• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange

Working your way up from putters, eh? A couple of classic combinations:

Roc - Comet: Similar grip, and with fresh and seasoned DX Rocs you can cover any shot.
Buzzz - Fuse: Similar grip, and easier to FH. Some prefer Meteor to Fuse, and many add a Wasp or Hornet for overstable

Lately I have been carrying Roc - Buzzz - Fuse, but I traded for some beat Rocs and may stick with Roc - beat Roc - Fuse if I can get clean FH releases with the Roc.

What are you throwing now?

I just use Buzzzes. I've played around with other midranges, but I always go back to the Buzzz. Also, I had a GL Fuse at one point, and it was not nearly as understable as I thought it would be. It was used too. I suppose I just had a freak. I just throw a beat X Buzzz for that throw now.

What are your mids not covering for you now that you would like in a new mid? There are a lot of great mids out there right now.

I carry a Flying Squirrel, Wasp, and Zone. I also use the Sinus, Pure, and Polecat somewhat like mids.

Last edited:
axis-for shorter mid range-it flys a little straighter for me, so it almost feels like a long putter
buzzz-for longer mid range-trial and error. went through alot of midranges, seems like this just worked better

Combination of the Obex and Ibex. The Obex flies dead straight and then has a healthy bit of fade on the end and is sneaky long. The Ibex is the longest midrange I have ever thrown and is dead straight at the same time, it is like a dead straight fairway driver and extremely consistent.

Have several in my bag. Buzzz SS is my go to. I know how it flies and will generally stay where I put it with predictable fade at the end.

I keep a mako in my bag for straight, shorter approach shots usually when I throw BH.

And a fuse for midrange tee shots. Tons of glide. Goes and goes.

There are MANY great mids out there. Probably at least 40. I happen to love the Neutron Axis. It is like a Buzzz, or Roc3. Capable of any line you want, and deadly accurate. Great for driving, and approaching.

If you want a mid that is really easy to throw, get a Star Kite. The Kite has tremendous glide, and is great for effortless turnovers.

Like the above post said. There are TONS of good mids. Rocs, Cros and ghosts all have a good reliable feel. Gators are great overstable mids, and the new tursas is an awesome understable glider. But, you could insert the names of 4 other discs and have good choices as well. Just depends what feels good to you and fits your throwing style.

my midrange game isn't fully developed, I started shying away from buzzes n rocs :(

I prefer to baby a fairway driver for shorter stuff, or flick a pred, drone, or firebird. Sometimes I throw an OS driver UD or overhand.

I do love a meteor though! I love the way its wing fits in my index finger, and a meteor feels a bit more like a driver when I let go. Nice n easy and let the disc work...lots of glide...that esp breaks in to a different disc from where it started, so I like that for carrying multiples.

I'll throw a putter on a straightforward 180 ft shot. currently working on short drives and tight lines with the tangent. Loving the Tangent because of its "driving putter" feel. Its a bit more forgiving and less flippy than my meteor.

In conclusion, for backhand accuracy I prefer a super straight flyer that is beefy when new and beats in to perfection. after that I give preference to whatever feels the best in my grip!

I am carrying a DX Stingray, a DX Roc, a Star Mako, a DX Shark, a Medium Ibex, and a Z Hornet right now. I'm thinking the Ibex may replace my Mako, since they seem to fly about the same for me. The Shark is probably going to leave the bag as well -- the only reason I still have it at all is because I started off with a Shark, so it's more of a nostalgia disc than anything.

Ti Wasp
Ti Buzzz
GL Core
Beat Ching Legacy

Covers all the shots that I need.

I do have Tursas and Tangent ready to throw - as soon as the snow melts....

Occasionally I'll use a Champ King Cobra or TNY Warship - too many mid ranges not enough time or money. Mace? M3? Fugitive?

Overstable, stable/straight, stable/hyzer-flip, stable-understable/Anhyzer

S-line Gremlin, GL Core, DX Shark, Star Coyote

A few weeks ago I was quite happy with my Opto Fuse, Opto Core, GL Pain set up. Things have drastically changed since then. I've added a Test Material Fuse (think DX like, super buttery), dropped my GL Pain and added in a GL Mace with another on the way. When one of those Maces gets beat in, I will probably drop my core and go with a 2 Mace/2 Fuse combo.

Before that it was Hornet/Buzzz/Comet all day. It really just depends on what you like. I was determined to switch to lat 64 mids recently and luckily they worked out really well. (And the mace got released.)

Pain overstable
Roc3 stable
Element understable

shorter mids
vector overstable
axis stable
Wanna try the tangent for this next slot!

Ti Wasp
Ti Buzzz
GL Core
Beat Ching Legacy

Covers all the shots that I need.

I do have Tursas and Tangent ready to throw - as soon as the snow melts....

Occasionally I'll use a Champ King Cobra or TNY Warship - too many mid ranges not enough time or money. Mace? M3? Fugitive?

Just a question. What are the major differences in flight between your Ti Buzzz and your GL Core? I've only thrown one Ti Buzzz but to me it flew almost exactly like my GL Cores. Maybe its just me.

Rocs, Buzzzes, Wasps, Vector, Axis, Cros, etc for stable to overstable.
Aurora MS, Tangent, Core, etc for stable Super straight.
Fuse, Stratus, Stingray, and beaten in models of stable discs for turnovers.

Latest posts