• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this how it is -- taunting over found discs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No that's not how it is, sub-human garbage like that is what gives the game a bad name.

^this. All I can say to the to the OP is use this to teach your son that like other walks of life, you will come across people who are garbage in DG. I honestly think most disc golfers don't call the #'s on discs they find, but it certainly seems the more serious the player, the more likely they are to do so.

1st call back I ever got on a lost disc was about 7 years ago - the number was blocked (shoulda been my first hint this wasn't gonna go the way I wanted). Voicemail was, "I found your champ Tee Bird at Addison Oaks. Just wanted to let you know... YOU AIN'T GETTIN IT BACK!"click.

I can't tell you how pissed I was, :mad: but I still put my cell # on all my discs and that's the only negative experience I've had, and I've had a couple returned to me since. Don't let scumbags get you down.

I had two discs returned last month, both from out of state. Karma had absolutely nothing to do with it. Without my phone number on the discs, the finders would have had no means to call me. Without two honest parties who felt that doing the right thing was more valuable than keeping someone else's lost plastic, I would have never been called.

Righteous deeds just don't happen in a vacuum.
^ and this. If you really want your disc back, make it as easy as possible to reach you. Nothing's easier than a phone #.

Last edited:
OP, you can certainly use this as a teaching moment for your son. "Son, how did it make you feel when someone stole your disc? Would you ever want to make someone else feel this way? Son I love you and want you to grow up to be the best man you can be. We're not going to hate this guy. Instead we're going to feel bad for him because he probably didn't have a father who loved him like I love you".

Preach Brother. This x1000.

And then there's this. We are talking about a disc that cost a few $$ and you compare it to a car that cost thousands of $$ and some one just forgetting where it's parked. :wall: Not a comparable example at all. Hyper-bowl.

Leave the cops out of it.

Hyper-bowls are the best, so long as you don't get too stoned....

OP, if you haven't already, post the DB's number. We won't make any mention of you or your disc, but he'll know he's done something sh.itty....

Because that's the law. Lost or abandoned property may eventually become the property of one who finds it provided they go through all the hoops. It depends on the local laws. But for a disc abandoned on city property, you are typically looking at personal tangible property that is rightfully in the possession of the city unless claimed by the true owner within the statutory time period following public notice. Then, if not claimed within the statutory time, it becomes the property of the city, not the property of any old random person to stumble across it.

You should consult an attorney in your jurisdiction for details on your local laws, presuming you respect the law, that is.

Isn't the abandonment of anything in a city park littering, thus being against a city ordinance? Leaving a disc, an air matress, a blanket, an old shirt, a beer can, a coke bottle or anything else is littering. Even if you put your name and phone number on it. It's the responsibility of the owner to locate and remove (take out what you take in) all of the owner's personal property. The city doesn't want your stuff, in fact they pass laws to prevent you from leaving ANYTHING in their parks.

Find your own stuff and take it home with you. If you do, there isn't any problem.

As for the guy taunting you... there's no penalty harsh enough. If I had his phone number, he'd wish he hadn't made the text.

http://www.whitepages.com/reverse_phone

Give us the #, mithril, and we'll police ourselves.:mad:

Badges!? We don't need no stinking badges! :rolleyes:

I would have ended up finding the guy on the course and getting the disc back. Even if I would have had to knock a knot in his head I would have gotten it back.

I would have told my son. "You see what happens when you act like this?" "Make sure you remember that son."

Have you googled his number? Probably some kid whose mom will be very upset when she hears this story.

I don't get discs back THAT often, but I've NEVER had someone taunt me over not giving my disc back. We have a couple of people that troll the courses looking for others' lost plastic to not give back, but there are a lot of people that are going to call, and a lot of people that, if you call them, will pay you or compensate you elsewise.

the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago the guy called and just told me he was gonna keep it. he also was telling me how bad of a throw it was but we were playing a safari hole. also it was at tendick park, which is in the milwaukee area as well. maybe it's the same guy? who knows.

I live in the Dallas area. 99% of the people I have met in disc golf are great. I play alone most of the time and have been invited to play with groups countless times. I have only lost a few discs (most likely because I can't throw very far). I have found quite a few. I always contact the owners of discs with a phone number. Most times I meet the very appreciative owner and return the disc. Several times the owner thanks me and says to keep it. One time a friend got a disc stuck in a tree in corpus Christi. A group behind us stopped and helped us for ten minutes until the disc came down. When I first started playing, the designer of the the courses in cedar hill (brian lamoreaux) gave my friend and i a few new discs out of his trunk, because we were new to the game. One time at turner park (grand prairie, tx), a large group let my wife, 10 year old son and myself play thru. One of the guys gave my son a really cool beat driver to encourage him to keep playing. Hopefully, you and your son will run into a disc golfer like that in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts