• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 WACO Charity Open Mar 11-13

Not a great week for Kona. . not only did she come in 33rd but DDs other players cruched her. . Valerie won and Macie at 6th, Holyn at 17th.
Horrible start for the year for Kona. . this is the tournament that went well for her last year

But Kona gets her money. .so hard to feel to bad for her

Strange i can´t even find Valerie on DD team page. . .

Just double checked and NOPE, nowhere to be found. Pretty mind-blowing.

Neither Valerie or Mason are listed on DD's Team Page.

Pretty big fail on their part

Appears to be amateur hour over there when it comes to website management.

On the topic of Kona, what good does social media do, if there is no success on the course?

Wouldn't potential customers start wondering why she's not playing very well?

Konas last insta post is about what discs she was missing in the bag at Waco. . . so she wins with Innova and gets 33rd with DD.
Is that the kind of social media she get´s $125000 a year for?

I´m to old to get the social media thing. . .but a players job has to be to sell discs and promote the brand?

I was close, -20 took 2nd but I should have remembered McBeth is even three strokes better than any wind.

Yep. When I saw he shot -8 on Friday I thought, that -20 prediction is not gonna age well.

Rumor has it that McBeth saw your post, solemnly stood up, and said "Challenge accepted. Hold my understable discs..."

That would be cool to see! Are you volunteering? lol. Valerie M seems to have adjusted pretty well to new sponsor, seems like Kona is still adjusting.

I'd do it. Who we got?

Wysocki, Dickerson, Matty O, Mason Ford, Matt Bell, Marwede, Cat, Hailey King, Kona, Valerie M.

Who else we interested in?

Ask Simon Lizotte that. :)

He already cemented his status before moving into social media fame.

Not a great comparison.

Kona isn't exactly on Simon's level in her field either.

Plus he just had a kid and an injury before that, so fair reasons why he isn't playing as well.

She's childless and lives on the road playing whenever she wants.

Konas last insta post is about what discs she was missing in the bag at Waco. . . so she wins with Innova and gets 33rd with DD.
Is that the kind of social media she get´s $125000 a year for?

I´m to old to get the social media thing. . .but a players job has to be to sell discs and promote the brand?

This is from her facebook page. I likely will not buy any DD discs based on this ringing endorsement. She is basically saying her DD discs aren't as good as the Innova discs she used last year to clean up the field.

"I started off playing really well up until hole 12 the first round and then proceeded to lose confidence. This was the first time using my new bag in the woods and it definitely showed."

This is from her facebook page. I likely will not buy any DD discs based on this ringing endorsement. She is basically saying her DD discs aren't as good as the Innova discs she used last year to clean up the field.

I bet Valerie Mandujano was happy with her DD discs. Maybe she could sell you on some trilogy plastic?

I bet Valerie Mandujano was happy with her DD discs. Maybe she could sell you on some trilogy plastic?

Likely not, but you know that is not my point, lol.

That shot Valerie made on hole 17 in that situation was nothing short of amazing. She definitely has solid control of her bag. It seems she did her homework and Kona didn't.

"I started off playing really well up until hole 12 the first round and then proceeded to lose confidence. This was the first time using my new bag in the woods and it definitely showed."

I don't read that as her saying Innova was better. Read it more as her knowing her Innova discs better, meaning that it's on her for not taking more time to learn her DD bag before the tournament.

It's hardly a scientific analysis but it seems like Kona has always been a little streaky. One of those players who you see on lead card day 2 a lot and then ends up pretty far down the leaderboard.

Ricky averaged "only" 1038 on the weekend, and his rating already dropped earlier this month.

Has Wysocki Peaked?

LOL.

Ricky will be on point soon. Waco wasn't his best last year but right after he caught fire.

This year McBeth seems to have his putter working better than this time last year. We might see some really great golf in the coming weeks from them along with some of these up and comers.

Luke, Gannon, and Drew have certainly impressed.

Kona probably got a huge $$ offer from DD, which caused her to jump ship from Innova. It was never about the discs, it was about the money.

Innova makes better discs, plain and simple. They have more options of any sort of mold anyone could ever want. DD simply doesn't, and their plastic blends aren't as good.

Kona had MONTHS to nail down a DD setup. Apparently she hasn't yet.

Strictly speaking for the discs (not the disc contracts), if I were a tour player I'd choose Innova all day over DD/Trilogy.

Horribly disconcerting finish for someone who's supposed to be DD's premier female marketing star/player.

All that said, it probably isn't really up to any of us to be armchair QBs when it comes to what other people do with their lives.

Last edited:
Another struggle for Kona with DD. IMO, she's the most overrated FPO player out there right now given her new contract. To me, she's never consistently in the top 10 of best FPO players. Sure, she's had a couple of really good wins throughout her career, but she's outside the top 10 more than in it. DD no doubt paid her for her social media, but at what point does winning matter to them? She'll probably post something about how practice went great but couldn't put it together in the rounds. She'll probably change her putting stance or putters again.

Good summation, and I agree. I don't think Kona's really ready to be the "face of the franchise" yet. She's a talented player, but WILDLY inconsistent.

Kona probably got a huge $$ offer from DD, which caused her to jump ship from Innova. It was never about the discs, it was about the money.

Innova makes better discs, plain and simple. They have more options of any sort of mold anyone could ever want. DD simply doesn't, and their plastic blends aren't as good.

Kona had MONTHS to nail down a DD setup. Apparently she hasn't yet.

Strictly speaking for the discs (not the disc contracts), if I were a tour player I'd choose Innova all day over DD/Trilogy.

Horribly disconcerting finish for someone who's supposed to be DD's premier female marketing star/player.

All that said, it probably isn't really up to any of us to be armchair QBs when it comes to what other people do with their lives.

Eerrrrrrrrr, correct me if Iam wrong but isn't that what half this site is about, lol.

Maybe you misread my comment. It really wasn't about her decision to move to Dynamic Discs, but more about DD's decision to offer her such a big contract based on social media. If I were them I would want more for my money they a social media post admitting she wasn't prepared to play last weekend and didn't care enough to be familiar with her new sponsor's discs.

Eerrrrrrrrr, correct me if Iam wrong but isn't that what half this site is about, lol.

Maybe you misread my comment. It really wasn't about her decision to move to Dynamic Discs, but more about DD's decision to offer her such a big contract based on social media. If I were them I would want more for my money they a social media post admitting she wasn't prepared to play last weekend and didn't care enough to be familiar with her new sponsor's discs.

I wasn't trying to come off as snarky there, and I agree with you. This site IS for dissecting players. Your comments are all very valid.

Kona's social media persona seems to far outstrip her playing ability. She seems likable/personable, but I don't think she's shown enough talent on the course to be offered the kind of money she was.

I think Kona had more than enough time to learn all those discs. Why she wasn't prepared or didn't have the right discs in the bag is beyond me.

WTH happened to Paige Shue? She used to be DD's female player extraordinaire. Does she even play anymore?

Last edited: