• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best portable speaker for music during a casual round?

did op ever figure out what to buy or are we still bickering? cuz ill bicker, but op should be priority

Man, for a bunch of hippie stoners, you disc golfers sure get worked up about stuff.

The OP didn't ask your permission to play music on the course. He asked for advice about speakers when doing so. Did he ever mention other people being on the course, or his preference to enjoy nature? No. So until he comes in and gives the details of his playing situation, why not pump the brakes a little bit and answer the question at hand?

As to that question: UE Boom. As Um... attested to earlier, they are durable and jam nicely. He thoroughly convinced me to buy one just by playing with him while his music was on.

How is suggesting earbuds/headphones not offering advice on speakers to use while listening to music on the course?

I don't see anyone denying permission for anyone to listen to their music while they play. I see a lot of people suggesting that if they want to do that, they should keep it to themselves. Seems like the pro-speaker folks are getting just as worked up as the pro-earbuds folks, if not more so (Mr. Fretz aside).

Man, I would hate to throw a round with all the internet golfers in here. No drinking, no smoking, no music, no laughing, and keep everything at a whisper level.

WTF? What a bunch of antisocial-highhorse f*cks in here. Seriously.

Guy asks for advice on a speaker and the thread turns into this????? Buncha' anti-fun dg nazis.

Maybe your uppity attitudes are actually what's keeping all the "noobs" and "chuckers" from pursuing the sport. Wanna' help further dg? Quit being a dick.

Asking for someone to show common courtesy is being a "fun nazi?"

Last time I wore headphones I thought I was the baddest kid on the block.

With my Sony Walkman.

I use a JBL Flip 2 sounds AMAZING, and loud, battery lasts 2 rounds at 3/4 volume (4-5 hours). Shaped like a cylinder, and fits just about anywhere in my bag.

This. Great sound for the money. Internal battery so no batteries to buy, but I can only get a little over 3hrs from mine. It can be plugged in directly or thru Bluetooth.

...And you will never catch me using it on the course.

Anything with Bluetooth. Love having some music when I ply alone and ask group if it's okay before turning it on.

One good thing about music. Is when it hits you feel no pain
-BOb

I use the JBL Clip Bluetooth speaker. It's about the size of a hockey puck, clips to your disc bag, rechargeable and runs about 5 hours on a recharge. I never use mine unless there are no other players close around me and the volume is always at a lower level. Take it from someone with experience, headphones and earbuds played at high volume will destroy your hearing!

It's not that big of a deal, but it's a little annoying.

If someone is really just interested in listening to music while they play, they would use earbuds, which offer superior sound with much less hassle.

People who play music out of speakers, especially while playing solo, do it because they think it's totally awesome and "hey look at me!" If you're by yourself and you're playing music out of speakers, you are an absolute attention whore.

not true.

maybe i don't want earbuds in. maybe i want to be able to hear everything else clearly as well because i too enjoy nature. maybe earbuds are bothersome; they can get all sweaty, waxy and the wires touch your face/neck and create microphonics while you walk, unless you have a good IEM or you hook the cords behind your ears. the wires can snag on twigs and vegetation. i play solo the vast majority of the time and i just like having my tunes on to chill to while i'm throwing. having it through a speaker, be it a phone or something you hook up to your music player itself, is much more tolerable. you keep it in your bag and it stays out of the way. you sound like you've never worn an IEM before.

Last edited:
The best portable speaker will be one NO ONE can hear! I don't care if you like good music or crap, it doesn't belong on a golf course!!! Get a clue, ppl. You with the music playing need to learn common courtesy and course etiquette, or just quit playing altogether. I can't believe this is even a thread on this site. What a joke. When you are out there playing with your lame music on, just realize that no one out there likes it even if they don't tell you so. Do you also throw on holes where others are already playing, or let your dogs poop all over the course without cleaning up? Because its obvious you have no idea how to be a good fellow golfer
Unbelievably Lame Thread!!
Get over it junior. It's a public park and I can do whatever the f%$k I want as long as it's not against the law. Quite frankly if someone cranking up their music drives the potheads away I'm all in favor of it.

Now with that said: IMO use of a speaker vs. earbuds vs. nothing at all is situational. I prefer to use my speaker at low volume when playing a casual round with friends. If we're betting cash or discs on the game I won't use it at all. If the park is crowded, we leave speakers in the car. If I'm playing a solo round or with people I don't know well I'm probably using my LG Tone headset with one earbud in and one out. Good sound quality and no cords to get in the way. If I'm playing a new course or an unusually beautiful and remote one then no music at all, either so I can listen for my discs on errant throws on new courses or just so I can enjoy myself.

I have to assume that most people's use of speakers is equally situational, because I rarely encounter anyone playing music at a volume I can hear anything beyond the fact that they have music going. I really haven't encountered anyone blaring music that I can hear from multiple holes away, and perhaps that's why I simply don't see this as the huge deal that others are portraying it as. If you are dealing with inconsiderate people who have somehow rigged up a full blown sound system in their DG bag then you have my sympathy. If you're so selfish and hypersensitive that you can't tolerate someone else's taste in music played at a reasonable volume for a few minutes in a public setting then you really need to get over yourself.

If you don't want music, then stick to private courses that don't allow it. Oh, there's not one nearby you say? Buy some land and build one. Clearly you think music is a huge issue, so there ought to be tons of people beating down your door to play your course in silence, right?

Aren't you a peach.
And aren't you quite the whiner. It seems like all I'll have to do to have an edge playing some of you guys head to head will be to bring a cheap speaker and some tunes. Sounds like it's time to step your mental game up pansies.

tumblr_llg81rYTI61qdasbeo1_500.gif

^^^ Streets

Last edited:
And aren't you quite the whiner. It seems like all I'll have to do to have an edge playing some of you guys head to head will be to bring a cheap speaker and some tunes. Sounds like it's time to step your mental game up pansies.

tumblr_llg81rYTI61qdasbeo1_500.gif

^^^ Streets

Chances are I'll have earbuds in anyway, but nice try.

check out the merit, Phillips grenade, jbl, those are speakers I can vouch for, all on amazon

It's amazing how little respect for other people is being exhibited here.

Playing your music, out loud, when other people would rather not have it is akin to me standing next to the tee box doing a vibrant African dance while you tee off. I bet all you internet tough guys would love that.

It's amazing how little respect for other people is being exhibited here.

Playing your music, out loud, when other people would rather not have it is akin to me standing next to the tee box doing a vibrant African dance while you tee off. I bet all you internet tough guys would love that.

So, at 7am, when it's just me on the course. It's rude for me to play music you can't hear 20' away. Interesting. Without context, you don't have an argument that music is rude, like any other rudeness it can only exist within a specific contextual environment.

It's amazing indeed, how little respect is being shown here. Pretty much on all sides.

Latest posts