• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone find Discs Getting Expensive?

@OP: There are more costly addictions.

The rising prices have changed my behavior. I'm well stocked with discs that I like, and much less willing to try something new if it's in the $20 to $30 range. If anything, I might be more inclined to revisit some older molds that I've liked that remain more reasonably priced.

I noticed the jump from $8.99 to $11.99 for DX discs at my local PIAS a few weeks ago.

And I don't buy the inflation or demand excuses. This seems more like price gouging to me.

Wholesale price for DX plastic went up 37.5% in the past 18 months. At 8.99, a store might not even break even depending on their calculated expenses per item to run the store. The wholesale cost of every disc made by every company went up at least 10% in the past 24 months. ESP plastic went up 25%, Plasma went up 14%, etc.. Discmania provided raw material cost charts that showed the ridiculous increase in raw materials. Trickle down from raw materials all the way to the shelf

attachment.php

Base is May 2020 and current is February 2022. Resin is an average of ABS and Celcon, so not exactly what is being used for discs, but you get the picture.

Attachments

• Why do things cost more.JPG
    Why do things cost more.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 185
Discmania provided raw material cost charts that showed the ridiculous increase in raw materials. Trickle down from raw materials all the way to the shelf

Oh you mean the plastic market got squeezed the past two years? :thmbup:

I wonder why. Hmmmmm.

Start scouting the places that sell used discs. I mean, we're all throwing used discs after the first new throw anyway, right? ;)

My dad used it say, "It loses value as soon as you drive it off the tee" or something like that. Come to think of it, maybe he was talking about something else new that he was driving?

it's called inflation... will there ever be deflation?

If there is, it's usually a bad thing.

Deflation is bad for producers, inflation is bad for consumers.

Americans are trained to be consumers.

lol. Bit more to it than that.

shining examples of American economic illiteracy
i'm tempted to offer free plastic to anyone that can even give an accurate definition of inflation

sorry guy, i always seem to be pissing on your parade. i swear it's not personal.

i'm tempted to offer free plastic to anyone that can even give an accurate definition of inflation

sorry guy, i always seem to be pissing on your parade. i swear it's not personal.

Don't know too much, but I'm guessing it has to do with the recent bump in dollars in circulation.

Fred M2.jpg

Fed prints money and buys corporate bonds to prevent collapse of the stock market. More dollars in circulation means less value per dollar, with a distinct advantage in the market to those who were flooded with liquidity at zero to negative interest.

Money is cheap right now, for a certain class of investors.

inflation is the decrease in buying power of a single dollar, right? that's how I always understood it at least. so an increase in the cost of goods, which equals a decrease in buying power.

I'm not an econ guy, but always found inflation principles interesting. Always good to know how you're getting ****ed with your money, I guess

In general, governments want to deflate their currency to buy debt and inflate their currency to pay debt. We want to do the same. I put a big deck on the house 6y ago. If I pay it off with today's dollars, I get an 18% discount (excluding interest). For buying power alone discs should cost 18% more than 2016.

Last edited:
To be fair dx has always been $7-8, pro $10-11, champion $14-16, and star $16-18 since I began playing in 2001.

I can't think of many items that haven't increased in price over 20 years.

Back when I started playing, Innova was 5 or 6 bucks a disc (buying from club or trunk at tourney) and 7 bucks for Discraft (local shop). DX was not a term yet.

Back when I started playing, Innova was 5 or 6 bucks a disc (buying from club or trunk at tourney) and 7 bucks for Discraft (local shop). DX was not a term yet.

Yep, bought my first Disc, a Stingray, from PDGA #315's garage for $6. I didn't hear the term "DX" until years later, like 2000 or so? I thought, "You mean like Toyota?"

Ok, I'll buy a raffle ticket. lol

Inflation: the expansion in volume (and surface tension) of a closed container in response to an increase in pressure from within. Timmy watched the clown in awe during the inflation of the balloon.

Ok how about this, in a monetary system context:

An increase in successive time periods of the 'price' (where price is defined as the number of units of a fungible money relative to a standard unit of, e.g., goods) of a basket of staple goods and services, all of those goods and services being well-defined and identical from period to period, for example the Consumer Price Index overseen by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Fyodor was displeased to see that, overnight, the bread rose from 3000 rubles to 5000 rubles...'damned inflation', he thought, as his gaze came to rest, scornfully, on the statue of Stalin.

But is there really one definition of inflation? Any precision in the definition will lose important meaning. There's the hamburger/steak issue with defining the basket of goods--it tends to marginalize the distortion of price as a result of technology. We've come a long way from the 8086 processor. Each successive period is necessarily a new basket of goods. And we need to avoid any discussion of wages and actual purchasing power,

There is also to much noise in monetary supply, for me at least, to be satisfied that a single definition of inflation is all that meaningful. It seems naive to be comforted that there is any sort of academic power over the underlying phenomena to somehow capture it in several words. Economists and the like will describe M1, M2, etc., and ignore the incongruity and collapse of doctrinal relationships when things like the subprime collapse cause enough upheaval to show them to be a fiction (i.e. they had to invent a way so that money never existed in the first place). If the US holds an auction to sell Treasury bills, and it has to buy 80% of them, how can there be any reliance on the concept of 'monetary supply'? I guess the point is that if the definition of 'inflation' includes the idea of price, which has USD in the numerator (and, e.g., goods in the denominator), then the definition of USD is also invoked--a dollar is not just a dollar. It is the result of a complex function with many variables that, like Schoedinger's Cat, is only actually measured at the moment of transaction.

The average layman might think that 1 USD is a dollar bill, and this fungible unit perfectly expresses what money is. An object, a concrete thing, indistinguishable from the power it has to lubricate transaction in precise amounts. Just as we never think of our own incipient death, we never think that 1 USD is really just a promise we all agree to keep, and has nothing to do with a piece of paper or a digital balance display. Money (e.g., 1 USD) is much more a function of trust and promise between remote individuals, much more a barometer of things like national security, rule of law, and institutions free of corruption. But this is never measured, and I have no idea why! It probably is measured somehow by some hedge fund types, but that the premise of money is so relatively unexplored by academics has to raise some doubt about the ability of ideas like a fortune-cookie definition of 'inflation' to adequately capture the underlying reality.

So, idk...OP...maybe if the problem is spending too much on discs, just write really expansive and heady posts on the idea of inflation and hope that some random dude on this forum sends you free plastic. (problem solved)

What ever happened to stock stamp discs and normal run plastics? Not everything has to be a tour series or special disc. Im a die hard discraft fan but damn can you release some stock stuff not ledgestone stuff. Change the name to ledgecraft or something.

I remember those days, and when premium plastic showed up at $9 or $10, I loudly proclaimed that there was no way a disc could be worth that much, and I'd never pay it.