• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you get 500+ throws??????

Wich disc is best for flat distance speed drives around 300-500ft ?

• Total voters
I've seen some guys bomb it 400 on some holes and still not be great because they can't putt or recover bc they often are inaccurate with big throws. drive for show and putt for dough!

Clarity-it's so hard to get over the internet.

I think you're under the impression that 375 feet is long, but it isn't long for open players. Most open players throw around 400 feet. The original poster claims to be able to throw over 450 feet and wants to be able to throw over 500 feet. My post simply states that 375 feet is sufficient to cash. The above contradiction in bold, is your statement, not mine. Re-read my post below.

I don't think that 375' is extremely long.

I think that your original post made very good logical sense.

To most people, 375' is much further than they can throw on any day. Therefore the statement felt like something was wrong, when in reality nothing was wrong.

One time i saw my brother throw a valkyrie through a 3,5 inch branch off and it still went up to 400 feet
o_O' now thats what i call power,speed,OWNAGE.

:D Never Trust A Goat :D

most open players throw 400'? really? is that from what you have seen or heard? from what i have seen from playing open, most CANNOT throw 400'..putting and accuracy are far much more important than distance anyway.

Putting and accuracy are important, however a more open course allows longer throws, as opposed to a tight, technical course where pin point accuracy is required.

I've seen FPO players throw over 360' in tournaments. I've seen MPO players throw over 400' in tournaments.

I know some Am players who can throw over 500'...in an open field or in a distance competition, not necessarily on a course. The thing is, there aren't that many holes where that kind of D is needed. Its golf after all, not distance chucking.

There's a big difference between being able to throw 375' and being able to consistantly land within a 25' circle at 375'. The latter is what good pros can do.

Putting and accuracy are important, however a more open course allows longer throws, as opposed to a tight, technical course where pin point accuracy is required.

I've seen FPO players throw over 360' in tournaments. I've seen MPO players throw over 400' in tournaments.

yea me too, but the MAJORITY cannot ..just as the majority of golfers are not pro caliber..there is an elite group(the guys that make all the cash) that can do all the necessary things to smoke any course(distance, at times, but mostly accuracy and deadly putting)

Without knowing your exact style i would have to advise trying to use as much of your body as possible. The 360 method will obviously help with this, but too often people try to throw just with their upper body. I am a small guy with not very much upper body strength, (like none at all), but I can consistently get mid 300's to 400 based off my inclusion of leg and core muscles.

If you can do that on top of what you are already doing you should be all set to fling a disc into the wild blue yonder.

maybe top pros..but the reality is, most open players aren't throwing that far consistently

I can't speak too much about how consistently they do it, but the majority of open players that I've seen play around here can throw 400' and I've seen that with my own eyes, playing with them and watching them. I would imagine they can do it with a pretty high level of consistency.

there is an elite group(the guys that make all the cash) that can do all the necessary things to smoke any course(distance, at times, but mostly accuracy and deadly putting)

Those types of guys have amazing game. I'm working to get there, but still have a long way to go!

I can't speak too much about how consistently they do it, but the majority of open players that I've seen play around here can throw 400' and I've seen that with my own eyes, playing with them and watching them. I would imagine they can do it with a pretty high level of consistency.

Theres some younger guys, maybe late teens or early 20's that I see at my regular course that can really bomb it out there. Judging by my distance and their distance, i would say they can easily clear 400'.

Of course, that course is Roscoe Ewing and that sort of distance can be overkill on most holes and there are plenty of trees I see them go bouncing around in to, but they are not pros either.

Seriously...all that people are doing on this thread is ripping SearchingforDistance. He doesn't care whether or not you only need 375'ft of distance to cash in tournaments or that he should work on his short game or accuracy more, all he cares about right now is breaking the 500'ft barrier. Give the dude a break.

i have to agree...i've seen a lot of the same guys play, he's not lying....and most DO throw that far with consistancy, AND their putting is usually lights out

of course you have seen it(who hasn't?...i'm a pro and throw over 400'), but i still can't cash most of the time..i still say the actual number of pros that can consistently throw over 400' is alot lower than most of you think..

I think Searching For Distance is doing the right thing. He's a KID! He should do whatever the heck is fun for him now. If he wants to rip it 500+ feet that's cool. He's got plenty of time to get all old and boring like some of us. When he's got some ****ty job for 60 hours a week, and only has time to practice a few things then he can sit out under the lights and work on his putting if he needs to. I say bomb that plastic as far as you freaking want to. Nothing better than watching a disc sail farther than you've ever thrown before. Keep it up. Besides he didn't say he wants to win tourney's. He just wants to throw far. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe he can give me some lessons some day. I hit a nice straight 300+ drive the other day and thought I was the 2nd Coming of Christ!

My distance story

When i started to play i could only throw around 100 ft (Pro-D magnet 174g).The first driver i threw was a champion Orc 175g and it felt so very very overstable but i could pump it over 200 so i was happy but 2007-2008 my distance rised 150 ft just with practise and then i got stuck at 350.2008 i watched over 5 000 discgolf videos(Discraft clinics,discgolf tournaments,distance and all about discgolf).In the summer off 2008 my distance rised again to 400ft and i went like.................I WANT TO THROW LONGER.......................but then the winter came so i could only play normal rounds, not the distance training i wanted to but when the spring came 2009 i did it my personal best distance record but it was a perfect wind also.The disc i was throwing was an Star Destroyer 171g and i threw it over 520 ft.It landed 590ft away but it was pretty flat but after 350 there was a slight slope down so therefore some of the distance got pulled away.

Distance=Spin/speed/lines/turn/stability/flow

It have been much said on this thread but now I am going to start put up things I've learned, about how to throw far.

I am going to write about Distance.
This will maybe sound weird but to get most distance you need to have spin which gives speed and then you need a good line which gives the disc a surten turn, and then you also need to get a good disc with a surten stability that should work great to the line and then you need to work on the flow to get maximum spin which gives SPEEEEEEEEEEEED>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

:D //PRACTISE AND YOU WILL THROW FURTHER// :D

This is what i have put together so tell me if you understand what i mean

wow this poll is right on!

star wraith and champ boss are my go-to distance drivers atm. LOVE how heavy and stiff the champ boss is!

of course you have seen it(who hasn't?...i'm a pro and throw over 400'), but i still can't cash most of the time..i still say the actual number of pros that can consistently throw over 400' is alot lower than most of you think..

I agree, I think throwing close to 500 hundred is cool in a field but doesnt really equate to a good disc golf game. Fact is most holes on most courses are 350 and under. The strokes you will save on the those rare 600+ holes will barely cover the strokes you lose or gain in the trees. I have always contended that if a guy can throw 350 straight he will do better on tour then a guy with a monster arm and less control.

I don't have any actual numbers, but I think everyone here will agree that throwing downhill adds dozens of feet to your drive. Even a 10' drop over the length of a fairway will add significant distance to your drives. The only place I've found where I can reach 400' is in an open field that has a gradual 10' drop over its length. Otherwise my full drives are more like 320-350. For me, the difference between a 320' drive and a 370' drive is more about release angle and wind than anything else, and no single release angle works well for all discs. But you're right, SFD, that snap (spin) is probably the critical difference between 300' and 500'. It's something I'm still working hard on. Maybe in another year or two I'll be searching for 500 myself. Right now I'm still searching for 400, and may well be happy enough with that to devote more work to my short game. ;)

Latest posts