• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT The Preserve Championship 2022

That's the definition of exciting. It's unpredictable.

that actually isn't the definition of exciting:

Definition of excitement
1: something that excites or rouses

Definition of excite
transitive verb

1a: to call to activity
b: to rouse to an emotional response
scenes to excite the hardest man to pity
c: to arouse (something, such as a strong emotional response) by appropriate stimuli

to me, it's more exciting to have players that are playing consistently well and slightly out perform one another to win a tournament. this year it doesn't feel like that is the case - it feels like one player or another "pops off" for the weekend.

this year it doesn't feel like that is the case - it feels like one player or another "pops off" for the weekend.

I thought this for a bit but then I realized that as the game continues to mature and evolve, we should see more and more of this. Our game (as the name suggests) works very similarly to regular golf - there's a lot of variables and variance and out of a large field, only one person gets to win on the weekend. It's not like team sports where a mediocre team should win 50% of their contests.

So you end up with players like Will Zalatoris. If you don't follow golf, you've never heard of the kid. He hasn't won a single tournament. Yet, he's finished 2nd twice at majors and won $10 million since 2018. He's ranked 12th in the world. Consistently great at golf, but that just shows how hard it is to win against those guys.

As the competition and money grow (assuming that they do), I don't see any reason the future of our game will be any different. The Jacks and Tigers (Climos and McBeths) will be the very rare exception, not the rule.

I thought this for a bit but then I realized that as the game continues to mature and evolve, we should see more and more of this. Our game (as the name suggests) works very similarly to regular golf - there's a lot of variables and variance and out of a large field, only one person gets to win on the weekend. It's not like team sports where a mediocre team should win 50% of their contests.

So you end up with players like Will Zalatoris. If you don't follow golf, you've never heard of the kid. He hasn't won a single tournament. Yet, he's finished 2nd twice at majors and won $10 million since 2018. He's ranked 12th in the world. Consistently great at golf, but that just shows how hard it is to win against those guys.

As the competition and money grow (assuming that they do), I don't see any reason the future of our game will be any different. The Jacks and Tigers (Climos and McBeths) will be the very rare exception, not the rule.

The rise of parity over the past ten years has been incredibly deleterious for ball golf's popularity. Curious if the same will be true for pro DG.

to me, it's more exciting to have players that are playing consistently well and slightly out perform one another to win a tournament. this year it doesn't feel like that is the case - it feels like one player or another "pops off" for the weekend.

In our speculative economic situation DG will possibly come to resemble combat sports where a players profitability is untethered from one's competitive excellence. With companies investing way more in players than the purses they win, players don't really need to be competitive as long as they're popular. Eagle, Paul, Dickerson, Kristin, Paige aren't really incentivized to stay winning every week; as long as they pop off at the majors and keep their Q rating high they'll be fine.

that actually isn't the definition of exciting:

boring [ bawr-ing ]

See synonyms for: boring / borings / boringly / boringness on Thesaurus.com

adjective

1 causing or marked by boredom; dull and uninteresting; tiresome:
a boring discussion; to have a boring time.

This might be a bit of a major change and longer term but I was thinking how can we bring the Mississippi river into play a bit more?

I could see on 14 planting some trees and protective barriers along the left side of the fairway. Then trimming up the right side bushes and trees so we can see shots potentially reach the river easier with a subpar shot. It would also be nice to actually be able to see the river and it would make it more scenic.

I think that could make a decent hole a great one.

Liking the changes to the course. I liked moving up the basket on 10 closer to the OB and doing something else for 11 which is a new hole.

Two other changes which would make MPO coverage better would be moving the teebox back maybe 10-20 feet on 15. Just add a bit more distance and tighten up that gap a bit.

I'd also really love to see a bunker short on 13 which will force players to carry it to park the hole (no low skip FH's short). Maybe starting 45-50 feet short of the basket and off to the left and creeping up to edge of circle, basically the ideal FH line and forcing a precise power and height shot.

Anyways really excited to see the upcoming coverage and the course is shaping up really well.

I don't think that 15's tee can be moved back, it would/could be in play for 14.
And I hear Cale isn't a big fan of artificial o.b.... Now, moving 13's tee back 30-40feet, that would make it harder without adding a bunker... The course was looking g great... Cale will continue to tweek Black Bear until he is totally happy with it... You have to remember, he's held 3 DGPT events in just 26 months of owning the property, that's crazy! Wish I would have played the layout... I think I could have broke 100...

I don't think that 15's tee can be moved back, it would/could be in play for 14.
And I hear Cale isn't a big fan of artificial o.b.... Now, moving 13's tee back 30-40feet, that would make it harder without adding a bunker... The course was looking g great... Cale will continue to tweek Black Bear until he is totally happy with it... You have to remember, he's held 3 DGPT events in just 26 months of owning the property, that's crazy! Wish I would have played the layout... I think I could have broke 100...

That would push it back into the basket on 12 as well though.

I think you could go back maybe 10 feet on 15, you are right that 14's basket is there as well. The other thing looks like there is a lot more room to move the basket up and back left into the trees a bit on 15, an easy 35-45 feet. Maybe trim some lower branches to allow a low line to get through. Otherwise I think most would go high and crash in. I'd like to promote the lower lines. It's more enjoyable to watch.

And I was thinking about 12 not 13... 13 could be made longer and maybe pushed closer to the river...(I can't totally picture what is behind the basket)...

Latest posts