• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagle Forehand Shoulder Injury - Late Elbow Cock

I think you mean wrist extends/extension. Wrist flex is curl, at least anatomically speaking.

Mr. Slingshot also talked about seeking the feeling of his arm going numb as a good thing, but IMO that is not good - seems likely compressing the ulnar nerve.

Simon's backhand technique is also a little rough on the arm, but Slingshot exaggerates it to an absurd extreme.

IMO Ken Jarvis is the epitome of smooth effortless distance. I don't understand the fascination with some of these other more violent techniques. Some of it is also misinterpreted.

Oops, yes, extension of wrist in the backswing as the weight falls into plant, sorry.

I kept thinking about the numbness he talks about too. Paresthesia from a nerve compression seems most likely. The idea that "blood is rushing" to the fingertips seems impossible based on hand vasculature, where it's mostly small capillaries more distal to the palm. But I'm a neuropsychologist and not an anatomist/biophysicist!

I love Jarvis' form, it's just so smooth, efficient, and minimalistic. I'd guess the fascination with violent techniques is kind of the usual story: confusing jerks and snaps with mechanisms for power. They can be, but smooth acceleration will get you there too. Probably doesn't help that you get Gibson throwing near 80mph with an impressive sound of his fingers smacking his palm that gets confused as a sign of "snap". The visual and auditory effect is alluring. And throwing farther is fun and impresses your friends, so people look to those examples.

What do you find is most misinterpreted?

gwsmallwood; said:
Scott Stokely talks about that a lot. Your elbow shouldn't be extended really far away from your body, but making a conscious effort to tuck it in close to your body restricts the natural fluid motion and puts stress on the shoulder.

I'm not sure what "far away from the body" means, in terms of the angle you're looking at.
Stokely says the mechanics are the same as a baseball throw, just leaned over.

Baseball throws (unfortunately I never grew up throwing so I'm watching videos now) have three points in a straight line: left shoulder, right shoulder, elbow. The forearm may point somewhere else but usually that line rotates through space on a plane. If you're bent over and the plane of that shoulder slot is near vertical, the elbow may seem close to your hip, but it is not really close to the body, it's extended straight out sideways from the shoulder.

This is what I'm seeing in the baseball videos of Ben Brewster on Tread Athletics that SW22 has been posting. Am I misinterpreting?

There are a number of youtube videos that tell us to keep the elbow in tight to the body. I think the way most people would interpret that is to bend the upper arm down, so shoulder to shoulder to elbow would form a right angle, and that doesn't seem to be how baseball players do it.

Definietly think there is misconception regarding getting the elbow close. Many seem to lock the elbow to the hip and rotate more more with the body while letting the thorque go through the elbow.

A good forehand comes through fairly close but that is only a short moment.

Good discussion.

I was hoping to hear Eagle talk about the sustainability of forehands vs backhands or learning lefty. He touched on playing lefty for fun and to try and balance his body, but it seems like Seth and he believe that his forehand technique isn't endangering him so long as he keeps building up stabilizer strength in his body. It'll be interesting to watch his career progress and how much he uses the big distance forehand in the future.

I was hoping to hear Eagle talk about the sustainability of forehands vs backhands or learning lefty. He touched on playing lefty for fun and to try and balance his body, but it seems like Seth and he believe that his forehand technique isn't endangering him so long as he keeps building up stabilizer strength in his body. It'll be interesting to watch his career progress and how much he uses the big distance forehand in the future.
I heard Eagle talking about how he threw that shot with bad technique and is more focused on technique.

I heard Eagle talking about how he threw that shot with bad technique and is more focused on technique.

Yeah I heard him say that Jomez filming throw was a one-off goofy thing he did, but I wonder if he and Seth have looked at his normal forehand form much. I've noticed it seems like he's gotten smoother the last year with his forehands, but you and others have mentioned that late elbow cock in his throw that could be potentially harmful over the long term.

If you watch the throw at 9:42 and compare it to 10:50 there's a stark difference in elbow positioning. The second one he goes much later with the elbow and since it's his huklab DD3 in his hands instead of a Splice I can assume that was a big distance shot instead of a placement shot. But I'm not a doctor so maybe he's working on everything he needs to, to be able to do that. Do you see the diffence I'm seeing there? What do you think?

Yeah I heard him say that Jomez filming throw was a one-off goofy thing he did, but I wonder if he and Seth have looked at his normal forehand form much. I've noticed it seems like he's gotten smoother the last year with his forehands, but you and others have mentioned that late elbow cock in his throw that could be potentially harmful over the long term.

If you watch the throw at 9:42 and compare it to 10:50 there's a stark difference in elbow positioning. The second one he goes much later with the elbow and since it's his huklab DD3 in his hands instead of a Splice I can assume that was a big distance shot instead of a placement shot. But I'm not a doctor so maybe he's working on everything he needs to, to be able to do that. Do you see the diffence I'm seeing there? What do you think?
Yeah, I see the difference, quite a bit.

I don't think Seth works on technique.

I'm not sure what "far away from the body" means, in terms of the angle you're looking at.
Stokely says the mechanics are the same as a baseball throw, just leaned over.

Baseball throws (unfortunately I never grew up throwing so I'm watching videos now) have three points in a straight line: left shoulder, right shoulder, elbow. The forearm may point somewhere else but usually that line rotates through space on a plane. If you're bent over and the plane of that shoulder slot is near vertical, the elbow may seem close to your hip, but it is not really close to the body, it's extended straight out sideways from the shoulder.

This is what I'm seeing in the baseball videos of Ben Brewster on Tread Athletics that SW22 has been posting. Am I misinterpreting?

There are a number of youtube videos that tell us to keep the elbow in tight to the body. I think the way most people would interpret that is to bend the upper arm down, so shoulder to shoulder to elbow would form a right angle, and that doesn't seem to be how baseball players do it.
I think we're saying the same thing, just using slightly different language. You just don't want the elbow pinned to your side throughout the throw. It 'might' be helpful for the elbow to pass through somewhat close to the hip, but not if it hurts.

This poor guy. Dropped out of Jonesboro due to another dislocation.

I hope he gets proper medical attention. If he's already had a couple dislocations I'm scared he'll never be the same again in any case.

Link to Reddit with insta vid.

As DG grows it's really in need of in-house qualified medical doctors and rigorous form/technique/self-care coaching at the top level.

As DG grows it's really in need of in-house qualified medical doctors and rigorous form/technique/self-care coaching at the top level.

Maybe he should have Ricky's guy to get him an herbal remedy. ��

The thin young bird should just forget the power FH. I don't think he'll ever be able to physically do it and if he tries he will likely get injured again and again IMO. He can still play well throwing light/upshot FH and mostly BH even LHBH which he has shown to have some success already.

Just forget the power FH Eagle.

When you said "light therapy" I thought of red light therapy, but reading the update it isn't that at all:

"but is feeling better day by day with light exercises and a host of other therapies"

Eagle posted an instagram story of doing red light therapy, which is what has everyone screaming all over that he's not taking it seriously.
Don't think a story post reflects what the guy's actually doing.

Eagle posted an instagram story of doing red light therapy, which is what has everyone screaming all over that he's not taking it seriously.
Don't think a story post reflects what the guy's actually doing.

Feel free to post it. Then everyone can have the opportunity here to discuss disc golf stuff.

Latest posts