• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] OS Midrange: help me spend money!

From the op I definitely thought gator. Maybe a "flyer" gator (one that's not just a total meat hook).....they seem to come in flyer and full on hook versions. Beaded champion gator is the most similar to rocs and comets. Great for all the shots mentioned in op.

I prefer the Drone over the Gator. It flies further and I can forehand it better. The Verdict is nice, but nearly as overstable.

A powered down Banshee works well for me too.

Love, love the drone. Kicked the Gator and Zone out of my bag and bag it with a Wasp and Rhyno now. Up one step is a faf FB instead of Banshee.

If you weren't planning on putting a big order in at the factory store, I have one of the glow champ gators I would be glad to get rid of. It's only been thrown in the field a few times and could use a good home.

I handle my OS midrange duties with a Firebird.

Things I am interested in for my overstable mid:
- strong fade :thmbup:
- extremely HSS :thmbup:
- wind resistance :thmbdown:
- will be used for rollers :hfive:
- maybe some skip shots? :confused:

Thanks and I look forward to hearing any feedback!

So there is my emoji take on the concept behind very overstable mids. I like slightly OS molds just fine but they generally have superior glide and line shaping ability vs stupid OS mids.

Now the stupid OS mids and some less OS do have wind resistance but are still blunt edged often larger diameter molds that just do not fly well into headwinds and glide around in crosswinds more vs drivers which are even less OS.

And the skips... Yeah ive used some beefy mids for skips but the reliability of it compared to a firebird like skip is just not there and with much use the mid range mold is seasoned way faster on these types of throws specially if beaded.

I like to throw my vector (slightly OS/faster roc like mold) but dont really use it as an "overstable" disc. It can skip and fight wind but i really just prefer it for the solid HSS and fade while being able to stretch out lower lines over a putter or shorter fairway shots. Nice for small flex shots that land softer vs a driver but doesnt need to be torqued hard to do it. OS mids are just weird to me but i like discs that fly.

Blah blah blah... You asked! :p

Hornet or Verdict will give you the distance and the stability you're looking for.

I wouldn't go more OS or less glidey if you want to pump them out to 350.

If you want an unrepentant meat hooker then check out the MOAB but don't expect to put it out to 350 except on a wicked flex shot.. maybe not even then.

I understand why some think overstable mids are pointless. But I find the overstable putters to be the pointless ones. Or, rather, that only one can fit in your bag. I bag a Drone. But I've carried a Zone or Pig instead at times and didn't notice the difference.

FWIW, I think the Gator is a superior roller and skip disc to the Drone.

I carry a buzzz os for my stable/os mid.
If I need more "fight to the ground" than that I pull out my zone or xxx, depending on the speed/distance needed

I understand why some think overstable mids are pointless. But I find the overstable putters to be the pointless ones. Or, rather, that only one can fit in your bag. I bag a Drone. But I've carried a Zone or Pig instead at times and didn't notice the difference.

I don't like to back way off on shots. For me that's when things can get squirrely. Can I take my resistor and throw it around that bend that's 150' out? Sure, but I'm much more accurate doing it with a zone. I prefer to put roughly the same power into my shots. When I try to overpower up or power way way down is when I get in trouble. I would expect others feel the same way.

"Now enter the force of your swing. I suggest Feather Touch. You have entered Power Drive."
What does Lee Carvallo know about putting?

Last edited:
It depends what exactly you are looking for in an "OS mid"...

Are you looking for something that you can throw a wide line with and let it fade way back in?
Or are you looking for something that will hold straight in a crosswind?

My "OS mid" slot is only used for tight shots that need to hold straight in a crosswind. I currently use a metal flake Roc3 for that slot and am loving it. I carried a drone for a while for something that would crash hard left, but it wasn't giving me anything my Scale, Rocs, or FB couldn't give me.

LOL, not yet... I have self-imposed spending limits. No more discs on this credit card statement.
The next order will be:
Z Drone
Zone (plastic TBD)
Z Hornet
DX Gator
possibly Champ Glow Gator?

shortly followed by a few rounds where I throw only these discs ;)

LOL, not yet... I have self-imposed spending limits. No more discs on this credit card statement.
The next order will be:
Z Drone
Zone (plastic TBD)
Z Hornet
DX Gator
possibly Champ Glow Gator?

shortly followed by a few rounds where I throw only these discs ;)

Buy the DX Gator in person and look for minimal dome (a little is okay but not too much). I ordered one online once and got a turd with a huge pop top that flew like a Roc. Otherwise, I'd recommend a Star or Champ Gator; I think they are more consistent than DX in that mold.