• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Red-Hot Memorial Action -or- Who Will Barry Punch Next?

Frank Delicious said:
I don't think you two are on the same page with the word compassion.

Also whenever I miss a putt, I sit down and meditate on it for 5 minutes. Once, when I was putting really bad, I had a round take me 8 hours.

When I miss a putt, I buy a new disc.

Frank Delicious said:
A person can feel bad that Barry broke his hand and think what he did was dumb. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I do realize a person can. Just not this person.

I realize many of his defenders on here disagree with my take and seem rather upset and even hostile towards me because of my view towards the situation.

I'm not saying I'm a better person than anyone else. But I tend to call them the way I seem them. I've played this game for many years as well as other sports and have seen players lose their composure many, many times. They only hurt themselves. Rarely, if ever does anger make someone play better. Typically it makes them play far worse. I just find it remarkable that a top tier player like BS that has played this game for so long hasn't conquered such demons by now. I expect this kind of crap from a 21 yr old like Nikko. It's not a good thing but it is foolishness that is common among younger players. Barry on the other hand is in his late 30s and has competed for close to 20 yrs. I would've thought by now he'd be just a little wiser. Then again John McEnroe is in his 50s and still exhibits quite a temper, but I don't know, JM might actually be able to play well in that state. I've yet to witness a DGer play his best while being visibly upset.

roadkill, you must not play with Ziggy (local Ziggy, not Ziggy from these forums) much.

Get him pissed off and it's lights out. Just lights out.

Once he starts bitching about how you should make 100% of everything inside 80 feet, you know he's about to blow the doors off most of the players there. :lol:

Hopefully Care Bare can learn from his injury. I got pissed once in high school and punched a kid so hard I shattered my wrist. I took that as a lesson not to let my temper get to me. You have to take your lessons from those sort of experiences.

roadkill said:
Well, there is an old proverb that says "adversity does not build character, it reveals it." I'd say the "adversity" of a missed putt has revealed Barry's character. And if I can be so bold I believe your adamant defense of Barry's behavior has just revealed yours

If what you saw there was an adamant defense of his behavior, then you missed the part where I explicitly said I wasn't defending his behavior. Perhaps I could have been more clear about that, my apologies.

My point was that everyone's capable of having a bad day (or hour or even a moment), most people do and then put it behind them and go about their business. Not many people decide to change careers because they lost their shit once, so it seemed like an absurd assertion. It still does to me.

Oh, also:

Compassion for those who've lost homes and family members in Haiti and Chile in the recent earthquakes. Compassion for those who've lost their jobs due to the recession. Compassion for those who've been victimized by crime.

I was unclear here as well, I tend to use the terms compassion and empathy interchangeably, albeit inaccurately. I wasn't saying he deserves your pity, I was just saying that it's more difficult to be understanding and forgiving of people's transgressions than it is to deliver snap judgments about their conduct, based mostly on the fact that they're not you. But I will say that, at the very least, I think it's an exercise worth doing.

Barry doesn't need my forgiveness. Barry needs his own forgiveness. He has done nothing to hurt me or wrong me in any way. There is nothing other than maybe be a bad ambassador for the game for an instant that needs forgiveness. I believe it happened on the last hole of the first round so I highly doubt it adversely affected the other players in his group.

They say in the game of golf it is best to have a short memory. Another way of saying it is the only shot that matters is the one you're about to take. There is no usefulness in obsessing about a bad shot on hole 4 when you're playing hole 12. Many players have high expectations of themselves and expect to make 30 foot putts every time. While this is a realistic expectation for a 1000+ rated touring player, being able to mentally overcome your own failings is an attained skill that is worthwhile striving to attain. Apparently this is a work in progress for Barry or a skill that ranks low on his priorities.

I'll shed some personal info on myself to reveal my perspective. I am no longer a young player. I started playing in the 80s and like many on this board was addicted and often played 12-15 rounds a week, had to play every tournament and purchase every new disc that came out. Come tournament day I had high expectations and put lots of pressure on myself to score well.
When I had a fluke rollaway or an unfortunate kick into OB I would come unglued mentally. I never kicked my bag or punched anything or blamed others for my mistakes but I didn't play my best after becoming unhinged.

Well I've aged and matured since those times in the 80s and early 90s. I've sustained many injuries and ailments to the point physically I don't have the distance I did in my 20s. However I play much smarter am more disciplined, play my own game and am able to stay composed much better. Often times in the past 5-10 years I've been competing in Open and been grouped with players much younger than myself that have far superior physical ability. Yet I've beaten many of these guys that can outdrive me by 100 feet. If they had a better mental game that wouldn't happen. I bank on others making poor decisions and even losing their composure at times. I benefit from their meltdowns.

My point is if Barry Schultz can shred course records and consistently be among the highest rated players in the world with all his mental meltdowns, just imagine the caliber of golf he'd be capable of if he could overcome his temper and improve mentally.

Anywayyy...coverage today is much better than on Wednesday. Feldberg looks like he's dialed in. They said Paul McBeth wasn't even planning on playing, he was there playing baseball but Steve Rico backed out due to injury and he took his spot. Never really seen Cale Levieska except in the Discraft videos, but he looks like he's right pec'ing every drive, the guy must be able to crush it.

Cale has a lot of natural athletic ability. He can really huck it. I got to talk to him about throwing before Worlds last year. He's a really nice guy.

Timko said:
Cale has a lot of natural athletic ability. He can really huck it. I got to talk to him about throwing before Worlds last year. He's a really nice guy.
Must..... resist..... I am beginning to wish I paid for this coverage now.

Holy shit, Anthon shot a 41 to take a 3 throw lead, temp rated at 1109.

No doubt. Like the crazy-good round he had this year at the USDGC, Josh can put 18 together like few others. Other familiar names up near the top as well. Looks like Des wasn't messing around, either. Should be a nice final round.

My PC isn't fast enough to play back the video well... I'm getting like 2-5 fps. It's weird cuz the USDGC was smooth as glass. Also that window ends up taking 92-99% cpu...

They've been saying that you'll have to pay. If the coverage of tomorrow is good, it'd probably be worth it to buy the archived stuff, especially if they put it on sale for $10 again.