• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA NT: Santa Cruz Masters Cup Presented by Innova May 28-30

So much this!!

It blows my mind that last week at USWDGC we heard complaints about this but this week....not a word.

I don't get complaining about one single crossing fairway but not complaining about multiple crossing fairways at DeLa.:\

The one "crossing" fairway at Auburn had landing zones almost as large as a football field. There was very little danger of players drives hitting each other as both tees can see each other and share this giant grassy fairway with zero obstacles.

12 was in D and 13 was in F. Not ideal, but not dangerous like DeLa. Drives on 13 land well past the 12 landing zone. Both maps show the other tee.

908a1a83.jpg

7126fe78.jpg

282a7981.jpg

b2c9b4a8.jpg

I'm not 100% familiar with DeLa but I can recognize similar status of certain courses in Finland. "Classic" ones, that if the plan was presented to any sane person today, would certainly never be installed in that format in that park with the volumes of players we have today.

Does anyone know why the quietly replaced "Steady Ed" with "Santa Cruz" for the Masters Cup a few years ago? Also why do we not have tee times for Friday yet?

I was just in the area there, and I guess the DG world should be considered lucky that DeLa survived the fires of last year, there were wide swaths of areas and parks really close-by that are still closed.

The one "crossing" fairway at Auburn had landing zones almost as large as a football field. . . giant grassy fairway with zero obstacles.

^ From a spectator perspective, this right here is why I vastly prefer DeLa over Auburn. I love watching rounds at DeLa and hope to play there one of these days. But if I was responsible for safety, the TOTW shot would certainly give me heartburn.

With regard to the crossing fairways, I would be happy to provide a "free" safety evaluation if someone would like to cover my travel, hotel, and beverage expenses. :p

https://santacruzmasterscup.com/images/2021/MC21_Caddy_Book_NT.pdf

Caddybook shows TOTW at over 500'

I guess they are using the long location?!?..

...but it also shows it as Hole 4 for the event and what is normally hole6 being the final hole of the round(semi wide open RHFH or RHBH turnover shot where the road is right behind the basket).

I played Dela more than 10 years ago, but with that much elevation drop 500' isn't that far. I'm not that good, but I stood at that tee and thought I could hit the parking lot (or a couple of different tees) easily.

Agreed with Discette regarding the obvious issues with Dela. I have to think it gets a pass due to it's long history as a highly regarded course (not saying that's a good reason). Fun course, but the problems are real. Crossing fairways, plus the multiple acre spray zone on top of the world. Wonder how much erosion has changed things since I was out there.

I think NT events should NOT be on a course with multiple crossing fairways and dangerous pin placements. Why are crossing fairways ok for DeLa but not any other course on Earth? :wall:

Fairways cross on Holes 5 & 6. Then on Holes 13 (I-5) and 16. The shared fairway of 13/16 can also get bombed by drives on 12 (Refrigerator). The Top of The World shot is dangerous everyday. Maybe not for top pros, but players on Am Weekend are bombing Tee 1, Tee 25 and the parking lot every 10 minutes.

How is any of this acceptable for an NT event? Because it is highly rated? Reviewers here even mention the crossing fairways and the TOTW death shot and they still give it a 5!:thmbdown:

Right or wrong, I think it's going to happen. Some of the oldest golf courses have crossing fairways and no one has changed them. Majors keep happening on them. The Jomez practice round video showed its dangerous but people there react like it's no big deal.

To me, the fact that you have to specify what hole you are yelling FORE on, means its probably not the safest of tee shots :lol:

I would gladly empty my bag from there tho

Somebody tell BroD he shouldn't watch the GK Pro 2nd round coverage...

...well unless he falls on his face in tomorrow's round:D

Anyone know why they changed the course around? Starting on what was 24? and then not following the regular course flow?

Latest posts