• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] MS Aurora Love?

I have been bagging a QMS for a couple of years now, but have not cycled through. I was looking for a buzz replacement, and initially found it, but over the course of the years, it has become my understable workhorse mid. I have two replacements for them, and after putting a huge gash in it the other day, it is time to start cycling. The nose does not seem blunt, w/a minimal dome, but (in my case) it has broken in to a great woods/tunnel shot disc. Here in KC, w/wind blowing seven different ways on a hole, it is not so great for open fairways (unless I need and anny flip). Cheers if you buy one. It's definitely a disc that has a small following.

I saw a Sirius MS on Facebook today, and I'm thinking I want to grab it, even if it doesn't make the bag, it would still be cool to have something dead straight (my Rocs have to much fade or not enough HSS) that is longer than my Nova.

The Aurora MS is a great disc. I've never, ever bagged it. The Roc/Comet slot is a tough slot to be in.

Anyone else??

Try an Infinite Discs Chariot, it the same as the 1.8 QMS. Starts out stable for a QMS but is in nice plastic and nice and flat.

All the Sirius MS's I've seen are domey and thats a turn off for me.

If you don't care if it is a touch more stable the newer runs of Quantum are nice and flat and still fly really nice.

B

Try an Infinite Discs Chariot, it the same as the 1.8 QMS. Starts out stable for a QMS but is in nice plastic and nice and flat.

All the Sirius MS's I've seen are domey and thats a turn off for me.

If you don't care if it is a touch more stable the newer runs of Quantum are nice and flat and still fly really nice.

B

To add, the 1.3 Sirius MS is flat and is a hyzer flip mid out of the box

Thinking of trying out an Aurora MS. Quantum vs. Sirius? Rancho vs. San Marino?

I haven't thrown a Sirius MS but have several in the baseline Aurora MS plastic. The baseline is a great disc and gives the point and shoot, stable straight in one season thats taken years to beat my QMS into. I prefer the MS in the Quantum plastic, but I play in the woods and QMS is a durable workhorse. The one I bag has been there for seven years. QMS are just so dependable and as they season just keep getting straighter or with the correct degree of hyzer, hold a sweeping hyzer or pan an anny to the ground. Basically, it does what you tell it to but you have to put it on the correct angle:D

I also like that my Q's don't have a bead so the feel isn't all that different from my Buzzzes. Some here have suggested their preference of Roc/Comet but they must like the bead.<3<sorry for the heart just never seen it or used it until now

I saw a Sirius MS on Facebook today, and I'm thinking I want to grab it, even if it doesn't make the bag, it would still be cool to have something dead straight (my Rocs have to much fade or not enough HSS) that is longer than my Nova.

Even with a couple of flat top Rocs in my bag, a fresh AMS is a staple for me. Its impressive to see the difference, the AMS' HSS and straight finish is very useful. The Aurora also requires less power for straightness.

It's been a bit since this thread was dusted off, so let's throw out a question for discussion.

I bag the Aurora, 2 in the bag currently, both in Quantum, both around 175.

One is a 1.7Q with nice controllable turn and no fade, great for the woods.
The other is a fairly fresh 1.8Q, beautiful for straight wooded holes.

I throw RHBH, mainly flat releases, but I do throw some other shots if needed.

I have a couple of wooded holes where I want the turn to come later in the flight than my 1.7Q can manage on a flat release.

I'm thinking I might get an M Aurora, beat it in a bit and see if I can release it hyzer, let it flip flat and then turn, which should get me the extra distance I want before the turn.

I have already tried it with my 1.7 Q but it still has enough stability it just flips flat.

Would that work or will an M Aurora just flip flat and ride?

M Auroras will definitely stay turned and drift if they're beat in enough. Or they used to.

It's been a bit since this thread was dusted off, so let's throw out a question for discussion.

I bag the Aurora, 2 in the bag currently, both in Quantum, both around 175.

One is a 1.7Q with nice controllable turn and no fade, great for the woods.
The other is a fairly fresh 1.8Q, beautiful for straight wooded holes.

I throw RHBH, mainly flat releases, but I do throw some other shots if needed.

I have a couple of wooded holes where I want the turn to come later in the flight than my 1.7Q can manage on a flat release.

I'm thinking I might get an M Aurora, beat it in a bit and see if I can release it hyzer, let it flip flat and then turn, which should get me the extra distance I want before the turn.

I have already tried it with my 1.7 Q but it still has enough stability it just flips flat.

Would that work or will an M Aurora just flip flat and ride?

8f96af96c7e3ddae32c82342102e43c3.jpg

I have this run of M Aurora, I think it's 1.8. Also have a QMS 1.8. This is a fresh backup, my thrower is in the bag and way more beat up. I can't throw my beat MS on a hyzer and get it to finish right. It flips to flat beautifully then laser beams dead straight. I do think the MS is faster and maybe more HSS since they switched to the "3" top, so maybe older runs are easier to turn over. YMMV though depending on your power, I get my mids out to 275ish. For the shot your describing, I throw a super beat dx roc...or just throw a forehand

8f96af96c7e3ddae32c82342102e43c3.jpg

I have this run of M Aurora, I think it's 1.8. Also have a QMS 1.8. This is a fresh backup, my thrower is in the bag and way more beat up. I can't throw my beat MS on a hyzer and get it to finish right. It flips to flat beautifully then laser beams dead straight. I do think the MS is faster and maybe more HSS since they switched to the "3" top, so maybe older runs are easier to turn over. YMMV though depending on your power, I get my mids out to 275ish. For the shot your describing, I throw a super beat dx roc...or just throw a forehand

Hmm, I guess I will have to give this a try and see.
I ordered a Millennium plastic Aurora very light, like 156. I will beat it up and see if I can get it to do what I am looking for.

Back troubles unfortunately make the forehand complicated for me.

Hmm, I guess I will have to give this a try and see.

I love QMSs as much as the next guy (probably more), but I feel like what you really need for this shot shape is something even more flippy.

Try messing around with a Tursas. Out of the box at ~175g it will be like what you are trying to find a light/beat up MS to do.

Source: the only 2 mids I carry the last 2 years are a 180g QMS and 175g Tournament Tursas, because of the exact shot you describe here - the super late turn.

I love QMSs as much as the next guy (probably more), but I feel like what you really need for this shot shape is something even more flippy.

Try messing around with a Tursas. Out of the box at ~175g it will be like what you are trying to find a light/beat up MS to do.

Source: the only 2 mids I carry the last 2 years are a 180g QMS and 175g Tournament Tursas, because of the exact shot you describe here - the super late turn.

Post like this are how I end up with new molds and another shelf full of back ups. Now I want to throw a tursa

Thanks Roggen,

I will keep that Tursas in mind. I wondered if that might be the case that I was trying to push the Aurora to do more than it can.

I think I've got some trade in money waiting for me at PIAS, I might look to see if they have a T Tursas next time I'm in.

The older runs fly slower with more float. They are similar in flight to a comet. The 1.8 QMS is slightly overstable compared to most Auroras due to the micro-bead. I had a 1.9 QMS at 172 grams that could turn without too much effort. My 1.9 QMS at 180 has more HSS than the lighter one from the same run. I also had a 1.3 Sirius at 180 with HSS in between the two previously mentioned. That was possibly one of my longest mids.

I really enjoy the old CE QMS. They are great for one disc rounds and fly so true. One of mine is factory tie-dye with a peace sign. They are more of a finesse midrange. The newer flat runs do feel/fly better for a sidearm due to the flat top and stability. The stability can change a good amount between different runs, plastics and weights.

I teach summer school disc golf. Each student gets an aurora MS. This is the only disc they can use for the first two weeks of class. Weights range from 150-169. They usually send white, blue, orange, and yellow. I have learned to control these lighter discs and have actually aced with them 4 times. Fun to try lighter discs, love the way they fly.

DT Aurora MS! No idea on the profile but it looks like it might be the same newer Innova tooling that some flatter top 4-5 speed mids from Innova & Infinite have. Hopefully I can get my hands on some since I have started to enjoy the D-blend Color Glow Chariot I picked up earlier this year.

Latest posts