• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FYI: Bowling Green Amateur Championships

Okay so Im thinking about making this my first "big tournament".. It is within a 6 hour drive and my new schedule at work would give me ample time to come down and play the full weekend.. Im just a little n0obish on some things..

This is a PDGA event correct? So I would need to sign up for PDGA... Would I still have enough time if i signed up now to be eligible to play? (Im not sure how the whole PDGA thing goes).

Yes, you would have enough time if you signed up now, as long as your membership is current by tourney time.

I'm signed up, the room at the Hampton Inn has been booked, and I'm playing C tiers for tune ups in the meantime. Bring on BG AMS!!!

This tournament is tons of fun. Played
in five or six myself. Always a blast to hang
with friends from all over the country.
I always leave with a stack of plastic.
Great times.

Its much easier to leave with a big stack of plastic when you shoot a 1050 round, right Cpt.?

Does anyone know what Whabah is? A restraunt in the Bowling Green area? Does it usually serve as the tournament's HQ?

Yes, it is a restaurant. They have 3 holes set up out back that you can walk around drinking/discing. This is the first time it is being used as the HQ.

There will be 5 manufactures kicking a disc each to the player packs.

This is the one tournament this year that I am looking forward to, especially since it is my first A-tier tournament of my PDGA career. The fact that I go to the college in Bowling Green and have a place to stay/eat every day is icing on the cake =P

Been looking for videos on the courses. Can't get down there and practice.

Photos just doesn't a course justice. Anyone know of any on youtube? Looking for the Am1 courses

This will year 5 for me (2 in Intermediate & 2 in Adv masters prviously) and it is a blast. I agree with what has been said about the courses but haven't seen the Tech Course yet - Going to spend Thursday there. This tourney finds a way to bring out the worst of my game but I have fun.

Intermediate/Rec Courses:
Preston Miller - Easiest to score on but seeing the course helps a lot. Many short wooded holes that are easy 2's after you find he lines.
White Park - Wide Open wind tunnel - Lot of paved paths that serve as OB.
Basil griffin - Some water holes, Open holes & Wooded holes. I historically play like crap here for no reason! Flooding can be an issue on a few holes(1,2,7 & 9), we had to use a couple temps two years ago.
Lovers Lane - beautiful course - Mostly open with well used mature trees on the front 9.

Advanced/Adv Master(GM) Courses
Phil Moore - Long distance launching pad with some touchy wooded holes.
Hobson Grove - Short technical course. Lots of 2's sitting there but plenty of trouble - Think I took 4 OB's there last year - awful round.
Kereiakes - Love this course - Most holes reachable but the evergreens can really penalize errant shots
Tech Center Course - Haven't seen it yet but i like what I'm hearing

Backup advanced course (If there are flooding problems at Phil Moore) :
Franklin-Simpson - Long and open with plenty of OB. Beware the spray paint that tightens the OB up even more that expected!

Players pack is supposed to be 5 discs : Innova, Discraft, DGA, Gateway & Vibram
and maybe other swag added. They haven't announced the discs yet.

All 4 rounds - Win your card (4-some) and win a disc.

March 5th update (this may not answer all questions, but we try to keep the event web pages up to date with the many items on the week's schedule):

Thanks to the 343 who have registered! We have each major division over 1/2 full, and likely will fill (and disappoint late signups) recreational and intermediate.

Recreational and Intermediate MEN will be cut off at 150 men players. No limit on Women!

Registration will close March 26th. No late registering, as we will be posting pools and tee assignments on March 28.

No pool changes will be made, as all courses are so close that you can drop off riding partners easily with in the schedule.

If you want to change division, contact TD ASAP and I will change you - no problem.
If you sign up and have to drop out, we will send a refund - no problem, just do it prior to March 26th.

Players packages will be available starting Tuesday evening and each evening at 6pm at Wha Bha's Stakehouse. This will include your program, which has all OB's, schedule, and maps!

NO PLAYERS MEETING - read the program.

All of this info is also on the event web pages http://www.bluegrassdiscgolf.org/BowlingGreen.html

Lots of fun early week events (courses will be open for practice at all times):
Our course sponsors (and they will also be the course official) will be set up vending and hosting fun events.
Essential Disc will have doubles at BGTC
LS Disc will have doubles at White Park
Dynamic Disc will have a PDGA x-tier at Hobson Grove
Sunking will have events (TBA at Lovers and Kereiakes)
Cloud 9 will have an event at Griffin (TBA)

Innova is having the long drive contest Thursday at Phil Moore Park (FREE)
Vibrum and DGA will have a putting contest at Wha Bha Thrusday evening (FREE)
Discraft is planning a test drive demonstration.
and other fun events are being planned.

The Friday night fly mart at Phil Moore Park gym is open to registered players who want a table for a $50 fee, so bring your old (or new) disc - please contact to reserve a table.

The Saturday players, party will be BBQ at Wha Bha, with lots of music and disc games out back.

Each round the winner of the card gets a prize! Sponsored by: Nat's Outdoor Sports, Paragon Disc, JB Distributors, and Innova.

Trophies for all divisions will be DGA mini baskets with custom number plate.

The final 9 is laid out behind Wha Bha, with construction starting soon.

Payouts will be on-line through Disc Golf U, so no waiting in line for disc you might not want, and you do not have to come to the finals at all if you want to get on the road. You can also use your Disc Golf U credits to pay for your shipping. Prizes will be posted early in the week, paying 50% in each division. We can also give you a prize of our choice after the finals, but prefer you to go on line so we can keep our limited stock for other club efforts (high school championships, new players, league CTP's).

All players are in the ACE POOL! ($1000 - sponsored by BG Disc Golf Club). We will pay cash after the final 9 and awards for the final 9 players, or mail you a check if you want to get on the road. Pool split between all aces.