• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT The Preserve Championship 2022

Kona is not even on the Press Conference for the U.S Womens, so not even the "media" person. .

Bradley for the win, must have been nice odds on that. .i dont think many saw that coming. . .but to pick a winner in 2022 has not been easy

I think this has been the most exciting season for the MPO in a while. We're seeing more and more names at the top instead of the 3 or 4 like it was 2012-2019. Paul is struggling? Ricky has been injured (but came back strong). Eagle is injured. We're seeing a new Simon. Gurthie has been back up there. Bradley. Conrad is still up there. It feels like the talent has gotten so much deeper in the last 3 years than the last 10-15 combined.

I think this has been the most exciting season for the MPO in a while. We're seeing more and more names at the top instead of the 3 or 4 like it was 2012-2019. Paul is struggling? Ricky has been injured (but came back strong). Eagle is injured. We're seeing a new Simon. Gurthie has been back up there. Bradley. Conrad is still up there. It feels like the talent has gotten so much deeper in the last 3 years than the last 10-15 combined.

I agree, , and that makes it even more impressive that Simon got close to get 3-in a row

I agree, , and that makes it even more impressive that Simon got close to get 3-in a row

Totally. I remember hearing about Simon when was 15 or 16, and the pros went over to Europe and said he could be scary good one day. I hope we are finally seeing what he can do!

Bradley's post victory interview was great. Why did you win Brad?

f2ea60f18dd8767426e0713f098f43bf.jpg

So is the Preserve our Masters?

I think so.

How so? Which Masters?

Do you mean like in frolf Masters, where only old people are allowed to play?

Or are you alluding to [stick & ball golf] The Masters... where only white people were allowed to play for the first 40 years?

Either way, it seems unnecessarily exclusionary.

The Preserve, a private course, bought by one of the big name, old hands of the game, which all the pros agree is a veritable disc golf Elysian Fields. Yeah, I can see the comparisons to Augusta.

That disc golf doesn't carry all the exclusionary baggage of ball golf is all for the better.

Holy wow, Kona. 28th place and 30 strokes behind 1st. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but she is getting exposed so far this year.

On the MPO side, who had Bradley winning? Looking back to him 10 years ago or so, he was always a little arrogant on and off the course. It seems he may have turned it around over the last couple of years. Anyone have any insights or played with him recently that can weigh in on this?

Someone has been exposed.

The Preserve, a private course, bought by one of the big name, old hands of the game, which all the pros agree is a veritable disc golf Elysian Fields. Yeah, I can see the comparisons to Augusta.

That disc golf doesn't carry all the exclusionary baggage of ball golf is all for the better.

Not yet, but Harris/Munn will work on it.

How so? Which Masters?

Or are you alluding to [stick & ball golf] The Masters... where only white people were allowed to play for the first 40 years?

Do most people use Masters pejoratively?

Holy wow, Kona. 28th place and 30 strokes behind 1st. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but she is getting exposed so far this year.

Kona is not even on the Press Conference for the U.S Womens, so not even the "media" person.

Someone has been exposed.
I think a lot of people realized that Dynamic was taking a big gamble there. Her rating is pretty consistent and up slightly from this time last year, so it's not like there has been a big decline in her play. There are just 20 women with a higher rating than her. 950 golf might just be her ceiling.

Dynamic I guess was taking a gamble that she was going to see some big improvement. She would have been stupid to turn down the money. It was Dynamic's money, though. It's not really my problem if their gamble doesn't work out.

How so? Which Masters?

The first women weren't allowed until 10 years ago, but I wasn't referencing the troubled past of Augusta.

Just the overall setting, atmosphere and prestige of the event.

I think a lot of people realized that Dynamic was taking a big gamble there. Her rating is pretty consistent and up slightly from this time last year, so it's not like there has been a big decline in her play. There are just 20 women with a higher rating than her. 950 golf might just be her ceiling.

Dynamic I guess was taking a gamble that she was going to see some big improvement. She would have been stupid to turn down the money. It was Dynamic's money, though. It's not really my problem if their gamble doesn't work out.

I wonder what her rating would be if she was 95% from 20'. Maybe 30 points better? More?

Honestly, her putting game looks like she has what would be called the yips in ball golf. When Rebecca Cox was on coverage at Beaver State Fling it seemed to me that her motion and Kona's were now extremely similar. The big difference looked like Cox has this very short pause right at the top of her swing and then is very smooth down and back up. Whereas Kona takes it all the way down and just stays still for 2+ seconds and then jerks/explodes forward. Looks like a very nervy putt.

I wonder what her rating would be if she was 95% from 20'. Maybe 30 points better? More?

Honestly, her putting game looks like she has what would be called the yips in ball golf. When Rebecca Cox was on coverage at Beaver State Fling it seemed to me that her motion and Kona's were now extremely similar. The big difference looked like Cox has this very short pause right at the top of her swing and then is very smooth down and back up. Whereas Kona takes it all the way down and just stays still for 2+ seconds and then jerks/explodes forward. Looks like a very nervy putt.

Her putting has always been the weakest part of her game.

Although I don't watch all the FPO coverage, from what I have watched it seems putting this year has improved for those leading/winning.

I'd like to see if the stats best that out.

I did a somewhat deep dive into her stats, courtesy of Udisc: https://udisclive.com/players/konastarpanis?t=dgpt2022

For her only DGPT win, the 2021 Waco Charity Open, she was 2nd in Circle 1X putting (78%) and 10th in Circle 2 putting (13%), while bein 1st in both Circle 1 in Regulation (54%) and Circle 2 in Regulation (67%).

For the 2022 DGPT, she's currently 54th in Circle 1X putting (57%) and 73rd in Circle 2 putting (2%), while being 13th in Circle 1 in Regulation (32%) and 17th in Circle 2 in Regulation (53%). For the 2021 DGPT, she was 60th in Circle 1X putting (53%) and 66th in Circle 2 putting (4%), while being 5th in Circle 1 in Regulation (34%) and 6th in Circle 2 in Regulation (54%). So as someone said earlier (hopefully on this thread, but possibly on another...), she isn't playing significantly different this year than last year. You could argue that the competition has gotten better though, which IMO passes the eye test.

To be around the 13th to 17th best putter on tour (to match her 'Circle in Regulation' rankings this year), she'd have to put around 71% from Circle 1X and 15% from Circle 2. (Putting Master Ohn Scoggins is first in both at 82% C1X and 27% C2X)

Moral of the story: If Kona could become an average-to-good putter and increase her putting percentage by 15% (maybe 2-3 putts a round?), she would be one of the top 10 (maybe top 5) players in the field. Right now, her rating is 946, 21st overall for the open women's division on the PDGA player statistics search. Even if she only got 15 points to put her at 961 right behind Missy Gannon's 962, she'd be 10th. I think increasing her putting percentage 15% or so would get her there.

Nice work njgrosser!:clap:
Kona seems like a very likeable person, ala Missy Gannon. I may be completely wrong since I don't know them personally, but they seem to be nice, fun people who are easy to root for.

On the MPO side, who had Bradley winning? Looking back to him 10 years ago or so, he was always a little arrogant on and off the course. It seems he may have turned it around over the last couple of years. Anyone have any insights or played with him recently that can weigh in on this?

Kona tapped to host the USWDGC Jomez practice round. Poor mike is gonna lay a load in his garanimals. Interesting to have the hosts just walk and chat with some players doing the practicing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdg4QuULEc4&t=987s

Last edited:

I don't feel as excited about this season as I thought I would because it seems like the elite competition is more inconsistent than years past. I don't necessarily want ricky/calvin/paul/fourth for every card, but it seems like a total crap shoot week to week to see who is playing well

Latest posts