• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] MS Aurora Love?

Didn't the original Roc/Shark/QMS all have the same top? Is the Roc3 top and Shark3 top also the same?

I always figured that the "3" mids were all the same new top. Shark3, Roc3, Mako3. But I have zero evidence to back that up. That makes more sense to me then "being the ching flat top" which to me is total nonsense.

Here is a QMS next to a Super Stingray for a little comparison
2j308cy.jpg

OG QMS on left, Super Stingray on right
I think the new QMS bears a lot of resemblance to the Super Stingray, but I do not have a new one on hand yet to add to the comparison

I don't recall seeing much difference between the top of the old QMS and the new QMS... I can definitely see the difference in the bottom but I don't remember seeing the Super Stingray's micro-bead on the new QMS.

Roc3 is super flat so the Ching flat top theory holds weight.

False. Theory does not hold weight. Ching rocs are called Ching rocs after the Ching full color stamping process used to make them. That press puts a lot of force on the top of the disc and flattens it, hence the flat tops. Ching rocs are/were flat from the post mold stamping process, not the mold.

Innova still has the ching stamp machine, and it works, but no ink to actually make full color stamps. They will run a batch of dx or kcpro rocs thru the stamp for a small fee (I think they charge an extra dollar per disc) and flatten the tops. These are sold as "flat top rocs" and you see them regularly as CFR discs.

It was my understanding that all the 3's shared the same top.

But now with the Teebird3 and Leopard3 who knows.

False. Theory does not hold weight. Ching rocs are called Ching rocs after the Ching full color stamping process used to make them. That press puts a lot of force on the top of the disc and flattens it, hence the flat tops. Ching rocs are/were flat from the post mold stamping process, not the mold.

Innova still has the ching stamp machine, and it works, but no ink to actually make full color stamps. They will run a batch of dx or kcpro rocs thru the stamp for a small fee (I think they charge an extra dollar per disc) and flatten the tops. These are sold as "flat top rocs" and you see them regularly as CFR discs.

Well the Roc3 is a consistently flat mold regardless, definitely a different top than the other 3 molds.

So I went through the bins at Infinite and can for sure say the micro bead has been around for a while on regular stingrays. They had DX with and without the micro beads. Some of the micro beaded ones had old tooling and some the newer tooling that matches the super stingrays. That would mean that the micro bead has been on regular stingrays for a while I think. Super stingrays all appear to have the microbead.

None of the QMS or AMS I looked at had microbeads but the one I bought a while back. It IS marked 1.8 on the stamp, and MILLENNIUM script is slanted instead of an upright font. It looked like the unmarked run number (newer) stamps were all shark3 top/beadless bottoms.

I went for a fully loaded tourney setup field workout tonight and had three MSs to compliment my Z Buzzz and BuzzzOS for mids.

I recently dropped the Dan Howard spin/brainwave in the bag to replace the slot of my former stable flier (top right blue) which now covers hyzer flips and turns over on flat throws. My third is a AMS beat to turnover with no thought of fade unless you throw it over 50' high.

Pic for the Love thread:

Attachments

• QMS.jpg
    QMS.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
threw one of these in standard plastic this weekend... straightest mid I have ever thrown.

Laser straight 300' Line.

What's the status of the QMS mold? I heard that they went back to no bead and that the microbead was limited to a run or two. Anyone know for sure?

Micro bead was present on the 1.8 run and had flat tops. Don't think they admit to it but the tops match up with my shark3's. Fairly stable run.

Haven't seem any 1.9's (current run) but they are said to be flat (I assume shark3 tops) and no longer have the micro bead. I suspect the 1.8's will be the only ones with the micro bead.

Just got 2 Aurora MS's yesterday from Marshall street. One QMS, one Sirius.
The QMS is the 1.8 run. Nice and flat, micro-bead, no flashing. Flew awesome. On hyzer it would flip to flat, turn a little, and had a little fade. I am totally in love with the thing, got 2 more coming.
The Sirius though, was super domey, and had sharp nasty flashing all the way around. Flew similar to the QMS, but it was weird. Seemed to glide less, didn't get as far.

Definitely go the QMS route.

Bringing this one back around again. I was at one of the local shops yesterday and snagged a new run of the Aurora in the standard plastic. This thing is table top flat and man does it feel good in the hand. The plastic is a little softer than previous Auroras I've owned, but it still flies magically straight. I sure with Innova would bring back the stiffer pro plastic. When I got home, I decided to do some digging on this new run and here's a couple things I found...just in case you were wondering.

** The Aurora MS got the "3" treatment a while back due to the previous few runs coming out really domey. All runs from here on out will be ran with the "3" top to keep them flat.

** The 1.8 run of the QMS has the microbead and is flat topped. This is the only run that will have the microbead. The microbead was supposed to be implemented for all runs going forward after the 1.8, but it sounds like that's not going to happen.

FYI, if you get one with the super sharp flashing on it, just remove it. I've experienced no huge change in flights for this mold when removing the flashing. Also, after my round yesterday, I went home and ordered up a Q and an S to go with my standard. I completely forgot how great this disc flies. I was even able to throw this thing sidearm and park a 290 ft hole in the process.

Latest posts