• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Rumble 2019 presented by Discraft and Clint's Draft House

You think McBeth takes 4' steps??????????? (Oh, I didn't read on to see the further discussion about this. Long time ball golfer, had my strides pretty close to 3'...PM is about the same height...a 4' stride is really long for someone 5'8"ish).
I think he is *there.* I know his general walking stride is shorter than what we see there - but it doesn't take too much in terms of a purposeful stride to get to a 4' stride. Teaching orienteering I kept a consistent walking pace by feel - stretch before an activity, and then focus on how my hips felt at each step to keep it consistent. At 5'10 with short legs for my height - a comfortable step was 3'4.5" per. I'd say Paul had about 3 strides there that were that short or shorter out of 9, and he didn't take the last step to the pole.

Overall - I'm just amused by it. I do think that it messes with putting statistics. I know that last year at GBO Austin Hannum had absolutely no idea how far he was from the basket and was just killing it putting, so its not like I'm pointing out something that impedes putting ability. He shot a 1039 that round. But all round he was telling people to mark 0-11' into UDiscLive for putts that were 15-18'. Considering how often I see it at tournaments all the time - I don't think our top pros are necessarily any better at judging actual distance than the average person, they are however about seventeen bazillion times better at judging relative distance and application of relative distance in putting.

Overall - I'm just amused by it. I do think that it messes with putting statistics.

Isn't a prerequisite of using uDisc for score/stat keeping (at least for a tournament, obviously not for individual use) to have C1 and C2 marked clearly, and presumably accurately, on each hole? I have only watched a few holes of the first round, but I absolutely saw painted lines as Steve says. The hole that it jumped out at me on was 19 because of the tiny slip of "fairway". I thought the arcs of paint running the 15-20 feet from wood line to water line were kinda funny.

Isn't a prerequisite of using uDisc for score/stat keeping (at least for a tournament, obviously not for individual use) to have C1 and C2 marked clearly, and presumably accurately, on each hole? I have only watched a few holes of the first round, but I absolutely saw painted lines as Steve says. The hole that it jumped out at me on was 19 because of the tiny slip of "fairway". I thought the arcs of paint running the 15-20 feet from wood line to water line were kinda funny.
I definitely saw lines in the video, and the one you described did stand out to me - but I also noted a number of putts from the woods where the lines didn't exist. It looked to me, and this is just from video perspective, but it looked like they didn't paint into the woods. With Paul on top of that schule on the small green on that hole, it looked like it wasn't marked there.

I'd like to see them mark that C1X line at 11' that they use in the app. I feel like you'd get just as many people wondering at how far away from the basket 11' is as you do people amazed at how close to the basket 33' is.

The real question is, does your stride length equate to your hand size? Then we could look at Paul's hands and know how long his... stride is.

Performance tracks for The Rumble 2019 presented by Discraft and Clint's Draft House.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Rumble2019PTs.jpg
    Rumble2019PTs.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 214
I can't believe so many people are loving the commentary, I could barely make to the end.

I don't know if Paul was playing some kind of inside joke, or if he actually says "right there" at the end of every statement.

I am ready for some Big Sexy commentary for the GBO.

MA1 used the short pads. Quite a difference

MA1 played one round from the longs and one from the shorts. The round from the longs didn't use long 5 and 12 because of concerns from the PDGA regarding looking for discs in the long grass.

They'll need Big Sexy to make watching those courses bearable.

Yeah, it will not be contested on the most amazing or beautiful course. The course is however a challenge and fair. The amount of OB is what makes it the biggest challenge.

It will be interesting to see what effect the changes have on the scores. Hole 16 is pretty rad. It is always awesome to see who goes for the island and who lays up. The drop zone is pretty easy and basically a standard 4 for any of the top guys, so most will gun for it. I did see a video of Eagle parking the new hole 18. It would be fantastic to see him pull that shot out the last round to go for the W.

Yeah, it will not be contested on the most amazing or beautiful course. The course is however a challenge and fair. The amount of OB is what makes it the biggest challenge.

It will be interesting to see what effect the changes have on the scores. Hole 16 is pretty rad. It is always awesome to see who goes for the island and who lays up. The drop zone is pretty easy and basically a standard 4 for any of the top guys, so most will gun for it. I did see a video of Eagle parking the new hole 18. It would be fantastic to see him pull that shot out the last round to go for the W.

Rad? LMAO. Didn't realize anyone still said rad.

Lawdy hath merthy

Whoever designed that course is a sadist.

Yes it is a blast to play. However, it is the only course I won't play by myself. If I'm facing a headwind on one of those water holes, getting wobbly knees and a little shrinkage, it's way more entertaining when you know it's affecting the others on the card as well. Supreme test of mentally challenging placement golf. It's a huge course but a big arm only helps in a few spots...if you can't be smart about picking your spots, that big arm will kill your round out there, seen it many times.

I've only watched the first half of round 1, but one hole stood out to me as ridiculous. I think it was 19. The players were throwing across the water to a very thin strip of grass (less than 20 feet wide) bordered on one side by thick trees and brush and the other by water. Castro had the "best" drive in that he was in circle 1, but his putt was completely obstructed despite being less than 20 feet from the basket. I don't generally have a problem with obstacles like that in the circle, but having that there and an equal portion of the circle on the other side of the basket be water is bad. UDisc says the scoring average on that hole in round 1 was 3.88 (par 3)...most difficult hole of the day. Can't say I'm surprised.

This hole 19 has a bailout zone the entire length of the fairway, fair distance for almost any rating of player. Throw from long tee to the short tee is only about 180 ft, so you have a choice of easy midrange layup, or go for the pin, or anything in between. It's part of the mental challenge to choose how much of that distance you want to bite off. Excellent design in my opinion.

The problem is really the brush. This park is notorious for staff resisting any efforts by volunteers to clear out that brush. It's all invasive species too {eyeroll}. If staff turns over to people who are more friendly toward disc golf, hopefully the local club will eventually get permission to clear all the low brush starting about 50ft short of the pin so that shots into the woods are penalized but still playable. Clearing the undergrowth brush back to 15-20 ft into the woods is all it would take to really make this hole fantastic. The trees that would remain will make for very scary putts through tight lines toward the water, instead of just pitching out sideways for a putt.

This hole 19 has a bailout zone the entire length of the fairway, fair distance for almost any rating of player. Throw from long tee to the short tee is only about 180 ft, so you have a choice of easy midrange layup, or go for the pin, or anything in between. It's part of the mental challenge to choose how much of that distance you want to bite off. Excellent design in my opinion.

The problem is really the brush. This park is notorious for staff resisting any efforts by volunteers to clear out that brush. It's all invasive species too {eyeroll}. If staff turns over to people who are more friendly toward disc golf, hopefully the local club will eventually get permission to clear all the low brush starting about 50ft short of the pin so that shots into the woods are penalized but still playable. Clearing the undergrowth brush back to 15-20 ft into the woods is all it would take to really make this hole fantastic. The trees that would remain will make for very scary putts through tight lines toward the water, instead of just pitching out sideways for a putt.

I think that the theory behind the hole is interesting design. I understood that there was a bailout option. I guess since I brought it up in the context of talking about water hazards, maybe my critique seemed to be about the water carry. That wasn't my intent. The brush IS the problem. Because even if the throw is shorter, the bailout areas have the same issue as the green area...teeny tiny landing zone that allows for a reasonable approach to the basket. Until the brush line is pushed back at least another 15-20 feet, I can't call that an "excellent" hole or even a good hole. The design theory is sound...it's just not finished.

Until the brush line is pushed back at least another 15-20 feet, I can't call that an "excellent" hole or even a good hole. The design theory is sound...it's just not finished.

Exactly! I'm hoping the rangers will let that happen. They are draining the lake for a restoration project this summer. Maybe some invasive species removal will be allowed as a sideline volunteer project. They did allow volunteers to go out with hand tools to clear some stuff before the tournament, so they might be loosening their iron grip a little bit. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts