• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

hey jw if i should get a blizzard destroyer its one of my favorite discs but i really dont have the arm to pull one at heavy weights and i really dont want to buy a dx or pro ones

hey jw if i should get a blizzard destroyer its one of my favorite discs but i really dont have the arm to pull one at heavy weights and i really dont want to buy a dx or pro ones

can't hurt to try.
I am a 160g Pro-Destroyer thrower for similar reasons. Now i wanna try the blizzy's

New blizzard Wraith long drive straight into a skip on some old asphalt, the really rough stuff.

Faired very well, just minor skuffing.

I think I'm going to like these discs.

I still have to fill the sink to see if they are going to float. I had a 133g R-Pro Boss that floated in sink water, replaced it with a blizzard, gave the r-pro to a friend and sent it out into the water at the Fountain and sunk like a rock.

Anyway, the Blizzard Wraiths are domey like I like them and for such a light disc, man they go.

Attachments

• blizzard_skip.jpg
    blizzard_skip.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 100
But that's exactly what you DONT want. If there are bubbles in the rim the disc is LESS gyroscopic, which isn't what you want in a disc. The more gyroscopic, the more stable the disc is, the better the glide and more forward penetrating fade and wind resistance.

Seems I can get more spin umphh on my light weight DX Wraith than my 135g Blizzard Wraith but the Blizzards still go.

Not so sure about more gyroscopic and stable, stable fade go left (right hander) or stable stay level spinning top stable or both?

My 135g Blizzard Wraith seems to be less stable than my DX 147g... Seems to go along with what you are saying.

Initial impressions, more with the Blizzard versions, time will tell.

The Boss seemed fairly understable, but thrown with some hyzer into a 10 mph wind it flexed nicely. The Destroyers were nice and stable, and all of the have some extreme glide. I only got 4-5 distance throws with each and I can tell I will have a ton of fun pushing these out really far. They should have a solid spot in my bag in time for the Gentlemans Club Challenge and the memorial.

I'd like some more feedback on these before i make the plunge. It sounds like it may help me-45 and newish to the game- get more spin and distance. i wonder about the flippiness in lighter weights though. I may try them at around 150g first.

But that's exactly what you DONT want. If there are bubbles in the rim the disc is LESS gyroscopic, which isn't what you want in a disc. The more gyroscopic, the more stable the disc is, the better the glide and more forward penetrating fade and wind resistance.

From a physics standpoint,maybe, but Dave made some mistake Boss's back in 2010, that had bubbles in the rim.
These "Bubble Boss's" as they were called, were very overstable compared to regular Champ and Star runs, despite having many air bubbles in the rim.
I know some peeps in here bought Bubble Boss's, they will confirm this.

So there's science,
images

and then there's
images

I'd like some more feedback on these before i make the plunge. It sounds like it may help me-45 and newish to the game- get more spin and distance. i wonder about the flippiness in lighter weights though. I may try them at around 150g first.

Try picking up a couple of DX in light weights first. You can get them cheap.

After my own experiences with lightweight drivers and getting them out farther than my 160 class discs that I thought were the deal, and after reading the quote a few pages back by the Innova guy, I think you are going to see a trend in the future with more lightweight drivers.

They work on two fronts.

1. They go long.

2. They improve your form by using them and making them go longer.

If you flutter discs, the lighter drivers will accentuate that and they will not help you in the short run but if you stick to them, they will help you get rid of the flutter and you will be walking a lot farther to throw your next shot.

There will be more and more of these discs coming out because they work and they work very well.

I think the best thing to do is to "do it" don't wait for others to do it for you, to tell you that something is going or not going to work.

Invest a few bucks on a disc that will change your game positively.

If you OAT or flutter, what ever you want to call it, they will fix that or show you just how bad your drive is.

They work and they work well.

Try one for a few dozen throws and see what it does for you.

so heres my question. with my low arm speed and squeaking out to 300' wide open, is it worth me getting a destroyer or wraith and in what suggested weight?

Try picking up a couple of DX in light weights first. You can get them cheap.

After my own experiences with lightweight drivers and getting them out farther than my 160 class discs that I thought were the deal, and after reading the quote a few pages back by the Innova guy, I think you are going to see a trend in the future with more lightweight drivers.

They work on two fronts.

1. They go long.

2. They improve your form by using them and making them go longer.

If you flutter discs, the lighter drivers will accentuate that and they will not help you in the short run but if you stick to them, they will help you get rid of the flutter and you will be walking a lot farther to throw your next shot.

There will be more and more of these discs coming out because they work and they work very well.

I think the best thing to do is to "do it" don't wait for others to do it for you, to tell you that something is going or not going to work.

Invest a few bucks on a disc that will change your game positively.

If you OAT or flutter, what ever you want to call it, they will fix that or show you just how bad your drive is.

They work and they work well.

Try one for a few dozen throws and see what it does for you.
this sounds like really good advice.thank you!
I think i'll get me some lightweight DX plastic.

If you don't like the DX's, you probably won't like the Blizzards.

That way, you save a little money.

If you OAT or flutter your discs, work on getting rid of that first before you start going light.

A nice light Leopard would be my first suggestion for someone going light, then go on to something a little faster.

I went with the Wraith and then the Boss because I liked the flight and fade of the Boss. The Boss is my first disc above 11.

The light DX discs will beat in quickly though. They are not good for very long if you are hitting trees with them.

I'm no expert lightweight driver teacher, I've just used them a lot in the last three years at two distinct times in my learning and the curve got a lot steeper in the improvement department because of them.

I threw a drive way past 100 steps on one of the first couple of times I threw this new disc.

That's a really long way for me. Talk about staying in the air and watching the thing get smaller.

Funny thing is, this is nothing new.

From a physics standpoint,maybe, but Dave made some mistake Boss's back in 2010, that had bubbles in the rim.
These "Bubble Boss's" as they were called, were very overstable compared to regular Champ and Star runs, despite having many air bubbles in the rim.
I know some peeps in here bought Bubble Boss's, they will confirm this.

That probably has more to do with the PLH than the bubbles though. But I totally agree with the Innova is the opposite of science lol

So if I was going to pick up some blizzards and wanted to make sure I didn't end up with flippy discs Destroyers would be my best bet correct?

I guess I could have asked the question a little differently. One thing I want to know is if people are interested or know of others who would be interested in light weight Champion long range drivers. The other question would be probably a little trickier as people might not have an idea of what weight is actually best for them until they try. But that question is: what weight do you think would work best for you?

The fact of the matter is that we are able, (with some difficultly), to make virtually any weight Boss, Destroyer, Katana, etc. in Champion down to about 110 gms. If we bother to go to the research time and expense, will disc golf respond to this new product or will they continue to follow the mantra of "heavier is better".

Personally, I have tried every weight there is in our long range drivers and find that I am getting better results with 150 gms than I was with 170 gms. As a side note: I had Bobby Musick try a 155 and 157 gm Boss at La Mirada last weekend and he was not only able to throw it immediately, but he threw it better than he threw his heavies. He was just as accurate, but longer.

So far, I can only see three disadvantages and at least four advantages. The disadvantages are: they don't penetrate leaves and other foliage as well, they don't forgive poor throwing (flutter) as well, they may not be as good in the wind, (although this has not been shown yet). So far, any wind disadvantage seems to be tied to flutter. And, also tied to flutter is that they don't work as well for side arms because it is too easy to flutter.

The advantages I see are: they are much easier to whip, they carry farther, they make my bag lighter when I have several, they do well with hitting trees as they don't seem to taco as much, they seem to have a little less low speed overstability. Subjectively, they are more fun and I don't seem to get as tired.

Nice.

Gyroscopics. Don't forget about gyroscopics. The bubbles in the flight plate move the weight distribution of the disc to the wing. These blizzard discs are supposed to have similar weight in the wing as a 175g has is in the wing. So you're throwing the same 175g driver but with a lighter flight plate. The wind should effect these blizzard disc all that much compared to a 175g. Same gyroscopics.

Gyroscopics don't matter on a breezy day with up/downdrafts. That's more of what I was referring to. You throw a disc that light in any kind of wind and you're going to see it get tossed around a lot more. Sometimes you'll be fine, other times you'll catch an updraft and watch your disc lift up 50 feet in the air, other times slam straight into the ground. They're more affected by this than the heavier discs.

Gyroscopics don't matter on a breezy day with up/downdrafts. That's more of what I was referring to. You throw a disc that light in any kind of wind and you're going to see it get tossed around a lot more. Sometimes you'll be fine, other times you'll catch an updraft and watch your disc lift up 50 feet in the air, other times slam straight into the ground. They're more affected by this than the heavier discs.
True, and acknowledged. Gryroscopics will also help keep the disc flat throughout flight and prevent the disc from tipping over to one side and being pushed up/down by wind.

Latest posts