• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest reason people don't play tournaments

For what reasons to you not play tournaments?

• Slow pace of play

Votes: 145 29.1%
  • Time commitments prevent (family, work, etc.)

Votes: 228 45.7%
  • Cost is preventative

Votes: 91 18.2%
  • I'm not good enough

Votes: 91 18.2%
  • Temperament of tournament players (take it too seriously, complaining, etc)

Votes: 110 22.0%
  • Stuck on course all day (would rather use time for other things)

Votes: 107 21.4%
  • May not enjoy the company of people on my card

Votes: 87 17.4%
  • Don't like have to commit to playing in advance

Votes: 32 6.4%
  • Don't want to pay the PDGA fee to play

Votes: 72 14.4%
  • Tournaments start too early in the day

Votes: 31 6.2%
  • Other (list in post)

Votes: 34 6.8%
  • Even though some of these may apply to me, I still like to play tournaments

Votes: 144 28.9%

• Total voters
Not redesigning/shortening slow play holes for tournaments may be the biggest reason for differences in when shotgun groups finish.

I'm probably different than most, but I don't understand the need for an hour after the last card. Who needs an hour to eat lunch, especially if there is food on site? Who needs to "rest" that long after walking 2-3 miles????? I think we should adopt some PGA stuff and penalize groups for slow play. AND, tee off second round 1/2 hour after last card.

The TD needs time to double check scores, write them on the scoreport cards and then reset the field according to score and division. Plus field any issues from the 1st round and if he/she is playing the event, eat lunch.

45 minutes is the minimum to get this all done, correctly.

I'll always remember J.T. Rosenthal standing behind me loudly yelling "Six! Four! Two!" while I was trying to add up scores, then walking out and loudly yelling that he had never, ever been to a tournament that had taken so long to post the round scores before. :\

I guess he thought he was being funny...
You can bet he would have the LONGEST walk to his starting hole the second round. And the 2 minute horn would be blown before he gets there. :D

I'd say the biggest reason people don't play tournaments is they're not disc golfers.

The TD needs time to double check scores, write them on the scoreport cards and then reset the field according to score and division. Plus field any issues from the 1st round and if he/she is playing the event, eat lunch.

AND give the players time to get to their holes---which takes a while on some courses.

In fact, even an hour lunch is 10-15 minutes shorter than an hour, for some players, for that very reason. Unless you eat while walking, which I've done, too.

I'd say the biggest reason people don't play tournaments is they're not disc golfers.

When I started playing I quickly joined into some league nights in an effort to meet people and improve. Perhaps it is my area, but most people were way too competitive (over $3-$5 entry fees) and not appreciative of having a n00b on their card. I was interested in tournament play, but after the reception I received at what is supposed to be a more casual game I decided there was no point in subjecting myself to that kind of environment.

What if the TD and/or support staff weren't playing, and deferred verifying scores until after the players start the second round?

Not redesigning/shortening slow play holes for tournaments may be the biggest reason for differences in when shotgun groups finish.

This is a biggie! We have one regional TD who always takes this into account, and is brave enough to go with an alternate tee to keep things flowing...and another who will actually make some holes MUCH harder because, you know, tournaments are supposed to be challenging. Guess which one sometimes has a two hour difference between first and last card in?

A little opposite the OP's topic here, but there are some things I really appreciate at a well-run tourney. Being 55 years old, I appreciate consistent flow (we can get stiff and sore in as little as a ten minute wait). We've even gotten into throwing a provisional CTP immediately after finishing the second round, for the ace fund, if we're not sure one's been hit. Makes sense to throw while you're still loose, rather than stiffening up for 30, 60, 90 minutes. If a card comes in with an ace hit, they take the pot, and we only 'wasted' one throw...

I appreciate TD's who are comfortable delegating when volunteers offer to check incoming cards, or help keep the hordes busy with side games (CTP's, Ring of Fire, etc). When food is made available on-site, there's no problem with a 45 minute break between rounds. (ps: someone should generally volunteer to make sure the TD, at least, has lunch taken care of, so they can get the work done efficiently!) And our local club does a great job at unsanctioned monthly tourneys mixing cards first round, and then putting people in with their division and standing for the second.

What if the TD and/or support staff weren't playing, and deferred verifying scores until after the players start the second round?

Even with verifying scores, it is easily possible to turn around a full field tournament (18 holes worth of groups) in under 45 minutes...counting from the point the first card comes in until the board is ready and groups can be sent back out. Of course, that relies on cards coming in promptly. That is the single biggest variable in how long a between-round break can last.

Whether playing or not, a TD with adequate support, which I'd call at least one other score-checker, should be able to turn around a board in no more than 30 minutes assuming all cards are turned in within a 10-15 minute period.

I typically give 30 minutes after last card as my second round start time. Sticking with that, I'm still usually sitting around for the last 10 minutes having finished setting up the board, eaten my lunch, and reloaded my bag with enough water and snacks for the next round. If the break lasts any more than an hour for the first players in, then we had some slow players/groups or some sort of extenuating circumstances on the course (usually weather-related).

I've lost count of how many times we're waiting for the "last" card to come in, only to find out they all walked to the parking lot and are drinking beer at their vehicles, scorecard in a back pocket.

I've lost count of how many times we're waiting for the "last" card to come in, only to find out they all walked to the parking lot and are drinking beer at their vehicles, scorecard in a back pocket.

That's where the 2-throw penalty to everyone on the scorecard for being late comes in really handy. Bang them with it just once, and they won't do it again...and hopefully everyone gets the message and is more vigilant in the future.

People will argue, just like the 30-second rule, that the moment that the 30 minutes begins is so vague that it is difficult to enforce. I think that if it reaches a point where the TD/staff has everything else done and is actively searching for a missing card that can't possibly still be on the course, then the group has had ample time to turn it in and deserves the penalty simply for causing an unnecessary delay.

I'm probably different than most, but I don't understand the need for an hour after the last card. Who needs an hour to eat lunch, especially if there is food on site? Who needs to "rest" that long after walking 2-3 miles????? I think we should adopt some PGA stuff and penalize groups for slow play. AND, tee off second round 1/2 hour after last card.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I played fewer events last year because our local (no travel) 2 round events start with sign-ups at 8am and end after the raffle somewhere around 5pm. That's 9 hours...ridiculous. Much of that time is due to extremely slow players. :wall:

A reputable source told me yesterday that the JPDGA will be dropping their 150 Open Class weight restriction at the end of this season. Oddly enough, this is a change being pushed for by the local Japanese tournament players. I'm glad they're finally standing up for themselves. It should only help increase event attendance numbers, especially with non Japanese players that are reluctant to buy "safety discs".

This is exactly what I was thinking. I played fewer events last year because our local (no travel) 2 round events start with sign-ups at 8am and end after the raffle somewhere around 5pm. That's 9 hours...ridiculous. Much of that time is due to extremely slow players. :wall:

This is how I think a tournament should go, on an 18 hole course, even if it is long and tough. Registration 8-9.
Meeting 9-9:15
Tee off 9:30
12:45-1 tee off second round
3-3:30 awards
Should happen this way, but rarely does

Score verifying is required before the next round starts. If a player miscalculates their score it's a 2 stroke penalty. That could effectively change which card they play on for the next round. Would also be unfair to players to NOT know that before heading out.

Last edited:

Latest posts