• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] THEORY Midrange by Axiom Discs

sunday at kenwood sounds cool, ill bring my theory. who are all these people coming? andy jb and in4d and bigsky and stuff?

We're a group of peeps who change courses every Sunday. Called the mediocres. This Sunday is Kenwood. Usually between 10-16 people.
it'd be awesome if we could organize a group dgcr get together.

Community traveling theory anyone?

Hey guys,

Please keep this thread on topic. If you're suggesting a get together just make a new thread in the Meets forum and direct people there.

Well I got in the field today with the Theory and a couple other discs. The Theory is by far the most easy to control US disc I have ever thrown. Even at 168 on a full rip the theory did not turn and burn. It turned hard, but did not burn. I really like the different lines I can get. You can really control the amount of turn very easily. Between the Theory and the Tensor I have, my mids are almost set. I think an alias will finish it off. So happy I picked up an envy and fell in love. Otherwise, I don't think I would have tried any of the others.

I've dropped the Tursas for the Theory.

I played two rounds today at different courses and the it a bunch. It excels at the powered down arrow straight tunnel shot and the hold the turn to the ground without burning. It's not as long or as flexible as the Tursas, but much more reliable at those two shots, at least for me.

I still need to spend some time with this disc to get it dialedd in, several of my throws were on lower lines than intended.

made a ton of good shots in the woods with my theory today, but im realizing that i could make all those shots with my ion. i just throw the theory because i dont like to lose ions. whatevers.

. . . It excels at the powered down arrow straight tunnel shot and the hold the turn to the ground without burning.

^^^This. Theory also stands up to wind remarkably well for an understable disc. I had a 300' downhill laser in a crosswind today, started from a slight hyzer. For backhand I can throw this disc hard - I don't feel like I need to baby it.

My only quibble with the Theory so far is that it gets touchy on short, stretch-out FH anny approaches. You know - the kind of shot you use when no other options are are available. :p Fuse excelled at this shot; Theory not so much. Fortunately the Fuzion Truth handles this shot nicely.

Have you ever tried an Envy for the flick anny? I like them a lot because they pan out to flat and never skip or roll.

Have you ever tried an Envy for the flick anny? I like them a lot because they pan out to flat and never skip or roll.

Envy sounds like a very nice disc but I have not tried it. It sounds pretty close to my Icon Clutch, and I am very happy with Clutches for putting and BH approaches. I recently started using a Medium Harp for sidearm, and that pans out nicely on flick annies.

Fuzion Truth continually amazes me on longer flick annys.

I think I finally clicked with the Theory today.

I had always enjoyed it and saw its potential, but with the Meteor in the bag I wasn't in a hurry to fall in love.

But, since I have been on a Gyro-only kick, I left the Meteor at home and bagged the Theory today, and it was a home run.

What it took for me to click with it right, though, was figuring out how to use it for my style. Before, I had been trying to turn it all the way over from a hyzer flip, and it would usually just end up straight. Or, I'd throw it flat and roll my wrist (my fault, obviously), so it would burn. Today, I used it for two shots mainly: High annies that held to the ground, and low-powered approaches where I could just back off and let it go super straight.

Both of these shots went quite well. In fact, there were two shots where I got Meteor distance out of the Theory, which I did not think was previously possible for me. I just needed the right amount of height and the right angle, and boom, it was gone. The low-powered upshots were those shots where I will often try and make it with a putter, just because I have been playing for a long time and I feel like using a mid in that situation is kind of taking a step backward. But, because I can really back off this thing without fear of it fading, it ends up being a safer shot. I just need to be comfortable using it.

All in all, I am adding the Theory to my all-Gyro rig. It's a necessary weapon.

. . . Today, I used it for two shots mainly: High annies that held to the ground, and low-powered approaches where I could just back off and let it go super straight.

Both of these shots went quite well. In fact, there were two shots where I got Meteor distance out of the Theory, which I did not think was previously possible for me. I just needed the right amount of height and the right angle, and boom, it was gone.

This has been exactly my experience with the Theory. Not quite point and shoot (except for low-powered approaches), but more like "point slightly left of the target and shoot." I think of it as a gun with a mis-aligned sight - as long as I aim high and a little left, I should hit the bullseye every time.

Unlike many understable midranges, this is a robust disc and can be thrown hard. I clicked almost immediately with it because I don't have to guess what angle to throw it on. Since it barely fades, one can put a lot of air under the Theory and it will go surprisingly far.

Yes, I have quickly become a big fan of the Theory.

I really like how the Theory holds the line on an anny, but I haven't really been able to dial in a turnover yet. Either mine is still too new, or I am more pathetic than usual. Probably a little of both. But right now it is very good at the dead straight shot. Kind of like my heavy Opto Fuse for that shot.

I took my Theory to the field again for a few throws today (after my son and I launched his first Estes rocket!) and I have to say that is a fun disc to throw. It takes zero effort to throw straight. Even my kids, who basically just. started throwing discs today, could get some nice straight tosses. This is the first MVP/Axiom disc you give a new player.

I've been back and forth with this disc, not sure if I 'needed' it in the bag or not, but I was able to park this hole twice yesterday in consecutive rounds pretty easily with it, hit the lock once:

12 Scrapyard (Idlewild Park in CLT, the "other" Idlewild.)

Dogleg right, basket right of the line from the orange stake, hole drops some around the corner then back up so the basket winds up being slightly elevated.

Didn't have to overpower it or over-anny it to get it to hold the line it needs, which is nice for a tight gap like this. Making a strong case, this guy.

Last edited:
I played an out of town course this weekend comprised of mostly short wooded holes. Never have I used the same disc off the tee as often as I did that round. Theory got a workout since I have no forehand to speak of.

Yeah, for me so far it's been a bit of a utility type disc, because a lot of what it does I've gotten pretty good at with the Axis. But this hole yesterday was kind of an eye opener about where the two differ. To get the same shot from the Axis, I have to throw it a bit harder and/or with more anny than I like when trying to nail a line that tight. It's just easier with the Theory, don't have to 'force' it as much.

The Theory is now part of my bag. Really beat KC and DX Rocs are shelved. Comets are shelved too (although I will miss the long straight glide). I've never had an understable disc so resistant to burning. I am glad I stuck with it long enough to learn it. I didn't see it's real potential at first. I am man enough to admit that my first impressions (straight to US longish putter) were wrong.
Rocs and a Theory? Yup. Champ, KC, KC, Theory. There are some MVP/Axiom discs that are just too good not to find their spots (Envy, Theory, and sometimes Inertia for me).

Latest posts