• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 Des Moines Challenge July 9-11

So excited for Raven Newsome finishing 4th, a lot of us in NC were rooting for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he probably gained quite a few fans today as well. Honestly the entire lead card seemed so relaxed today, I don't think I've ever seen Paul smile so much, especially in a fairly tight final round lead card battle. Ben gets a bit punchy on missed putts but then will give a goofy smile to the camera next hole. Gavin really seems like he is having fun too, he seems to get less upset about missing a putt when contending for a title than I do in my backyard. Definitely a nice change of pace from watching coldness to each other on a card. Everyone was fist bumping and laughing a good chunk of the round. Count me in!

28-chain Innova somethings. I had a couple of good catches that would have bounced off of a Mach X, so I was happy with them.

edit: Oh, they had them powder coated and/or wrapped for the tourney, too, so the current color might not be stock.

Thank you! That makes sense.

And it looks like you really upped your game in round two!!! Well done!

Last edited:
I wish Calvin had been on lead card today, that 1078 round might have put some pressure on Paul. Paul saving par on 17 was so clutch, no idea how me made it out of that rough to a position for putt.

I wish Calvin had been on lead card today, that 1078 round might have put some pressure on Paul. Paul saving par on 17 was so clutch, no idea how me made it out of that rough to a position for putt.
Certainly not as big of a deal as Conrad's toss in but maybe mark the spot where Paul threw out on 17 for locals to try it.

Certainly not as big of a deal as Conrad's toss in but maybe mark the spot where Paul threw out on 17 for locals to try it.

It's jail in there for sure. Having played Pickard many times including this weekend, I can definitely say the one thing you do not want to do on that hole is have the disc kick right. The rough at Pickard is definitely rough. I have no idea how he made it out of there with that line and put himself in putting range.

I think he probably gained quite a few fans today as well. Honestly the entire lead card seemed so relaxed today, I don't think I've ever seen Paul smile so much, especially in a fairly tight final round lead card battle. Ben gets a bit punchy on missed putts but then will give a goofy smile to the camera next hole. Gavin really seems like he is having fun too, he seems to get less upset about missing a putt when contending for a title than I do in my backyard. Definitely a nice change of pace from watching coldness to each other on a card. Everyone was fist bumping and laughing a good chunk of the round. Count me in!

Rathbun is probably just happy to actually have access to discs now if he needs to replace anything.:p

That's not necessary. On hole 17 a garden-variety kick to the right puts the player into that spot. It's a frequent occurrence. Everyone who has played Pickard knows exactly where Paul was and how much that lie sucks.

That's not necessary. On hole 17 a garden-variety kick to the right puts the player into that spot. It's a frequent occurrence. Everyone who has played Pickard knows exactly where Paul was and how much that lie sucks.

Weese was waaay back in there and went backdoor anny FH and almost threw it in yesterday. Was a pretty nifty shot as well.

Nice performances by Gannon and Weese. Jessica gave herself a chance if Missy wasn't able to seal the deal. Good on both of them.

Nice to see Paige genuinely enthusiastic about Missy's first Elite Series win. Pierce definitely didn't play to her standard. The way some of her shots were getting away from her, she was fortunate to still have been in striking distance up to the last few holes. She got quite a few lucky kicks, but never seemed to quite get it together that final round. She could have won had her control been even close to typical.

Solid performances by Cat and Kristin.
All in all, a fun final round to watch.

I thought so too because ever since 2014 Paul McBeth has won every DGPT event of those seasons after playing Worlds.

Latest posts