• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

Looks like it's going to be a hot one. Already sold 7 in the first half hour and have a ton of them left!

Still pretty bummed that my shop only ordered 160 and higher. Pretty OS for 325' of power. Which isn't a bad thing but I was really hoping to get one of the <155 to see a bit of turn.

Distance is there though, I've pushed this thing out to about 360' with a 163g which is a pretty big deal for me.

^MST and Discgolfcenter have lighter Photons. DGC even has a couple in the 130's.

Sadly I try not to buy a lot online. Kind of don't want the wife to see how much I spend on discs... Lol. Try to use cash when I can. Sad I know, but I have a good stack I don't use in the back room. May have to go ahead and make the order though. Lol

Hey All,
What weight would you suggest for a guy chucking a 166g fission volt 375'?

I can throw a bit past 400' but not very consistently.

^ I'd go around that same weight, if that's what you're comfortable with. Maybe a light 160's if you can find one. The Photon should easily go past 400' for you.

I threw two Photons today, a 154g and a 164g. They were both surprisingly overstable - no turn whatsoever unless I was throwing with a little wind.

I expected them to be more like seasoned Destroyers, but they're more like fresh overstable Destroyers.

Yea my 156g is still plenty beefy enough to fight out of a spike anhy. When thrown flat and hard , it drifted slightly to the right, flew a long way b4 fading out hard. I was throwing it alongside a N wrath, champ glo tern, and gstar tern, it was the farthest every round except when I stomped on my wrath one throw. When you take the weight difference into account it was flying very similar to my glo tern, which is tad more OS than your average tern. I was in the 380-410ft range with it 5 of 6 throws, with the sixth being a sawed off noob hyzer, lol. Once this breaks in a little I see no problem breaking 400-420ft on a regular basis(the direction I throw it in will be another issue)...

Last edited:
Once this breaks in a little I see no problem breaking 400-420ft on a regular basis(the direction I throw it in will be another issue)...

Yeah, from what I'm heard I'm wondering if these will be like Teslas: a bit beefier than expected when everyone first gets their hands on them, but once they've worn a bit they'll show more wiggle and a less drastic but still dependable fade.

Can't wait to get my hands on these. Just in time for the end of the teaching semester, so I'll have ample time for disc golf!

Just got mine today, 162 light purple. My first throw was high and it faded out. The second one I adjusted and threw it hard and low with a touch of anhyzer uphill and it held the line and barely fought out probably around 375 uphill. I'd say it's similar to the stability of the World, but I don't see why I would switch. I've seen words tossed around like "bomb" and "game changer" here and on the fb page... Have you guys just not thrown high speed drivers before? This one, I personally wouldn't say is anything special. It's totally fine and it works but I wouldn't say it's very different than anything else out there. So unless you've never thrown high speed stuff before or you're trying to go all MVP, I don't think it's worth switching drivers.

the world isn't even really comparable. but yes, many of us have thrown a high speed driver....

:rolleyes:

World:
•Diameter: 21.2 cm
•Height: 1.6 cm
•Rim Depth: 1.2 cm
•Rim Width: 2.4 cm
•Max Weight: 176.00

Photon:
•Diameter: 21.1 cm
•Height: 1.4 cm
•Rim Depth: 1.1 cm
•Rim Width: 2.2 cm
•Max Weight: 163.00 g

Have you not thrown high speed drivers before? or just chuck em?

So unless you've never thrown high speed stuff before or you're trying to go all MVP, I don't think it's worth switching drivers.[/QUOTE]

So, uh, wanna trade it?

I got a 144 and love it and want to get a heavier one too. PM me if you're interested.

the world isn't even really comparable. but yes, many of us have thrown a high speed driver....

:rolleyes:

World:
•Diameter: 21.2 cm
•Height: 1.6 cm
•Rim Depth: 1.2 cm
•Rim Width: 2.4 cm
•Max Weight: 176.00

Photon:
•Diameter: 21.1 cm
•Height: 1.4 cm
•Rim Depth: 1.1 cm
•Rim Width: 2.2 cm
•Max Weight: 163.00 g

Have you not thrown high speed drivers before? or just chuck em?

I've thrown Worlds 450', I'm saying the photons are similar stability. Is that difficult? I'm not talking specs. Would you drop Worlds for photons if you own and throw 4 worlds? That is my situation.

What are you dropping for Photons? I'd love to know.

I'll try out the Phase though for forehands, etc.

I'm just thinking that because a lot of people, especially on fb, are saying the Photon "instantly added 50 feet to their drives," maybe they've just been throwing Teslas for a while, (which is substantially slower speed than high speed drivers). 50' past cannons and worlds and destroyers? I doubt it. Maybe mike c somehow, I don't pretend to throw 500, but not you or me

I'm just thinking that because a lot of people, especially on fb, are saying the Photon "instantly added 50 feet to their drives," maybe they've just been throwing Teslas for a while, (which is substantially slower speed than high speed drivers). 50' past cannons and worlds and destroyers? I doubt it. Maybe mike c somehow, I don't pretend to throw 500, but not you or me

Yeah you might be seeing the hardcore MVP fans who were only throwing the speed 9 or 10 drivers until these ones dropped.

I have been throwing Teslas since they released as my distance driver and I am salivating for my Photon to arrive Tuesday :D

Your stance on the Photon is refreshing however. I do not anticipate this disc being an absolute game changer vs the Destroyer & D1's that I used to throw. Distance drivers are distance drivers. I just trust that MVP will be able to produce these relatively consistently vs. the crapshoot offered by most companies. I also have seem to have developed a love for neutron plastic. I'm not sure why but when the sheen wears off it just seems to be the perfect grip.