• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA NT: The Ed Headrick Disc Golf Hall of Fame Classic Oct 11-13

10K viewers, $80-$100K in fees, would be significant.

I was assuming non-PPV, where the revenue comes from advertising, patreon, and wherever else they can dig it up. What's the value of a non-paying viewer? $1? $0.10? Seems to me it would take an awful lot of them, to cover expenses and make a profit and pay for rights.

The YouTube value is more significant than you assume. When the views are up in the 80-100K range, that can be anywhere from $500/$1000 per video. YouTube ad revenue is anywhere from 7-9 dollars per 1000 views on average. More for some channels. So, for a 3 round event, that value is worth at least 2-3K dollars within the first week of viewing. Plus then you can add on any future views.

In addition the PDGA would pay companies anywhere from $1000-$2000 per round for coverage of the NT events.

Plus, when you get the lead card, you can drive and justify your Patreon. For instance JomezPro has over 2000 patreon supporters, that is probably a minimum of 100-150K per year. CCDG makes about $900/video (which significantly drops per video released).

Then on top of that you will get advertisers for the MPO1 card. And that is a few thousand dollars per event.

Overall the MPO lead card is at a minimum worth $7K-10K a weekend for our Elite level events.

Trust me, I have seen the numbers. I have talked with the crews, manufacturers, and the sponsors on this.

Last edited:
YouTube ad money is big business. There is a 7yr old kid that made $22mil last year and all he does is review toys...:eek:

Gaming is huge too...I remember watching guys like Seananners, Hutch, BlameTruth, XCal and others and they eventually quit their daytime jobs to become full time "gamers." I think a lot of that has moved on to Twitch nowadays. Most post YouTube vids announcing Twitch streams.

Note on my post a few minutes ago. The $7-9 CMP (click per 1000) is for just ONE advertisement. Some of the companies will put in 2 or 3 YouTube ads. And if people watch the videos all the way thru. 3 ads @ 80K viewers * 6 videos per weekend * $7/CMP = about $9K per weekend for your videos in YouTube ad revenue. Now that is obviously best case scenario. I happen to use an ad blocker, as I am sure others do as well. So my original talks of 2-3K for YouTube money is on the very low side. That is the minimum, it is probably closer to 4-5K.

The days of thinking that the big post production media teams are "scraping by" is long gone.

Last edited:
Why have you guys not gone down that route more?

Do you mean Post Production? There are a few reasons why we haven't done it for SmashBoxxTV yet.
1. Editing. After the live broadcasting all day, we would need an editor to put all of that together and create a post production video. That would require at least 1 additional person on the crew for just editing.

2. Timing. With our setup we usually are recording FPO & MPO each day. That means that we are on the course from 8am until about 6pm. Lining up pros to do commentary would be difficult. It leads back to my first point. We would need another person to coordinate that stuff while our crew is doing live.

3. Camerawork. There are some big differences between live and post production camerawork. The post production guys get to run around without a care in the world to get an optimal position and then just hit record. Our live guys need to be on the ball for the entire round and cant just run around. If we wanted to create a good quality post production video, we would need 1 person who is NOT live to capture some of those shots for when our live camera guys are out of position.

Take a look at the little bio that Jomez did for GBO on the crew it took them to do post production for 2 rounds in 1 day. We would require that, plus some people.

It is something that we have talked about and explored ideas. I will not rule it out in the future as an option. Lots of things can happen in the off season.

And if the question is why not just do Post production without live. That is a Disc Golf Guy thing honestly. Terry has been doing that longer than SmashBoxxTV has been around. So usually if someone just wants post production, we point them to Terry for that.

Do you mean Post Production? There are a few reasons why we haven't done it for SmashBoxxTV yet.
1. Editing. After the live broadcasting all day, we would need an editor to put all of that together and create a post production video. That would require at least 1 additional person on the crew for just editing.

From the numbers you are mentioning and the online following you already have it feels like a no brainer to hire an editor in for this and a camera 3? Haven't you already incurred most of the costs in being there and filming live?

From the numbers you are mentioning and the online following you already have it feels like a no brainer to hire an editor in for this and a camera 3? Haven't you already incurred most of the costs in being there and filming live?

Yes, this does make the most sense for the event. If they want live and post production for us to just work with and hire 2 additional people that we would need to make it happen. But, the PDGA doesn't trust the process yet for NTs. We told them a few years ago that we couldn't put out a good post production with only the live setup. Of course that is when we were just getting off the ground, things have changed since then. Plus, in case you haven't heard, the PDGA seems like they are already set in their post production plans for 2020. I will let you know more when we know more.

The YouTube value is more significant than you assume. When the views are up in the 80-100K range, that can be anywhere from $500/$1000 per video. YouTube ad revenue is anywhere from 7-9 dollars per 1000 views on average. More for some channels. So, for a 3 round event, that value is worth at least 2-3K dollars within the first week of viewing. Plus then you can add on any future views.

In addition the PDGA would pay companies anywhere from $1000-$2000 per round for coverage of the NT events.

Plus, when you get the lead card, you can drive and justify your Patreon. For instance JomezPro has over 2000 patreon supporters, that is probably a minimum of 100-150K per year. CCDG makes about $900/video (which significantly drops per video released).

Then on top of that you will get advertisers for the MPO1 card. And that is a few thousand dollars per event.

Overall the MPO lead card is at a minimum worth $7K-10K a weekend for our Elite level events.

Trust me, I have seen the numbers. I have talked with the crews, manufacturers, and the sponsors on this.

I don't doubt the figures. I was thinking in terms of live view---how many would you have to have, to make up for not having PPV on live view? Certainly, post-production can generate a lot more viewers.

If the PDGA is paying, isn't that the equivalent of a negative bid?

Yes, if the PDGA is paying then it would be a negative bid. Wow. To make up for NOT having PPV... I don't know if there would be enough viewers to ever make up that amount if you are JUST talking YouTube ads.

Jomez had a Worlds video hit 1M views. And if they had a $7 CPM, that is still only about $7K. If all 1M people watched the entire thing they probably made anywhere from 10-15K on that video.

I heard on Dixon's podcast that the USDGC media budget was close to 50K. I don't know what that all included. If it was just live or if that included post production as well. So, basically a LOT of views to make up for the media budget of the USDGC. Now, SmashBoxx can do things at a much lower budget, but we wouldn't have a lot of the trimmings that the USDGC had.

It is tough to say what it would take on just YouTube. But it would be more than what we have ever seen, that is for sure.

Latest posts