• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] THEORY Midrange by Axiom Discs

I barely used my theory until this last week and am glad I did, because it got a good amount of use on holes where I would need to power up on my Envy or Atom too much to be consistent. Truthfully I didn't like the Theory very much at first and have flipped my script.

I should mail one of you guys my tangent, its just sitting in the trunk box right now. Used it for about a year but its still in great shape....

my throwers :D (I colored the gold& silver not foils)

20150217_115819.jpg

I finally got a Theory and before I even throw it something is off. The white core feels the same as every white neutron core but the overmold feels weird. Like a GI Joe or a Dodge door handle. Hard and shiny. Cheap feeling. Not a big deal but different.

Just so ya know, the overmold plastic is different from the core on every disc MVP/Axiom makes, any plastic. It would be great to have Neutron overmold with Neutron core, and Proton with Proton, etc but for some reason they're not doing it. The overmolds are pretty durable though, so don't expect any problems.

^They are made up of the same plastic in order for them to bond properly. Proton and Neutron are the same with different coloring agents. Read all that crap somewhere on here in an interview with the Bros.

^They are made up of the same plastic in order for them to bond properly. Proton and Neutron are the same with different coloring agents. Read all that crap somewhere on here in an interview with the Bros.

R U saying the overmold and core are same plastic? They're both plastic, but the similarity ends there.

This isn't my first rodeo.

Well, I've noticed the OM on mids and putters is not the same as on drivers, not as hard. And then you now have a very soft and grippy OM on the Electron Atom, which is different altogether from the other 2.

The core and the overmold are similar plastic. Polyurethane or polyethylene or polycarbonate. Whatever. But the rim has junk in it to make it heavier. So even my lightest driver has a satin feel to the rim. Not so this theory. I'm gonna go throw it under the street lights and see what happens.

They're in the same polymer family, but with a weighting agent in the rim.

Of course, but aside from the weighting agent you've got a bunch of different additives in the cores that aren't used in the overmold...urethane, resins, flex, coloring agents, etc.

It's been said that the cores and the rims at the same plastic just with weighting agent and color being the difference. You can find it on here someplace, maybe the qna

The core and the overmold are similar plastic. Polyurethane or polyethylene or polycarbonate. Whatever. But the rim has junk in it to make it heavier. So even my lightest driver has a satin feel to the rim. Not so this theory. I'm gonna go throw it under the street lights and see what happens.

I agree the theory rim plastic doesn't feel quite the same as my other Neutron Mids.

I also think that the core plastic on my skullboy neutron theory is quite a bit harder than my other Neutron Mids. Maybe this is why the Rim is also harder or less grippy.

Not sure what the deal with that it is but I still like the theory just the same and it doesn't bother me when throwing it.

I kind of think its got like a surface layer on it that is going to wear off once I'm throwing this puppy more in the warmer weather and that it will end up feeling the same as my other mids and as a side effect of that transition get a lot more flippy.

Right now the Theory is not as flippy as my nearly brand new 750 M4s and I know that AIM and Mike C are throwing much more flippy versions of the disc.

no, we just throw it harder I would bet lol. All of the Theories I've had were very durable N plastic and stiff. Light weight vs heavy have a little more carry but there are not any OS theorys im aware of nor are their flippy ones. Its controllably understable.

Ummm, who grips the rim of the Theory to throw it? I don't get how that would work. Not trying to be snarky, I'm actually curious if this is a type of grip that I'm missing.

no, we just throw it harder I would bet lol. All of the Theories I've had were very durable N plastic and stiff. Light weight vs heavy have a little more carry but there are not any OS theorys im aware of nor are their flippy ones. Its controllably understable.

I'm throwing it pretty hard ;) and from what I saw on Mike C video, he was getting more turn than me on 250 footers than I'm getting on 300+ foot shots.

I bought one of the reduced price Skullboy's from CommunityDiscs. It's a lot harder plastic than my other neutrons. I actually didn't throw it in the last round I played in the extreme cold because I was worried about hitting a tree with it after what happened to my Volts rim.

----

Re: Zendragon,

I'm not gripping the rim when throwing, I meant it feels different (less grippy was the only way I thought I could explain it) if you are just examining the rims between lets say the Theory and my brand new Neutron Tensor. The theory has a much harder core and rim is kind of smoother?

---

Like I said I kind of suspect it has a more protective outer layer that will eventually wear off and it will again feel like a "regular" neutron.

For whatever it's worth, I picked up one of those Skullboy Theories from Community, too, and don't really notice a difference from stock Neutron. The core is maybe on the stiff side, but I have stock discs that feel the same in hand. Of course, it's 75 in New Orleans right now; maybe the difference stands out in colder temps.

Haven't spent much time with the Theory yet, but from the work I've gotten in with it I've been pretty shocked at how controllable its understability is. I've had it fade out on a number of shots because I overestimated how much it would turn. This is a good thing - it seems quite reliable relative to its stability.

The other thing that I noticed was that it felt a bit faster than the Tangent. I know it's the same core, but the Theory is shallower, so perhaps that accounts for it? It just seems to have more speed than I expected it too.

Very intrigued by this disc. I think it could give the Tangents a run for their money. Comparing the two, the Tangents seem to have more lateral motion than the Theory - maybe that's because the Theory has less fade but not a ton more turn, so it's been easier for me to throw it dead straight. It reminds me of a slower Inspire, which is another disc that I still expect to be less stable than it is at times. This is a great addition to the MVP/Axiom lineup for sure.

I would disagree in that what sets the theory and tangent apart the most is the high speed turn and glide. The beaded design of the tangent keeps it from flipping over as hard and moving as much on a line line the glidey theory. Not sure why people are seeing such a "straight" flight out of it in general although its a very easy line to hit with the theory.