• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rock Hill, SC area??

throwfromthewoods

Double Eagle Member
So, the economic climate in Upstate, NY is going to dictate a move for my family. The job market just isn't here anymore, and I have more education and experience than a $14 an hour job dictates. When looking down the East Coast at places that have decent cost of living, a generally nice place to raise a child (currently have a one-year old with plans for another), and job opportunities; Rock Hill, SC came up.

What I want to know is, what is the DG scene like in that area? I looked up the city on the course search, but there was only one that came up over 3/5 rating. I don't want to seem like my priorities are out of whack, but if I'm going to move us away from all our friends and family, we need our favorite hobby (wife plays too) to prevent me from going all Jack Nicholson on my family.

Rock Hill is a great area for disc golf. You get the USDGC in town every year and you're right outside Charlotte and its multitude of courses.

Rock Hill is 20 min from Renny Gold and other south Charlotte courses as well.

Outside of Winthrop, Rock Hill has a pretty cool 18 hole course - Boyd Hill.

You'll be closer to some charlotte courses than some people living in charlotte.

Renny, Winget, RL Smith are easily accessible, while Winthrop is a great place to play. You'll also be around tons of PDGAs. I think you'll do ok!

Being just about a Charlotte suburb, it's among the top disc golf locations anywhere. In fact, as soon as you move there you get to start boasting that it is THE top disc golf location anywhere.

im in the thick of it all :)
renny
winget
elon
tizrah
york high
boyd hill
fewell
kilborne
east way
bradley
winthrop
rl smith
sugaw
and many more!

Rock Hill is the location for Innova East and the USDGC.

Charlotte is the location for the 2012 Pro/Am Worlds.

Between the two is a little place called Fort Mill, SC.

If you enjoy playing disc golf, make the move.

House values are good for purchase, but don't look for much return on investment in the coming years... It'll be a slow go in Rock Hill. Fort Mill has more promise. They also have better schools.

Winthrop Lakefront is a great home course. Boyd is also a good course, but you don't need to go far to play awesome courses any day... plus tournaments in every direction. Less than 2 hours to Columbia, Greenville/Easley/Spartanburg, High Point, Burlington. 2.5-3 hours to Raleigh/Durham, Asheville, Augusta, Charleston. 4 hours to Savannah, Atlanta, Wilmington, Richmond.

if you make the move hit me up.. im over near Clemson so its a nice lil drive but more then happy to get up and play.. and i know several others on here are right outside that area..

Whatever you do don't move to rock hill. The city has gone downhill in recent years. The local club is just getting started again and the courses are either pitch and putts or in dangerous locations except for winthrop which is a boring course because it is wide open. A better option would be to look at Gastonia, NC.

Also the economic climate in Rock Hill is pitiful. You will have a hard time finding a $14 an hour job in Rock Hill.

gastonia is ghetto yo

Yeah, whatever...

To the OP, I personally wouldn't want to live in Rock Hill proper for any reason, but there are lots of good areas all around the greater Charlotte area, including parts of Gastonia.

I live in Charlotte. Have spent plenty of time in Rock Hill and I'm not sure I would want to live there. Ft Mill, or Harrisburg or surrounding areas to Charlotte are good, I love living in Charlotte but the taxes are no joke :wall: Plus side - Disc golf courses everywhere.

Yeah man, like others said, you are "randomly picking" about as good of a place as you could disc-wise. I've visited a few times and have played maybe 10 of the local courses, and all but Boyd Hill left me wanting more. From what I understand most of the courses have the same designer, which I've usually found to lead to redundancy, but a lot of the holes in the area are just so damn exciting! Have fun down there, I'm jealous.

Pick where you live for the JOB not the Golf. That being said come on down and enjoy the greatness. @Jack I like how you said parts of Gashouse! Some of Gastonia is Sketchy even during the day! Hows that married life treating ya?

The O.P. mentioned job opportunities so I presume he's got some info there.

Is Rock Hill a good place to live? I dunno but, in my travels, it seems like most towns of any size have at least some good places to live, depending on what you're looking for.

The important thing I gather from the O.P. is that he doesn't want to end up in a disc golf wasteland, and this thread should assure him that's not.

Ha, yes, I wouldn't be just up and moving to a DG-area just because I want to throw there. The wife and I had been looking at the Carolinas for some time. Wanted a place far enough inland to not worry greatly about hurricane season, still had close enough access to the beach, as well as some nice camping, still have real seasons, etc. And I wouldn't be moving there without a job already set.

Thanks all for the input!