• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 Des Moines Challenge July 9-11

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/52009
https://desmoineschallenge.com/
https://www.discgolfscene.com/tourn...Challenge_Presented_by_Discraft_2021/register

https://udisclive.com/live/dmc2021

Added event when BSF was canceled. Ball golf course that might have some potential. Some open holes, some in the woods...

Not sure how much the map on here helps as the distances aren't even close to the ones listed here.

Just a quick, huge thanks brutus, for getting these threads up with the links. :hfive:

Ball golf course that might have some potential. Some open holes, some in the woods.

Where are you seeing that this is a ball golf course? Pickard Park was designed by Juliana Korver back in 1999, and is in a public park. I haven't been there before, but despite it looking somewhat open in sections, I didn't think it was a ball golf course.

Pickard is definitely NOT on a golf course. There is some coverage from the 2017 US Masters on CCDG but the DMC this year will feature several new goldish level teeboxes and they also have brand new Discatcher Pro28 baskets. I'm sure there will be some hot scores, but I think viewers will enjoy this course much more than this weekend's course and some others we have seen on tour this year.

Where are you seeing that this is a ball golf course? Pickard Park was designed by Juliana Korver back in 1999, and is in a public park. I haven't been there before, but despite it looking somewhat open in sections, I didn't think it was a ball golf course.

There's my awesome ADHD typing again... That was supposed to say "Ball Golf Style" not actually a stick golf course, lol...

Looking at the pics, it seems to have several long ish wide open holes with fairways cut out of long grass rough... Reminds me of a golf course.

img_4947.jpg

Hopefully they can get in the country.

Albert Tamm arrived in the US successfully this week. He's playing in the Portland Open this weekend, and was in the DGPT press conference yesterday. Exciting news, and hopefully that bodes well for other Europeans who want to come over. I believe Kristin and Silver have already started their 14 days outside of the restricted area and will try arriving soon.

There's my awesome ADHD typing again... That was supposed to say "Ball Golf Style" not actually a stick golf course, lol...

Looking at the pics, it seems to have several long ish wide open holes with fairways cut out of long grass rough... Reminds me of a golf course.

img_4947.jpg

Yes there a lot of longer more open holes, but they mostly all include some nice elevation, well placed trees, and very particular landing spots. The picture you included is a 440 ft downhill over the pond shot that I hit the top of the basket on my drive when I last played here, but I think that hole is being tweaked as well.

The Des Moines, Iowa area has several great courses that could be featured but the staff is showcasing Pickard and seemingly beefing it up for the top dawgs. I'm likely going to be making the 3 hours drive south at some point in the next month to check it out with some local friends and will report back.

Local FYI :

New baskets will have chains but no cages June 7 to 12th. Cages being re-powder coated. I got no details on the defect. Very nice the prep for this layout and event going very fast.
Coursework days going on with raffle tickets for schwag. See book of faces for Des Moines Metro Disc Golf and/or 515 Disc Golf. Volunteers needed for stuff like spotters, parking attendants and UDisc score keepers. Nifty shirt. "Rumor" that event with be $25 a day for spectators..

Last edited:
To confirm what others have posted, Pickard Park in its normal configuration is just about the longest and most open in the area. With all of the great work being put in by volunteers and the even staff, the XL layout being used for the event will make it much more suitable for touring pros with longer, more demanding shots as well as added out of bounds (some holes were combined to make par 4s and new holes were created). Having played the XL layout last year at an unsanctioned tournament put on by the TD of the pro tour event, I can say that it retains much of the fun and challenge of the original course while fitting the modern style of courses on tour. Hopefully those playing the event find the course as enjoyable as everyone else I know that has played this new layout. Everyone I've talked to can't wait to see the pros attack this course and (hopefully!) enjoy it.

It feels weird even typing this, but does anyone know if there is a secondary market for spectator tickets? lol I am happy, and annoyed that the exclusive tickets sold out.

I am so pumped to see the pros play Pickard. I went to college at Simpson in Indianola, and Pickard is where I fell in love with disc golf. It's an excellent course and I am VERY excited to see it get this kind of spotlight. Calling Pickard a "Golf Course Style Course" is off base, trust me. It is longer and more open than the other courses in the area, but it is significantly less forgiving of errant shots than the golf courses are. The issue with golf courses imo is that it often doesn't matter if you're way off your line as long as you bite off a lot of distance. I haven't played the layout being used, but I suspect a few of the holes are probably going to play like a golf course, but almost all of them will demand an accurate shot and there are wooded holes. The open fairways are often next to thick woods that acts as natural OB. An errant shot usually gets punished. Some of me hyping up Pickard is because it holds a special place in my heart, sure, but I legitimately think people are going to be impressed with the course.

I'm just hoping it doesn't rain all 3 days. I'm playing on the AM side and have a VIP spectator pass for Sunday and the forecast isn't that great right now.

Latest posts