• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Complaining About Facebook Auctions MEGATHREAD!!!

I am glad to hear others share this thought. Don't get me wrong, my collector's mindset (I collected comics for 30 years, so awesome Valiant reference earlier) is what fed my plastic addiction early on. But the idea of spending more than $20 (shoot, I hate paying star/GL prices) for something I want to throw at trees is silly to me. To each their own, but there is definitely a bubble. Sure, there's something cool about old OOP plastic, but its a thing to throw. I read the comics, over and over. Sure I bagged them, but I read them. A disc in a bag is a sad thing. It should fly, dude.

The best is when the top pros put something up. Saw Catrina UIlibari put a 6/10 used magnet up and they went for 40 bucks a piece. Paige Pierce's go for 3 times their value because I think the winning bidder might think he's going to get a date? Cale's discs go way over 40 and most are nothing special.

The thing that I don't understand is why the Pre AJ, and no flight numbers are going so high? CFR destroyers are going for 30 +?

The only thing that I am seeing deflating are USDGC Rocs! You can't get 25 bucks for one unless it's a uber rare one. I kind of get the Champ Gators, First Run Destroyers, etc but some of the most run of the mill discs are going for insane prices. I've sold a few on the Dollar auction and scratched my head that someone would pay 25 + for a tourney stamped CFR destroyer, but who am I to argue?

I've got an unthrown first run for you at that price:D

Are all the oop discs now being sold on FB? I can't find the sweet discs members would trade/sell for reasonable prices just a year ago in the MP. Nowadays, our MP has discs for sale higher than retail or Buy it Now on feeBay.

I've gotten allot better deals on Facebook than in the marketplace. I'd hate to say it but I think most have gone to the Facebook pages. I sell on Facebook and buy in the DGCR MP.

OTar8fx.png

I'm not a collector, but I'm old and have some cool stuff laying around my basement from when I was younger and used them...like a stack of 9 of those first-run Soft Rhynos from about 1999 or so. I wonder if cashing them in now would be smart, or if this sport's participation numbers will continue to soar like they are now for another 10 or 20 years, then there might be a whole lot of extra people interested in being new collectors in the future and drive up demand for such collectibles?

I'm in no hurry to unload them at any rate or anything. Just genuinely curious. I certainly believe the sport will only get bigger and better in the future...

Are the discs still good to throw after all those years of sitting around? Or are people buying these to hang?

After selling my first three discs on the Facebook group, I'm seriously thinking about buying Discraft and DD misprint packs and re-selling the discs individually on FB. I honestly think I could sell 6 out of the ten in the pack and come out ahead, or at worst even.

One thing I've noticed on those auctions is that people don't understand what an auction is. The going bid is $3 and they'll bid it up to $10. That's stupid -- keep bidding it up a buck at a time and you could end up getting that same disc for $8 or $7. I laugh every time I see stuff like that.

Are all the oop discs now being sold on FB? I can't find the sweet discs members would trade/sell for reasonable prices just a year ago in the MP. Nowadays, our MP has discs for sale higher than retail or Buy it Now on feeBay.

Seems that way....

Yeah i def think there is a bubble look at wasp tooled buzzzes. they def are down in value from the 10th year.

There was a bubble for wasp tooled Buzzes? I can't find any really under 40 or 50 bucks....maybe one or two beat ones for 35....not sure what they used to go for though.....

I made a thread like this awhile back and got made fun of... glad there are other people that believe the same thing as I do. Its getting rediculous. 80 bucks for a beat to H*ll SE Rhyno.. yea riiiiight. or 55 bucks for a Beat up Proline Leopard with a bunch of Ink in it.... RIIIIGHT

Yep....would love to try a pro line Leo or 11x TB or Eagle...but Im not paying 40 or 50 bucks for one.....

New and used 11x Tbirds and old flat Valks are the only discs I throw that are expensive. New 11x Tbirds have nearly doubled in price over the last two years. I don't see them getting any cheaper anytime soon.

Grr...see above lol

The best is when the top pros put something up. Saw Catrina UIlibari put a 6/10 used magnet up and they went for 40 bucks a piece. Paige Pierce's go for 3 times their value because I think the winning bidder might think he's going to get a date?

I think i'd rather go on a date with Catrina personally lol...oops did I say that out loud.....

I've gotten allot better deals on Facebook than in the marketplace. I'd hate to say it but I think most have gone to the Facebook pages. I sell on Facebook and buy in the DGCR MP.

Ive gotten exactly one deal on FB all the rest end up going for more than I'm willing to spend within the first two or 3 bids...plus it seems no one is really putting up "throwers" anymore it all seems to be dominated with collectable stuff and a bunch of idiots they will continually over pay for something that's even remotely hinted as collectable.....

I have a very pearly gummy proline/champ factory second Monster that I bet I could get 30+ for on there...I like i though so I'm keeping it..but it would be interesting experiment nonetheless......

Last edited:
Is Facebook killing the Marketplace?

So I ask again, is facebook killing the marketplace? I have noticed a slew of people have gone to facebook due to crazy pricing and have conversely noticed that posts to the marketplace have rapidly declined. Normally I would chalk it up to it being summer but the Facebook threads seem to be alive and well, with most posts being buried within minutes.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I freaking out over nothing? What as a community can we do to stop this?

It's not facebook's fault. It's the morons who spew their garbage out and the bigger morons who willingly hand over their money for it.

i bet ebay has seen a dip in dg sales too. ive had so many lowball offers here and facebook tends to be a sellers market so it makes sense.

I've noticed locals don't sit outside Walgreen's and sling plastic, cuz they can get closer to its true value selling from the trunk at the course. Or they don't sell outta the trunk, cuz they can get closer to value selling on the local forum. Or they sell on DGR for more value from the disc. Or eBay. Or DGCR. Or now, FB.

What's the problem? The best going rate for sellers is on FB. Why the hell would I want to unload plastic I hope to turn into radiator fans and tires on DGCR when there is more $$ somewhere else? Out of some prideful circlejerk of communitarianism?

I joined DGR to sling some plastic. I joined DGCR when it became Sucker Cove. And now apparently the suckers have sailed to FB. Currently awaiting approval for Daily group membership... plastic in hand, won't see it on DGCR.

Really, what's the problem? Do a fair service, represent items well, and go where the prices are... seems totally ethical to me.

MP was fun while it lasted, already gone from what I see. Several dudes are selling higher than retail. Where are the former MP top sellers... Facebook

Well I certainly am now selling on Facebook. Some reason everyone pays ridiculous prices, but then again I buy on here for the good prices. So I use both

I'm primarily Facebook now. I bought a disc or two here but for the most part I find better deals, and get allot more money selling on Facebook. I love this site but getting a few people ragging on my sales posts, and not having any bids on some auctions I moved to the Facebook pages. I've gotten some absolute steals on Dollar Disc Golf. There are some dumb things that go for crazy prices. Especially when a touring pro sells them, and the preflight and CFR stuff but I think it's as good if not better priced then the MP.

Larger market on fb
No need to set prices
Feelers are ok

Thats all i see as a difference. Nothing bad about it at all,people are still selling and the collectors market is booming mpre than ever. Though,because of all the new collectors,lots of older collectors are cashing out. Like me,i never thought id sell my ce aviars,but i cashed out and made out well enough to not regret it.

Most people that sold a lot on here dont bother much with it anymore because now they dont have to set prices just to list for any interest. The lowballery is still a huge thorn in the dg markets ass but that will never go away.

The only downside to doing business on fb? There is no feedback system to see what tools/dbags to avoid doing business with.

Their are too damn many of the facebook auction groups now, I can't keep up with them all. Seems like it's a lot of garbage being listed and fools paying through the nose for it.

It all sucks now.