• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fanboys and plastic worship

I must say that I truly enjoy these forums far more than Facebook as of late. I have actually unfollowed some brand specific pages on Facebook. God forbid you criticize said company on a brand specific page for the quality slipping or anything else for that matter. These forums used to be ripe with rabid fanboys. A better part of my early days on these pages was trolling said fanboys. I have since met some.of the people off of these pages in real life and truly enjoyed numerous rounds with them. Some of the rabid fanboys on these pages have toned it down immensely. Others have never progressed and there is still one I absolutely love to call for his stupidity. All in all, when I want true opinions on discs, I come here. When I want to laugh my ass off at idiocy I go to Facebook.

Speaking of fanboyism and Oreos, I've gotta confess I like the vanilla Oreos way better than the original.

I must say that I truly enjoy these forums far more than Facebook as of late. I have actually unfollowed some brand specific pages on Facebook. God forbid you criticize said company on a brand specific page for the quality slipping or anything else for that matter. These forums used to be ripe with rabid fanboys. A better part of my early days on these pages was trolling said fanboys. I have since met some.of the people off of these pages in real life and truly enjoyed numerous rounds with them. Some of the rabid fanboys on these pages have toned it down immensely. Others have never progressed and there is still one I absolutely love to call for his stupidity. All in all, when I want true opinions on discs, I come here. When I want to laugh my ass off at idiocy I go to Facebook.

Wow... Facebook lost me years ago and I'm seeing yet another criticism that rings true.

What about reddit? Reddit seems to do well for a lot of conversations...but, I don't know how the dg talk goes.

Do anyone stick to just one brand of video games? I am not a gamer, so I am entirely ignorant of this, but it would seem unlikely to me.

In the gaming world, it's more PS4 vs. Xbox vs. PC. It's a gaming system battle, and people fight religiously over it. Otherwise, people might flock to specific studios I suppose, Blizzard/Activision, Bethesda, Bungie, etc.

I started out with an entirely Innova bag, but that's just because it was what was being sold locally. I also played for 2 years with nothing but an Aviar and a Boss. I mean, there were other discs IN the bag...but that was what I threw. You'd be surprised how many ways you can flick a Boss when it's all you do. Good times.

My first branch out was with a Prodigy P2, but I fell out of love with it within 2 months. I then tried a Compass because Ricky was pushing them, so that got me into some Trilogy. Finally, I discovered the Comet. <3.

My buddy, when he also branched from Innova to Prodigy swapped brands almost entirely, and while he fawned over it, he wasn't pushy or annoying about it. My small local course or the guys I've played with are more interested to know WHAT you just threw, regardless of brand, but I'm in the same boat where I don't get to many organized events at a regional level, so I probably just don't see those guys.

Dead horse and all, but fanboy-ism has been around since the first Oldowan stone toolkit was put together and will probably never end. Grog thought that Og's coastal chert handaxe was inferior to his favorite inland chert axehead, then along comes Tog with his fancy obsidian blades, and we've rolled steadily downhill since then. The "mine is better" mentality is one of humanity's worst and most enduring traits, at least when coupled with aggressive proselytizing.

That said, I participate in a fair amount of organized discing in my area and have never had anyone say that my shot might have gone better if I threw Brand X's midrange instead of whatever I chose to throw. One of my best friends is a Trilogy dealer, and a lot of my friends have switched primarily to Trilogy plastic because of that easy and cheaper access, but nobody is pushy about it. Iowa nice I guess??

I often make fun of players that throw Lat64 and other discs from the "homeland". I like to ask them: You still throwing that Euro-trash?

Of course, I'm just trying to crack people up. It usually gets a good laugh out of somebody in the group.

Wow... Facebook lost me years ago and I'm seeing yet another criticism that rings true.

What about reddit? Reddit seems to do well for a lot of conversations...but, I don't know how the dg talk goes.

I lurk there occasionally, rarely post. Reddit is a much newer and more casual user base than here on average. Ace pics and mail call pics are the majority of threads.

IMO it's a more positive and encouraging community (on average) vs. DGCR, but their breadth of topics is lacking.

I lurk there occasionally, rarely post. Reddit is a much newer and more casual user base than here on average. Ace pics and mail call pics are the majority of threads.

IMO it's a more positive and encouraging community (on average) vs. DGCR, but their breadth of topics is lacking.

It's more positive but almost completely useless.

The ace posts are total garbage and I can't even tell the difference between the mail calls anymore.

And don't even try selling discs there unless you want a guaranteed migraine.

Speaking of selling...does anyone sell discs on Instagram?

My gf sells vintage clothes and jewelry on there...I've seen other sellers on there... Wonder if anyone sells discs...

Serious question here;

Do, or can fanboys ultimately hurt a brand?
I mean, fanboys are good at hyping and drawing others to a "fad", but at the same time, they also repel a lot of people who don't want to be assassinated with the fad cult brand. But when the fanboys move on (to the next fad/brand), there is still that bad taste or memory from those who didn't follow the brand.

So is there enough left to fill the void when the fad wears off?

Disc golf is relatively small in the big picture, I just wonder what the longer term impact is on some of these companies.
I wonder what Prodigy's sales are now compared to a few years ago when they seemed to be the fan/fad favorite.

Just curious.

Serious question here;

Do, or can fanboys ultimately hurt a brand?
I mean, fanboys are good at hyping and drawing others to a "fad", but at the same time, they also repel a lot of people who don't want to be assassinated with the fad cult brand. But when the fanboys move on (to the next fad/brand), there is still that bad taste or memory from those who didn't follow the brand.

So is there enough left to fill the void when the fad wears off?

Disc golf is relatively small in the big picture, I just wonder what the longer term impact is on some of these companies.
I wonder what Prodigy's sales are now compared to a few years ago when they seemed to be the fan/fad favorite.

Just curious.

take "team trilogy" for example. we have a medium sized dg community. trilogy became the laughing stock of our community. the only people throwing trilogy for a while (not anymore though) when it first became "team trilogy" were the noobz and intermediate level die hardz who play a ton but never break 300ft or get any better.

i still refuse to buy trilogy to this day. i also have had like $50 for a gift card to the DD store for a few years now. havent found anything worth buying :/

Speaking of selling...does anyone sell discs on Instagram?

My gf sells vintage clothes and jewelry on there...I've seen other sellers on there... Wonder if anyone sells discs...

people who dye discs do. however, facebook seems to be the overall hot spot for selling discs all around.

reddit on a ton of subs is being infiltrated by high schoolers. hate to say, but it might finally be on the decline.

reddit on a ton of subs WAS infiltrated by high schoolers children. hate to say, but it might finally be on the decline.

I'm a long time Redditor (almost 10 years), and it's been declining for a long time now. Never spend any time on DG subreddits, but whenever I do visit I immediately go back to one of my multis.

I'm a long time Redditor (almost 10 years), and it's been declining for a long time now. Never spend any time on DG subreddits, but whenever I do visit I immediately go back to one of my multis.

lolol i havent been on the dg sub in over 7 years. im almost 10 years redditor too.

so many good subs went down the crapper, i could name more than i would like.

take "team trilogy" for example. we have a medium sized dg community. trilogy became the laughing stock of our community. the only people throwing trilogy for a while (not anymore though) when it first became "team trilogy" were the noobz and intermediate level die hardz who play a ton but never break 300ft or get any better.

i still refuse to buy trilogy to this day. i also have had like $50 for a gift card to the DD store for a few years now. havent found anything worth buying :/

Wait, is this real?

Latest posts