are as follows:

Ricky being courted by Innova
Uli to Discraft
KJones to Prodigy (maybe Discraft?)
Paul to Discraft
Hokom trying out MVP plastic (But with Legacy you can throw some mixed bag I think, so who knows)

Have I missed any?

I don't think we know what McBeth and Discraft are legally allowed to do right now. I'm assuming he is signed to Innova through the end of the year, and traditionally players didn't announce the switch until the old deal ran out. Maybe Innova announced he wasn't resigning but didn't free McBeth and/or Discraft to announce the new deal, so that by the time it is announced in two months it's such old news that you take the impact out of it.

Exactly...with Innova making the first "move" publicly, it sounds even more like a prank to me. I'm still calling it as a Halloween "Trick" for sure.

People in here acting like Innova would do this for kicks, as a Halloween "trick," sorely underestimate the backlash that would come from messing with their fans.

Yes, it would be nice for Paul and Discraft to put something out, but again, through 12/31/2018 he is under contract to Innova.

All of this conjecture can be addressed pretty simply by looking at this scenario from a business perspective...
Paul is an asset, plain and simple. Innova owns rights to him and his name until the deal officially expires (12/31/18 seems to be the agreed upon date...)

By 'officially' announcing the split now, they are effectively creating a huge demand for a (perceived) low supply. As a result, most, if not all distribution channels will sell out of McBeth related items in the coming weeks (while Innova still owns rights to Paul's marketability).

As supply and demand works, they'll then be able to produce another huge run of Paul stamped inventory before they officially lose the rights to co-branding with McBeth's name. I would expect this next batch to include every mold his name has ever been on, and to be run in excess.

They may even 'lose' a couple in the warehouse that can be released 'underground' to drive the collectible value up before re-distributing again. This effectively increases demand beyond what supply can handle and increases the perceived value of Innova discs.

All in all, I say this is well played by Innova and a great way to squeeze additional gross profit out of the golden goose before he's gone.

I haven't seen much discussion about the other reason players sell plastic: Fans want to support them. Unlike the major sports, the players aren't rich, but the average fan can put money in the pockets of their favorite players by buying their signature tour discs.

I don't know if I'm a representative of the average fan, but I never buy the discs the pros use just because they use them. If anything, I probably avoid those discs; for instance, I know I don't have the power to throw a Destroyer, so I don't bag one. But I have a few Sexton Firebirds that are mostly collectables I won't throw. I bought them just because I like Nate as a player and commentator and I feel like my dollars support him directly when I buy his discs.

This discussion has a lot of parallels for me to the music world. I play the drums and the world of drum company endorsements is just like disc golf. People become huge fans of the brands and the drummers, and emotions range from excitement to bitterness when major drummers change endorsers. I visit the drummer forums and then come here and it's like a strange kind of déjà vu.

What's your point here? Ofcourse they are going to tell him to do reviews on discs they make. That's what he's getting paid for. He marketed himself on the internet, he got hired and they are paying him for the "asset" he is..good or bad.

My point is I don't like being advertised to under the guise of normal forum interaction. Advertising on the disc golf Reddit is frowned upon. DD bypassed that by hiring a long time poster of that subreddit. Since he has been active for so long, and often engages in non advertisement conversation s, the mods let the discs reviews, which are nothing more than an advertisement, slide.