• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Any Mako fans?

Niiiice! The Mako (first run 180) made my bag again, a few months ago. I needed to add a slower, finesse disc to help me with tunnel shots, uphill hyzer approaches, etc...and this disc really shines for me in those spots. I hadn't even thought about using it for longer jump-putts, as some people mentioned earlier in this thread, but that sounds like a fine idea!

I was playin with someone who was using a champ mako3 almost every hole, says its coming out shortly after the roc3

Absolutely, she's probably my favorite companion in the game so far. That's part of why I play my Bounty Hunter so much.

I wish I didn't get that comment. I played in beta for about 6 months prior to release...glad I didn't put any money into it. I had high hopes. It was very disappointing.

Back from the depths...

Just curious if anyone has tossed the new bottom-stamped Mako and can report on its flight. MSt claims they are flatter than normal production runs...

dont get suckered by quick wit descriptions - especially for 15.99

in truth my bottom stamp has more dome than my other stars

you havent heard them being a flatop mako , have you?

Huge mako fan. i throw a 172 first run mako. will hold any line and glide forever, but flips very easily with headwind. Feels great in the hand, very easy to throw. This is the only midrange i carry that is not a roc.

I'd like to try one just because of the reputed dead-straight lines it's capable of.

How does it compare to Lycan?

When I started playing, I used a Star Mako 172 as my approach and putter. I dont use it much anymore but I still carry it in the bag.

Attachments

• normal-shark mako star.jpg
    normal-shark mako star.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 30
I have a max weight proto Mako I got directly from Innova as a 'here, check this out' once when I ran into my sales rep. I use that some of the time. I have an Orange 167g Mako that is smooth. I have mostly been playing a short, flat 9 hole course since i blew my knee. I use it on 7 of the 9 tee shots and no matter whom im playing with they want to know what that disc I'm throwing is because I use it for so many variety of shots.

I also carry 2 champ Makos that are longer and a bit more stable than the Star Makos.

My sales rep from Innova did tell me they're are releasing a new mold Mako this year and that the testing is been getting great reviews.

that's interesting that you say there will be a new Mako mold. Nothing wrong with this one, I don't think.

When new, the Mako was the straightest disc I've ever thrown. A tiny turn, no real fade either, just straight. Since I beat one up it got pretty flippy and touchy but when I was new I had a mako and a roc as mids and it worked well for me. Maybe I didn't have the power to flip the Mako then, but I do now, or something. I don't usually bag it, but I still throw it in the field, or on wooded courses where you need a super straight shot from a standstill.

I'm a big fan of the softer star blend that Innova uses for mids like the Mako. Wish they'd make faster discs with that blend. Grippy and softish, but not as floppy as FLX. Good in the cold. I'd think a fairway driver would be great in that plastic b/c it absorbs tree hits really well and doesn't skip away. Oh well, one can dream.

I could of heard wrong but I don't think it's a Mako3 coming out. I believe it's a Shark3.

+1 for FR Proto Star Makos! Glad I hoarded myself a stash of a dozen of them. I only like flat Star Makos. The Champions I have tossed were all domey and more stable. Makos are great shot shapers and very versitile mids.

Found a star mako in a local creek after the flood receded a couple of years ago. Threw it a few times before i called and gave it back. I liked it and bought one. Reminded me of a slightly straighter champ panther, like i used to throw. Trouble was, I could still hit more lines with my X/Z buzz combo. It didn't make the bag. Now I use it when introducing new players to the game. The straight flight with a lack of fade seems to work really well for low power throwers.

There is a wooded course nearby with several tunnel shot holes, and I always think this looks like the disc to throw; guess I just need to go and buy one (where have I heard that before....).

I didn't care for the mako much. It had a pretty straight flight to be sure, but it just wasn't comfortable in the hand for me. I throw mids with a birdie grip and the makos I've seen had a HUGE dome that just didn't feel right. Flattening it would probably mess with the straightness of the flight