• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buffalo time

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Heading to the Buffalo area tomorrow for a bit of DG. I plan on playing

Beaver Island
Joseph Davis
Wilson Tuscarora
Chestnut Ridge

I have to see where Chestnut Ridge is compared to the other courses and if it's not too far I'm definitely stopping since it's the only one I haven't played in that group. Should be a fun day.

By the way, thanks for the great pics of Chestnut Matt. Your review along with the pics convinced me to give the course a try. I guess this site does work! :)

Das Ridge

I was tempted to revise my rating for the ridge down since I haven't been able to match my 1st score there in 5 attempts.;) I go for the unique terrain, and the fact that unlike the state parks there is no tool booth at the entrance. It is a woods course, but IMO better than Schenley and town of Sweden in every way except for the lack of concrete tees. Enjoy your trip.

Hey, it was a ton of fun.. 81 holes, I'm beat! Chestnut was really fun, I'm glad I stopped there. Definitely some unique holes and I have to go back during the winter, that sledding hill looks insane.

Glad you enjoyed the Ridge, Tim. Hopefully it wasn't too much of a haul to get there.
Last night I stopped by Evangola, the other one from the Buffalo-Niagara area. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but that one is a bit too far out of the way, esp from Rochester.

I've been to Evangola once but we went on the day of a tournament so the course was rather crowded. We ended up playing about half the holes but we're kind of impatient so we decided to move on shortly after that since it would've taken us another hour to complete the back 9. I think we played Beaver Island, Joseph Davis and Wilson after leaving Evangola (this was about 2 years ago).

I don't mind the drives much as long as there are a few courses to play in the area. I wouldn't take a 2 hour drive for one course but if I can make a day of it then it tends to be worth it.

New Course in Western New York

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls...the new course at Como Lake Park is now up and running! All 18 baskets are installed as of this evening, and all tees have been marked. Bring your floating discs, you may need them.
:) :) :)

Awesome! You'll have to take pics when you get a chance and I may have to make another Buffalo trip! Btw, are you going to the tournament at Chestnut Ridge this weekend Matt?

Right on glad to hear of another course up and running.. We'll be sure to slide over and check it out on our tour of the area.
And Thanks for rapping with us today Matt. We enjoyed Chestnut

I'll get some pics once they finish putting up the finishing touches on the course. Some professionally produced signs and such are in the works. But it is quite playable and well marked now, with temporary laminated signs stapled on the appropriate posts.
I won't be at the ridge; my play is still ~20 strokes shy of being competitive, though that is better than I was a year ago. I'm assuming you'll be there...if so have a good time. I'm not sure how the turn out will be, what with the tourney at Sweden at the same time. If I was going to chose one I'd do the ridge, and not just because it's closer.

I'm not going to either.. not much of a morning person. I try not to see single digit AM times on weekends whenever possible :) I'm not sure exactly where you're located, I thought you may go just to check out the tournament, not necessarily play in it (this time). I was also curious if my flyer was still on the bulletin board there :D

Hey TimG,
What time were you at Como today (Sunday)? I think a dozen or so of the big local players were set to tee off at 10:30 or so. I went through an hour earlier.

If anyone tries to tell you the lake isn't deep, well that depends on where you go in. My clothes are still drying from #10.

I was there around 2 or 3pm. There were still a lot of people there when I arrived but it looks like they were finishing up as I was starting.

I really liked the course.. a lot of fun. Also, I know it was deep, I saw someone swimming in there for discs. That person was way more dedicated to getting their discs back than I would be. #14 was pretty crazy, slightly off shot and you're disc will be taking a swim. I played from the blues and found the course to be fairly challenging on the back 9, I'll definitely be playing it again when I get a chance.

Upgrades / Updates

The tee signs up at Joseph Davis have recently been replaced. They are now in the style of the ones at Wilson, much more consistent than the old ones. The par that is posted is now reflective of 21st century disc golf. Great to see such an old course is still being kept up and improved.

And on the Wilson subject, have you noticed that the course info page seems to be "locked"? There seems to be no link to update the hole info, which is stuck in the old two tee format from a few months ago. Is this on purpose, or just a glitch?

Good to hear that about JDSP.. that is a fun course although a bit eerie since it seems to be empty a lot when I play there.

I'll unlock Wilson now. If a course has "complete" information I can lock it so changes can no longer be made. I guess Wilson wasn't quite done, my mistake.

Thanks, Tim. I think Wilson was ok, just not updated since we went to the 4 tee grid. I guess a good course never is truly "done" however. Even 27 year old JD is still changing. They recently moved the 12th hole onto the island in the gravel road, with the road OB. This works out since nobody uses that road anyway. Makes it a bit more challenging and interesting.
I also get that eerie feeling at JD. If that swimming pool were still there I know there would be more people in the lot; however there would also likely be someone manning the park's toll booth, which now seems to be only occupied by hornets.

I know I filled out Wilson recently although I don't remember there being 4 tees. I normally play from the farthest ones I can find so I definitely could have missed them. Have they updated the scorecards too? I copied all the course info off that when I got home.

Also, you're right about JDSP.. I'll take the eeriness over a manned toll booth :D It's actually a really nice park, I'm surprised it doesn't see more use. That house in the far corner of the park by #17 is pretty amazing too.

You're right, Wilson doesn't have 4 tees, only three. But only two were listed originally. They are kind of easy to miss - just painted bricks flush with the ground. You play the blues and I play the whites, but I figured we should get the reds listed as well.

Ah ok.. I didn't realize I missed the reds.. woops! Thanks for adding them.

No problemo, Tim.
And I almost forgot to ask the stupid question, what does "Blue (long) tees play 9,14,4" mean (referring to JD)? To one who knows the DG lingo, I'm sure it's obvious, but it has me stumped.

I'm not really sure to be honest. As much as I play, I'm still not too familiar with some of the lingo. I'd love to know the answer to that question too.