• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nicknames on the course

Johnny Cotton Socks, to my buddy who perpetually slings his plastic into the sheet, then stands in the fairway directing other where he thinks it may have went, as we are all in the shule looking.
That bum would be Johnny No Discs in my book. No way in hell I'm gonna fetch for him :D

My nicknames all pertain to my last name. I get lots. Some good, some bad. Things like The Thominator, Thomcat, Thomahawk, Thommy Boy, Thom Turkey, Thom Thumb. Many of those are from my hockey days, and they just kinda stuck.

I also get called the "Meat Missile". Coolest nickname ever.

Last edited:
Usually it's "KP" which are my initials. There are simply too many Chris-type names out there. Some variations of that typically ensue: Kapes, Kay-Pizzle, Ka-Please, and other pseudo-gangster names are common.

From hiking the Appalachian Trail, some know me as "Timber!" which is my Trail Name. It's fun to yell from mountain tops, I can tell you that much.

There are simply too many Chris-type names out there.

I play with two guys named Chris (Christopher and Christian), one is nicknamed "Big Dog" and the other "Kong." They introduce themselves with their given name, followed by "Just call me [nickname]"

I had a friend whose name was Chris Lang. This was back in the day when the disc marking best practices was to write your name in huge sharpie letters on the underside of the flight plate. Right as he started playing, Chris hit the basket attachment on a putt with the accompanying "CLANG" sound. His disc landed upside-down on the ground to expose in huge sharpie letters "C. LANG". He was renamed the Clanger, still the best disc golf nickname I've heard.

He died a few years ago, RIP Clanger.

My last name is Montgomery, and seven or 8 years ago my late DG buddy Dusty gave me the nickname "Monty". Everyone in the DG community knows me as Monty, but outside of disc golf, no one calls me that. They all just call me Jeff.

When my buddies and i started playing some 4 years ago, one of the guys used one of those soft insulated lunchboxes for his disc golf bag. Pretty brilliant as its the perfect size and keeps his drink cool. We nicknamed him 'lunchbox' on and off the course for that.

All of the regulars in my area have nicknames and i always assumed it was standard for all hardcore discers to have one. The rule is that you cant create your own, it just has to happen naturally. It took me two years of playing weekly dubs before i earned mine and i actually kinda like my nickname..which is T1.

Unfortunately, mine came from a dude 35 years younger than me calling me an old cripple. The guys said 'there's your new league name', but I said let's add an 'r' and make it Crippler. Makes me sound like an old school wrestler, kinda cool having people 30-40 years younger than me calling me da Crippler.:thmbup:

My son, for the longest time, would spray throws every which direction. Anybody near him when he was on the tee could end up with a disc flying at them--even if they were somewhere to his rear. We starting calling him the Inquisitor, because nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! (Nor discs flying at them when they're in a "safe" location.) He's since gotten better and isn't a danger to everybody and everything within his throwing distance (and he has developmental disabilities, if you're wondering how he could end up so erratic.)

Mine is Animal, given to me after some impressive burps. Morning beer and no breakfast is a winning burp combination.

I turbo putt a lot, locals sometime call me Turbosan or Mista T-ah-bow. This amuses both me and them.

Mine comes from playing in the snow te first time in WI, slipping on an icy teepad but I didn't go down!

Some local guysi was playing with said I looked like a Moose on roller skates.
I told my wife who thought it was hilarious and told my dubs partner.

Now I think more golfers know me as Moose than my real name.

Brother Dave, BroD for short. *shrugs*

My brother got the nickname "Sneaky" from his card mates at the MVP tourney I threw. Apparently he kept sneaking the disc through tight spots which turned into "Sneaky John got through the trees again." I am not letting that nickname die, lol.

I play with a guy whose nickname is "Icepick". The hilarious part is that he embraces the nickname, oblivious to the fact that it is an inside joke. My friend christened him with it because "he is as useful as an icepick in the desert in July" roflmao. Good times.