• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

so then Climo says...

they should start replacing the roped off sections with lava or moats full of alligators.

Climo is a jackass. I will never forgive him for how he acted in the Majestic towards Cale.

At the same time I completely agree with him. Wide rimmed drivers and course pest infestation (ie "growth of the sport") have fundamentally changed the game. It was better before you all started playing. If I could press a button and make disc golf regress to how it was in 98' I would in a heartbeat.

The funny thing is that my dad feels the same way about my generation of players. He wishes we could go back to before the cyclone was pressed. I'm betting all of you guys will feel the same way in ten years, when you are all left in the dust because real athletes decide to start playing disc golf.

I don't know what Climo did at the Majestic, but he's a class act in my book. Came way out of his way at Worlds this year to sign a few discs for me and my daughter mid round, when he was jogging between holes to catch up with someone.

As for the state of the game, everything is always better in its infancy when it comes to sports. However, I think DG is still in a good place. In another 15 years, every course will be packed with players, which is not going to be nearly as fun. Nothing better than to go play a round with a good friend and have the whole course to yourself, listening to the sounds of nature instead of some dipsh$t yelling and screaming.

Oh no, I'm sounding like one of those old guys LOL!

Tim S.

Last edited:
Wow, there really is a passing of the guard going on here. Tim Tebow references are quickly replacing Chuck Norris ones.

As for OBs, I definitely hate them on longer holes. There is a point on 450+ holes where there are too many factors that prevent consistent pin-point accuracy, especially if both accuracy and distance is a requirement. I am sure there are more than a handful of players who can hit their lines on such holes, but the bigger the crush, the less consistent the actual landings are going to be. Wind, temperature, elevation (not that this would change on a particular hole, but would change from course to course), fatigue and such make such pin-point difficult at best. Having OB ranging around 400 is just cruel, especially if lay-ups and other strategic throws do not improve the situation much.

For example, Hidden Lake (MN) has a hole where you will spend 300 feet over the water. The tee is 100 feet off the lake, so you still have 300 feet to clear if you layup, or you have to make 400 feet to drive it. If the shore was clear, that would be one thing, but the entire shoreline except for one gap looking at the basket is lined with thin but an almost inpenetrable line of trees. You can try to come up short by penetrating the shoreline on the right if you cannot make all 400 feet, but that is a horrible risk if you cannot make the disc turn right and or clip a tree. A natural fade is only going to carry you deeper into the lake. Basically you need a laser shot to go 400+ feet, hope your disc behaves as it should because you are driving from a little elevation, and then hope again you do not clip a tree and kick back into the lake if you have a less than perfect drive. I am sure KC would not like this hole.

If there was an alternate landing site, a different gap in the woods one could aim for if they do not feel the conditions are right to hit that gap at 400 feet, than this hole would not be so bad.

There is a hole at Highbridge (Gold #17 I think). That is very much like this except it is all manmade OB (mowed grass versus wild grass). The difference is that this pear shaped landing area actually favors those you can drive further. Those in the 330-350 feet ability are going to have a tough time making this narrow strip of land. I do not remember there being anything in bounds short of 300 feet. We were playing team best shot at this point with mulligans. We still had people carding double digits because of OB penalties and forcing to retee because they were never in bounds.

OB is great as long as it forces you to play golf. The very second it is there only to punish and to create a scoring spread in a tournament, then there is something wrong.

Climo is a jackass. I will never forgive him for how he acted in the Majestic towards Cale.

At the same time I completely agree with him. Wide rimmed drivers and course pest infestation (ie "growth of the sport") have fundamentally changed the game. It was better before you all started playing. If I could press a button and make disc golf regress to how it was in 98' I would in a heartbeat.

The funny thing is that my dad feels the same way about my generation of players. He wishes we could go back to before the cyclone was pressed. I'm betting all of you guys will feel the same way in ten years, when you are all left in the dust because real athletes decide to start playing disc golf.

Speaking of jackass......

I don't know what Climo did at the Majestic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRyG7QXVqns

Watch that video, then watch Cale running around everywhere celebrating. Then watch Cale throw his putter to the ground in all the excitement (0:54). Climo tried his best for the rest of the tournament to stroke Cale for that. After the TD denied him that, he went and complained to the Marshall. After he was denied again, he still wouldn't quit and argued his point that Cale should have been stroked until everyone left. Basically acted like a little bitch.

Other than that one incident, I will agree that Climo seems like a cool guy. I've talked to him a bunch at worlds in 2010 and spoke to they guy caddying for him and heard nothing but great things about him.

Thank you for mentioning it.
I lost all respect for his demeanor and attitude after that BS.

Imagine if the world saw how you treated your work's secretary, or that poor girl at starbucks who forgot your creamer.

Every single living soul on this planet has been an ass.

Ask your friends.

Imagine if the world saw how you treated your work's secretary, or that poor girl at starbucks who forgot your creamer.

Every single living soul on this planet has been an ass.

Ask your friends.

Exactly. A single event (or even several) have far less to do with determining the types of people we are versus our repeated behavior and overall demeanor and treatment of others. It sure seems that there are an exponentially larger number of tales of Climo's generosity and friendliness than there are of the contrary. I would venture that it's unfair for anyone to completely judge him based on that one incident (when he clearly felt he had a point to make whether his way of doing so was fair or not).

I have not heard the glowing reviews of Climo that all of you are reporting. In my experience with him he treats you like garbage if you don't act like he poops gold nuggets.

... all of you guys will feel the same way in ten years, when you are all left in the dust because real athletes decide to start playing disc golf.

I'm not worried - they'll probably all have cr@ppy form anyway :D

better athletes playing disc golf.. bah. top athletes will never get in to disc golf unless the pay days are in the millions.

better athletes playing disc golf.. bah. top athletes will never get in to disc golf unless the pay days are in the millions.

i'd love to watch a dozen of your "top athletes" come to cliff stevens and get their butts handed to them by kc.

i'd love to watch a dozen of your "top athletes" come to cliff stevens and get their butts handed to them by kc.

Hehe, if Roy Halladay played disc golf his entire life you wouldn't be so cocksure. Actually, I bet Pedro Martinez would be the best disc golfer. Freakish arm length and hand size.

Totally agree with Bill's sentiment above.
I'm willing to forgive the one incident.
Totally agree with what he says about artificial OB being more randomly punitive than Risk/Reward. I see too many courses where the design creates scoring spread on holes by luck/chance instead of by Risk/Reward and skill. Make me choose, make me "hit a line", but keep it honest.

On the question of "Climo's era", we always judge past hero's by how they competed in their own time.
In 1927, when Babe Ruth hit his 60 HR's, that was 1/7 of all the homers in the AL. Think of it; Babe hit 1 out of every 7 homers in the American League. In 2001, when Barry Bonds hit 71 HR's, it was 1 in 40. Not trying to get into a Babe vs Barry argument.
Barry was a better athelete, regardless of the reason; but Babe's impact on the game was greater because of his era and his influence on future players.
Climo is a giant because of what he accomplished in his time, his utter dominance. That kind of dominant record will never be matched, not just becasue the competition is tougher, but because there won't be another Climo.

Last edited:
Climo was once asked if he was the Tiger Woods of disc golf (ummmm, before all the carp with his mistresses). His reply was no, he was the Jack Nicklaus, because he's still the one with the records.

I agree with Climo and applaud him for being a d1ck on Ulibarris FB page. Listening to all those whiny younger pros at an A tier last year made me lose a ton of respect for them. I notice this about many of them.....All they want to do is throw 1 shot....a hyzer. If there is no hyzer line it's somehow an unfair hole or unrealistic.
Talented yes.....but none of them come close to Climo

I'll venture to say that water is a natural OB, as opposed to the man made barriers or just calling a sidewalk OB. Of course, parking lots, roads, playgrounds, etc... all get marked as OB. For instance, ball golf courses use artificial OB unnecessarily. Why are the bunkers and greens OB? If a barrier is needed plant a frikkin' tree or 2!!

Greens are OB because of the damage a disc could potentially do to the green. Sand traps are probably OB because disc golfers won't rake them out.

It was pretty dickish but I have seen players in lesser tourneys get stroked for dropping their disc on top of their bag.

You don't let go of your disc during a tourney because you never know how anal the other players in your group are. It's like stepping over your mark in side the circle. Some don't care & some will call you on it.

Not tossing or dropping your disc in a tournament round was the first rule I was told to always abide by.

I believe the reason he wasn't stroked was that he hit that shot on the last hole and the round was over. But if you go by strict interpretations of the rules you don't ever throw your disc without it counting as a stroke.

It also may be an old timers thing. The newer players don't seem to care about it as much. I equate it to how traveling is not called in the NBA anymore.

As far as Climo the player and his impact n the sport there are no other comparasons. The reason so many courses have 400'+ par 3's is because he was reaching the old course long par 3's with ease. He changed the length of course design.

Latest posts