• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prediction: Paul McBeth Stays With Innova

My theory is that he's looking to build the sport in an explosive way to ensure his legacy and earnings beyond 'retirement'. I think this will involve a worldwide sports brand in partnership with him, seriously increasing the exposure of the sport. Nike or Adidas would be my (and others') guess. He'd still be free to throw Aviars, Rocs, Teebirds and Destroyers as well as a Zone.

See how Nike got into Golf in a big way on the back of Tiger sponsorship? They didn't make balls or clubs 20 odd years ago and now they're one of the main players. Could see the same thing here; discs, baskets, bags, clothing, shoes.

The other option would be a part ownership of an existing manufacturer, but that wouldn't have the same exposure.

There is definitely a business angle here rather than simple sponsorship.

See how Nike got into Golf in a big way on the back of Tiger sponsorship? They didn't make balls or clubs 20 odd years ago and now they're one of the main players. Could see the same thing here; discs, baskets, bags, clothing, shoes.

Nike got out of golf a few years ago. And McBeth doesn't hold a candle to 1990's Tiger- in dollars or exposure.

Nike got out of golf a few years ago. And McBeth doesn't hold a candle to 1990's Tiger- in dollars or exposure.
This is true, but it was a mature, saturated market with decreasing participation figures and golf clubs are also much more expensive to design and produce than discs or baskets.

I can see them getting involved, expanding the sport into the mainstream including equipment and coverage and seeing how it goes.

How big is the design / production facility at Innova? Could Nike compete with that then write it off as a failed experiment in two or three years time? Sure they can. But with the biggest name in the sport on board, they'd be minimising their risk big time.

Are they (Innova) having a sale or pushing any McDiscs?

Let's say that they took the speculation and fake announced that he was leaving simply to drive sales.

This would be borderline false advertising and could easily end up in court if pressed by the right people.

We can still speculate about what Paul will do in 2019, but to say he stays with Innova and it's all been a big joke is just silly at this point.

Let's say that they took the speculation and fake announced that he was leaving simply to drive sales.

This would be borderline false advertising and could easily end up in court if pressed by the right people.

This is pretty funny. If it came out that this was an Innova ploy, it would hurt their brand, but there would be no case for false advertising.

Imagine trying to pitch this to a lawyer.

1. "Innova advertised that Paul McBeth was leaving their team, but he didn't."

2. ???

3. Profit

Innova made no false claims about their discs.

This is pretty funny. If it came out that this was an Innova ploy, it would hurt their brand, but there would be no case for false advertising.

Imagine trying to pitch this to a lawyer.

1. "Innova advertised that Paul McBeth was leaving their team, but he didn't."

2. ???

3. Profit

Innova made no false claims about their discs.

I see your point about the difference in people assuming the discs would stop being made and Innova only saying he was leaving.

But as you said, it would hurt their brand. There's absolutely no chance at this point he is on Innova next year.

I see your point about the difference in people assuming the discs would stop being made and Innova only saying he was leaving.

But as you said, it would hurt their brand. There's absolutely no chance at this point he is on Innova next year.

My theory is this....

a) He has legally left Innova incase anyone wants to "view the books".
b) They announce it on Halloween to cement the fact for later, it was a "trick".
c) An announcement of some kind is coming in the near future that he has re-signed with Innova but in a larger capacity, he is not sponsored and can't be sponsored since he is now a part owner, partner, etc, of the company.

I just don't see him in any capacity...throwing Discraft, "Trilogy", etc. There's not enough money in disc golf to give anyone the money being speculated, if there was, other worth while pros would be getting similar large sized deals (in the past) and wouldn't have to peddle plastic to make ends meet...imop. ;)

We'll see.....we'll see.....

OK, I was one who publicly stated that no way is PM leaving Innova.
However, I also said that if Paul was going to Discraft, it was for business reasons.
Discraft has been trying to improve their brand and Paul is trying to build his own brand.
Further (and total) speculation:
Paul is joining Discraft because they are offering him something that Innova is unwilling to give him.
Innova arguably needs no help with their brand, but Discraft sees the benefit of building on Paul's brand.
Discraft releases a line of McBeth discs, clothing, baskets, bags, carts, design sevices, etc.
They give him access to land to build some signature courses.
I'm not sure they're giving him part ownership, but it's possible.
But my (total) speculation is that they'll enable him to build his brand somehow.
Innova was not going to "partner" with McBeth, but Discraft is a smaller, leaner company and more able to structure and benefit from said partnership.

My theory is this....

a) He has legally left Innova incase anyone wants to "view the books".
b) They announce it on Halloween to cement the fact for later, it was a "trick".
c) An announcement of some kind is coming in the near future that he has re-signed with Innova but in a larger capacity, he is not sponsored and can't be sponsored since he is now a part owner, partner, etc, of the company.

I just don't see him in any capacity...throwing Discraft, "Trilogy", etc. There's not enough money in disc golf to give anyone the money being speculated, if there was, other worth while pros would be getting similar large sized deals (in the past) and wouldn't have to peddle plastic to make ends meet...imop. ;)

We'll see.....we'll see.....

If he's taking on an ownership role, or a creating his own brand and partnering with Innova to produce the discs, why on earth would he need to publicly cut ties as a sponsored player to facilitate it? The only way that makes sense is if he intends to shop around for a partner and then comes back to Innova at a later time. But if the plan all along is for him to return to Innova, this whole thing of announcing he's no longer sponsored is entirely unnecessary. And potentially harmful to his "brand" going forward.

Occum's Razor, as always, is the best way to approach this. He got a better offer from someone else. Period. He's done with Innova and he's moving on.

If he's taking on an ownership role, or a creating his own brand and partnering with Innova to produce the discs, why on earth would he need to publicly cut ties as a sponsored player to facilitate it? The only way that makes sense is if he intends to shop around for a partner and then comes back to Innova at a later time. But if the plan all along is for him to return to Innova, this whole thing of announcing he's no longer sponsored is entirely unnecessary. And potentially harmful to his "brand" going forward.

Occum's Razor, as always, is the best way to approach this. He got a better offer from someone else. Period. He's done with Innova and he's moving on.

All this talk of a deal with Discraft and then Innova announcing of all days..on.. "Halloween" that Paul is gone. Just seemed like an obvious "trick" they were pulling on all of us. If he does stay with Innova I admit there will be some backlash, but only from a small group of peeps that don't mind paying inflated prices for plastic.

I admit...I am starting to lose a bit of steam on this prediction...... but still holding out for a bit longer. lol..

Indeed, I heard the 1st Discraft new mold with his name on it will be named McOcums Razor. Best for approaches.

Additionally, he's going to create pay to play courses throughout the world, a' la Putt-Putt mini golf. These courses will feature redesigned baskets flush with the ground. No chains. They'll be called "Paul McBeths McRoller Ace" parks.

I still believe he is going to make his own line of discs and have discraft or someone else manufacture them for him. I think hes going to try and be the Jordan of disc golf and brand himself and just make all the dollars.

See, with all the craziness surrounding the announcement, this seems plausible. I wonder though, if he was going this route, why wouldn't he have Innova make the hypothetical discs? Obviously there isn't any bad blood there.

OK, I was one who publicly stated that no way is PM leaving Innova.
However, I also said that if Paul was going to Discraft, it was for business reasons.
Discraft has been trying to improve their brand and Paul is trying to build his own brand.
Paul is joining Discraft because they are offering him something that Innova is unwilling to give him.
Innova arguably needs no help with their brand, but Discraft sees the benefit of building on Paul's brand.
Discraft releases a line of McBeth discs, clothing, baskets, bags, carts, design sevices, etc.
They give him access to land to build some signature courses.
I'm not sure they're giving him part ownership, but it's possible.
But my (total) speculation is that they'll enable him to build his brand somehow.
Innova was not going to "partner" with McBeth, but Discraft is a smaller, leaner company and more able to structure and benefit from said partnership.

This makes sense to me, but I'm no business man. Does anyone know where the Discraft rumor started? I mean, I was hearing it within minutes of Innova's announcement. Is this just an internet thing where we all jumped on this random speculation or is there some real meat on this bone?

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that part of his decision to go to Discraft (or wherever he winds up) could stem from them actively wanting to partner with him on course design, land ownership, construction, equipment supply, etc.

Paul made it known that a dream of his is to begin developing championship-level courses and he wants to source some land to do it. If Innova balked at the idea of buying land, landscaping it all, etc.. Perhaps someone else didn't?

Latest posts