• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you view your Disc Golfing habit?

Which way do you tend to treat your game?

• Total voters
It's a hobby not a habit. Most of us play to win because nobody likes to lose. People that say that they don't care are either lying or are just spineless and used to getting ran over. I want to crush you on the course. I'll be polite, smile, and say nice shot when you do well, but I still want to beat you by 10 strokes. That said, it's just something to do. I like the game because it's simple and I'm kinda good at it just like basketball from my youth, or MTG from my 20's. I don't hang discs on my wall, and the trophy's I've won are not on display on the mantle. This game is something to do with friends and occasionally head out to crash heads with strangers to see how good you really are over the course of a weekend. Real life can be tough, and sometimes it gets just plain boring. It's great to have an outlet where we can escape the normal day to day pressures and just have a little fun. If it wasn't discgolf, it would just be something else I'd be spending my time on. But it's just something to do(read hobby), not a habit.

Last edited:
Recreational...for now, but i tend to become obsessive with my hobbies. I'm still new to the game and was first introduced to DG last autumn by some friends. But after playing a number of rounds with borrowed, beat-up, spare discs; I'm now breaking-in my own plastic and have found a new, beginner-friendly local course only a few minutes from home where I've begun to play on a somewhat regular basis. Like a previous reviewer noted above, I have also come to find my solo rounds quite meditative (in part because I seem to be the only one out on the course during most of my outings.) I know I'll continue to work on improving my game but I have not yet reached a high level of competition.

Like many others who have already posted, I play recreationally but I do take it seriously enough to work at improving whether it is a weekly round or two or field practice. I may not be interested in mastering disc golf per se, but rather playing it to my fullest ability without "obsessing" about it. I don't have any plans (at this early stage of experience) of playing in tournaments, but that may come later in due course. In the meantime, it is a great way to get out, hang with friends, and have fun.

I view DG as a sport that I want to master, but will have fun with it along the way. To me, the process of getting better is where the fun is and I will probably never quit gritting my teeth for the next leap in my ability. I have played all kinds of sports my whole life and am highly competitive.

Having said that, I also love the days that I can get out with friends and just play a casual round. We may or may not keep score, but I still strive to make a perfect throw each time I grab a disc. The difference is, if I am playing by myself or in a tournament, I am scrutinizing each shot, good and bad; if I am playing a casual round, I can laugh off a bad shot or take a good shot in stride and keep playing. I think some kind of balance has to be kept between serious and casual.

obsessed_03.jpg

Agreed.
I wasn't aware it was going to be a poll and my prepared repsonse was going to be simply; I view my 5+ rounds a week of disc as an obsession. I could almost liken my near daily round to a junkie getting their fix.

I have only been playing about a year, so I'm waiting to see if the obsession dies down a bit, or if it's just going to begin consuming me.

If I haven't played for a few months, of course, I can't take what I do on the course too seriously, but if I have had a month or so where I have played once a week, or if I am in a tournament, then I take it quite seriously indeed.

Latest posts