• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] THEORY Midrange by Axiom Discs

Killed it with theory this past weekend and threw my personal best shot ever on Hole #15 at The Valley DGC.

Huge 325'-350' tight anny that landed pin high left of the basket. Its basically a sideways L you have to shape. SO many great shots with this disc since being released its getting stupid.

9178c65b.jpg

741ce682.jpg

also laser beamed a 250 footer right up under the basket just a few holes before at #12--

73d701fd.jpg

fd1d947e.jpg

Last edited:
Theoryyyy!
Two basket hits on some nice turnover lines in the past few days and a number more of ace runs. This disc just knows where to go.

I'm at one chain out so far with the Theory.
Super straight tunnel, slight hyzerflip that slowly rode to the right, hit a ton of chains.

As long as we are posting pictures . . .

Seneca Creek #13 requires a controlled 280-300' slightly downhill, slightly right-turning drive to land at the dogleg. Any fade is trouble because the fairway slopes left towards the OB creek. Throwing long is trouble because the creek wraps around the dogleg. Turning too early is trouble because you are in the woods with no look around the dogleg.

My 162 Z Comet used to do this shot beautifully, just throw it flat over the creek and it would drift right and land flat. Fuse was trickier - sometimes it would turn too much, sometimes it would fade late and skip OB, and occasionally it would keep going straight and fly long into the creek.

Theory handles this shot perfectly. Theory does not have crazy glide like a Comet, but Theory is much more forgiving of form flaws. Overall, Theory is the most controllable understable midrange I have thrown.

84fbbf0c.jpg

Last edited:
^Great hole. Been able to play Seneca twice now, a lot of tough shots in the longer layout(s).

Yes, definitely more fun when baskets are long (as most are at the moment). Give me a shout if you make it up this way again!

Yes, definitely more fun when baskets are long (as most are at the moment). Give me a shout if you make it up this way again!

Will do. Got family in DC, sister who just had twins, so I'll be up that way sooner rather than later, watch what you wish for!! ;)

I have been messing around with a Theory for a month or so. I accidentally grabbed it for a FH shot and made a perfect approach to the basket. It just gently floated up add gently faded right where it was supoosed to land. Why do we care you ask? Because I am widely known to have the worst FH in NC, and I can wrist roll a XXX right into the ground. I have thrown the Theory a few more times with a FH and it seems to do really well. For those that actualy have some good FH skill it is worth toying with to see what you can do. It seems to go dead straight for me with almost no fade. I can turn it over on purpose, but no with a normal gentle throw.

I have used it forehand in situations where I am stuck in the left bushes and need a R to L glide from out of there.

I have been messing around with a Theory for a month or so. I accidentally grabbed it for a FH shot and made a perfect approach to the basket. It just gently floated up add gently faded right where it was supoosed to land. Why do we care you ask? Because I am widely known to have the worst FH in NC, and I can wrist roll a XXX right into the ground. I have thrown the Theory a few more times with a FH and it seems to do really well. For those that actualy have some good FH skill it is worth toying with to see what you can do. It seems to go dead straight for me with almost no fade. I can turn it over on purpose, but no with a normal gentle throw.

I don't know if I have ever thrown a theory with a FH. Always rely on something a little more OS for similar reasons you mention but the disc is oddly forgiving while still being able to fly US lines. Its truly IMO an easier to throw, comet. Going to have to try some FH shots out I guess!

My two Theory tee shots,

51c307e8.jpg

6a8f1442.jpg

Thanks to Qikly for the great photos. I hope he gets to do the rest of our courses.

Thanks for the shout out, PMantle. You bet! I need to come back to play the Gold course and would be curious to try the Louisiana College DGC, too.

While we're on the subject, let me know if you ever head down to play the New Orleans area courses. There's nothing quite at the level of Ft. Buhlow, but the new City Park layout has some quality for sure. Or perhaps we can meet in the middle for a round in Baton Rouge or the new Bogue Chitto course in Franklinton.

I threw a thumber on that first shot, but the second hole is perfect for an understable mid (I threw a very beat in Tangent). That front 9 is a sweet stretch of holes.

I have a Theory on its way myself (Skullboy stamp, got a great deal from Community Discs), so I'm looking forward to trying it out. Going to toy with the Proxy, Tangent, and Theory to see what works best. I imagine I'll opt for two out of the three, but you never know.

While we're on the subject, let me know if you ever head down to play the New Orleans area courses. There's nothing quite at the level of Ft. Buhlow, but the new City Park layout has some quality for sure. Or perhaps we can meet in the middle for a round in Baton Rouge or the new Bogue Chitto course in Franklinton.
I am down for the meet in the middle deal. I'll let you know when I or we are planning a trip. About to start fishing heavy though.

I have used it forehand in situations where I am stuck in the left bushes and need a R to L glide from out of there.

^^^ Yep. Easier to throw a FH anny approach with Theory versus a beaded putter. Theory is understae but I get a clean FH release. Not my first choice for FH, of course.

I have a Theory on its way myself (Skullboy stamp, got a great deal from Community Discs), so I'm looking forward to trying it out. Going to toy with the Proxy, Tangent, and Theory to see what works best. I imagine I'll opt for two out of the three, but you never know.

:hfive: I also thought I would settle on theory vs tangent but after taking a tangent out of the bag and trying to get by without one I've found they work together pretty well. Could see the proxy fighting with a tangent though given how you use that disc. Curious to hear what end up in the bag!

I am down for the meet in the middle deal. I'll let you know when I or we are planning a trip. About to start fishing heavy though.

Deal! Just let me know when.

:hfive: I also thought I would settle on theory vs tangent but after taking a tangent out of the bag and trying to get by without one I've found they work together pretty well. Could see the proxy fighting with a tangent though given how you use that disc. Curious to hear what end up in the bag!

My initial impression was that the Proxy was going to take the Tangent's role and make the Tangent redundant, but I've been testing this out lately and seeing more and more of a distinction between the two. To my mind and arm, the Proxy wants to be thrown hard (for a putter) and ride dead straight or on a slight, gentle hyzer in tight quarters where I need to avoid high speed turn. It seems to have a pretty hard distance cap on these kind of lines: I'm not going to stretch it out to 250' if I can't put the necessary height on it. Whereas the Tangent is much more of a finesse disc and way more versatile: it can burn you if you throw it wrong in a way that seems less likely with the Proxy, but its got this unreal float to it and gentle fade that enables it to pull of some unique shots. I think I'd lose a lot if I got rid of it.

I have a few lines that I'm hoping the Theory will fly on more effectively than the Tangent, but more than that I'm just curious to see how it fits into the mix. I don't usually make big changes to the bag like this until I take the setup out on a road trip: playing a set of new courses back to back gives me perspective on the line up that I can't otherwise get. June should be a good disc golf month for me, so I'll probably carry the three in my bag until then and try testing them out in as many situations as I can find.