• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mt Airy DGC Alert! Threat of closure!!!

This does suck, Cincinnati was going to lay off a lot of police and firefighters. They redid their budget to lay off less of them and the parks and other non-essential things have to suffer.
Mt Airy has never been pay to play but I think it's time to make it that way.

I am with you Jerry on this idea, but the course will can not generate enough money to keep the park open.

I think we should all add Mt Airy to our favorites list. Then the local club could use that number relative to the number on this site to show the support for this course. It is not much but for those of us that do not live nearby it may be the best we can do.

I think we should all add Mt Airy to our favorites list. Then the local club could use that number relative to the number on this site to show the support for this course. It is not much but for those of us that do not live nearby it may be the best we can do.

Its been on my favorites list since I played it a couple of years ago. And that was in the winter!

Best of luck, it would be a shame to lose her. I thought y'all was getting another 18:confused:

I am with you Jerry on this idea, but the course will can not generate enough money to keep the park open.

But it could keep the course open. With help from other areas such as local club and volunteers the course could stay open without money from the city. I doubt it would happen but it could.

Its been on my favorites list since I played it a couple of years ago. And that was in the winter!

Best of luck, it would be a shame to lose her. I thought y'all was getting another 18:confused:

That was true. This parks cut is a new thing in the last couple days.

Ridiculous. F that, I just paid for a new tee sign on 16 (along with Enzy and drivethrutke).

Sounds like the entire park is closing, not just the course.

What's the word on the shop?

I paid for #13. I did get a nice thank you letter from them. They forgot to mention this in that letter. :\

But this isn't the park that's causing the problem, it's the city telling the park what to do. If I am reading it right.

Best of luck. I just played my airy a few months back on a trip out there and its an amazing place. I was hoping to go back some day.

That park is enormous, I am not surprised it would be closed entirely. Such a waste; I would probably kill to have that park in the Chicagoland area.

:(

This is terrible news!!! I played it for the first time today and had an absolute blast. Also, Fred's shop is amazing. I will try to be there on Monday to support the cause. Thanks for a great round Old Bassman and hipster!

I don't know the exact situation there, but would it be possible for the local club to rally the membership and propose to the city or whomever that all maintenance would be performed by volunteers? That's what we do here, and it's a great deal for the city and county, and for us, too. In our situation, the powers that be's eyes lit up when we said we would handle all maintenance, garbage collection, etc. Might be enough to keep the course open, it's worth a shot. But, it sounds like, with a course as popular as that, it would take a pretty serious commitment on the part of the club. Probably worth it, though. Good luck.

Mt. Airy is pay to play? I don't think I've ever paid there, but it is my favorite course in Cinci.

Thats what I was thinking . . . although I was only there once I did not see nor know that it was pay to play. I even mentioned it before and was willing to send some money for my round but noone ever said what to do with the money nor answered if it was pay to play.

If it isn't pay to play it is time to discuss that . . . if the shop is open all of the time make them collect the money and contribute to the maintenance. Better yet, buy a mower with the money raised from season passes and continue charging daily fees to pay for fuel and other costs and manage the maintenance of the disc golf course part of the park . . . it will become a trend I promise.

What is really heartbreaking about this is knowing the terrible condition it was in when I started playing and seeing how amazing it's become after all the work that was put into it to restore it to prominence. The baskets look amazing. While I think the course flowed better with old(er) 1, the proshop is awesome, and the practice/warmup area is incredible.

^^^

Good points. That course is way ahead of the curve in terms of the pro shop, driving net, and multiple practice baskets.

I'm rooting for y'all down there, Fred.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement. We have never been pay for play but would make it happen if it meant the course would stay open. I would rather the course stay open than the shop. We(the GCFDA and The Nati and locals) will work together and try to put something together before the meeting on Monday so that we can show Cincinnati that "DISC GOLF IN CINCINNATI IS HERE TO STAY".

Latest posts