• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Red-Hot Memorial Action -or- Who Will Barry Punch Next?

By the way, can I pay for the coverage now? And for how long can I watch the archived footage?

ChUcK said:
Barry- 2x World Champ

Nikko- long history of being an on-course douche.

I admit it is a double standard, but what isn't in life? Barry gets the benefit of the doubt in this case.

Talk to some touring players and you'll realize that this was not an isolated event with Barry. I think he's a super nice guy most the time, but has the potential to really go off in frustration at times. In the first year of the Player's Cup he literally grabbed the basket and shook it with enough force that it either bent or moved the anchor underground after he missed a putt. So the double standard has nothing to do with a history of perfect sportsmanship and this being a once in a lifetime thing. I think some of the old guard have somehow earned a lifetime pass on the sportsmanship issue (except Brad Hammock curiously).

The lead card final round is not available live (it's at a different course), it'll be available on archive on Monday, so they have to give people ample time to watch it. I haven't heard anyone mention when or if the archive content will be pulled.

Somebody yesterday was saying that they were having a trouble paying while the live coverage was going on, but as far as I know, you should be able to pay now without a problem.

Timko said:
scoot_er said:
Sure wish we could get that kind of money for Worlds..........currently our entries make up 85% of the payout with the rest coming from the PDGA and basically no CASH coming from sponsors.

Come on Matt. You know the burden of fund raising lies with the host club.

And you must know that system is hella flawed! You guys raise money and pay for the PDGA hotel rooms yet they PDGA takes all the credit at the end. IMO the "PDGA World Championships" should share fundraising with the PDGA being the main one responsible since it is "their" event.

discspeed said:
ChUcK said:
Barry- 2x World Champ

Nikko- long history of being an on-course douche.

I admit it is a double standard, but what isn't in life? Barry gets the benefit of the doubt in this case.

Talk to some touring players and you'll realize that this was not an isolated event with Barry. I think he's a super nice guy most the time, but has the potential to really go off in frustration at times. In the first year of the Player's Cup he literally grabbed the basket and shook it with enough force that it either bent or moved the anchor underground after he missed a putt. So the double standard has nothing to do with a history of perfect sportsmanship and this being a once in a lifetime thing. I think some of the old guard have somehow earned a lifetime pass on the sportsmanship issue (except Brad Hammock curiously).

^^^THIS^^^

There are many crybabies......including Kenny at times...

I got absolutely no sympathy for players (or anyone over the age of 6) who lose their temper and feel the impulsive need to punch, kick, slap or throw something.

I used to lose my temper and destroy stuff and then decided it was foolish, immature and counterproductive.... at the age of 10.

Some people should just grow up. I think it's despicable that grown men act this way and Barry is not alone. I could easily name a dozen other players who are equally childish. I'm just glad that he was the only one hurt. There may even be a small possibility that this consequence may teach BS a lesson... but I'm not betting on it. Maybe he'll just punch with his left hand next time. Moron

I've seen a little bit of bad behavior from big time pros on & off the course, as well, but we have to remember that things are a lot different for them than for most of us. Disc golf for most of us is something fun to do with a few friends & a few brews on a Saturday afternoon. If we play well, fantastic, but if we don't, nothing is hurt but our fragile egos. For them, a missed putt or a bad rollaway may mean the difference between sleeping in a bed or in a backseat of a car next week, or the difference between steak or Cheetos (or nothing) for dinner. I'm not trying to justify unsporting behavior, but try to walk a mile in their shoes before you judge.

veganray said:
I've seen a little bit of bad behavior from big time pros on & off the course, as well, but we have to remember that things are a lot different for them than for most of us. Disc golf for most of us is something fun to do with a few friends & a few brews on a Saturday afternoon. If we play well, fantastic, but if we don't, nothing is hurt but our fragile egos. For them, a missed putt or a bad rollaway may mean the difference between sleeping in a bed or in a backseat of a car next week, or the difference between steak or Cheetos (or nothing) for dinner. I'm not trying to justify unsporting behavior, but try to walk a mile in their shoes before you judge.

But do you act like a dick at your job when things go wrong?

scoot_er said:
Timko said:
scoot_er said:
Sure wish we could get that kind of money for Worlds..........currently our entries make up 85% of the payout with the rest coming from the PDGA and basically no CASH coming from sponsors.

Come on Matt. You know the burden of fund raising lies with the host club.

And you must know that system is hella flawed! You guys raise money and pay for the PDGA hotel rooms yet they PDGA takes all the credit at the end. IMO the "PDGA World Championships" should share fundraising with the PDGA being the main one responsible since it is "their" event.

I totally agree. The PDGA is asking a host city to have some fund raising people who are devoted enough to the game with either 1.) no job, 2.) a high paying job without a large time commitment or 3.) someone willing to work for "free" on top of their normal job. That simply doesn't make any sense. I want to see the pro purse (which I don't compete for) go up at Worlds, but I'm not willing to work 20-30 extra hours a week for free to see that happen.

veganray said:

We all have to live by the consequences of our decisions. Barry has experience as a plastics engineer and could make a decent living doing that and play disc golf on the weekends like 99% of us do. However it was his choice to compete in disc golf full time and live on cheetos, cup of ramen or steak based upon his performance and/or luck at disc golf tournaments. He missed a putt and had a tantrum based on his own failure to execute. And c'mon he was in a tie for the lead in one of the richest events of the year he really wasn't having a bad day.

Right now I'm sitting 1500 miles away from home not making any money at all because of a failure in proper planning by others in the company for who I'm employed. Their failure is likely to cost me around $500-600 in lost income. You think I punched a wall, kicked a tire or went into a profanity laced tirade? That fact is no, I didn't because I'm mature enough to realize stuff often hits the fan and it comes with the territory. If I don't like it I can choose another employer or choose another career but for now it is what I signed up for, I take the good with the bad.

veganray said:
Yeah, that's no excuse, man. It's just embarrassing and childish, we all have stuff we care a lot about, but we don't walk around throwing tantrums when things don't go our way (hopefully.)

Losing your composure isn't the mark of a bad or immature person.

Regaining your composure is what sets apart the men from the boys.

Unfortunately, Barry wasn't afforded the luxury of showing that he could easily regain his composure in this case.

I'm not goin for any rides on the high horse over this event. Taking a break from the usual outrage that seems to drive interest in the organized levels of dg. Just for today. I'm gonna say these are normal and good folks who would change a decision if they could, and I hope they all continue for a good season. Is that so hard, outraged outragers?

victorb said:
Losing your composure isn't the mark of a bad or immature person.

Having a temper tantrum in which you punch an inanimate object which had absolutely nothing to do with your situation is about the most obvious evidence of an immature person as does exist.

roadkill said:
We all have to live by the consequences of our decisions. Barry has experience as a plastics engineer and could make a decent living doing that and play disc golf on the weekends like 99% of us do. However it was his choice to compete in disc golf full time and live on cheetos, cup of ramen or steak based upon his performance and/or luck at disc golf tournaments. He missed a putt and had a tantrum based on his own failure to execute. And c'mon he was in a tie for the lead in one of the richest events of the year he really wasn't having a bad day.

Right now I'm sitting 1500 miles away from home not making any money at all because of a failure in proper planning by others in the company for who I'm employed. Their failure is likely to cost me around $500-600 in lost income. You think I punched a wall, kicked a tire or went into a profanity laced tirade? That fact is no, I didn't because I'm mature enough to realize stuff often hits the fan and it comes with the territory. If I don't like it I can choose another employer or choose another career but for now it is what I signed up for, I take the good with the bad.

1. Why is it his choice to play disc golf for a living, but not his choice decide to punch his mini? Why does he have to decide between meeting your standards for composure and doing plastics engineering?

2. Now that shit has hit the fan for you, why is it your choice to choose another employer or career, but not your choice to express anger or frustration with the situation? What could you "sign up for" that didn't have good and bad? Doesn't it seem kind of absurd to make an ultimatum between never expressing anger or frustration, and finding a whole new job or career?

Like it's been said above, I'm not advocating in favor of mini-punching, at least metal ones, and it's super great that you've been in complete control of your temper since you were ten years old. But not everyone's you, ya know, and not everyone's as good at holding their shit together 100% of the time. Maybe you could cut folks some slack?