• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC coverage

Tried watching the first round front nine. Just can't get into it. Avery spoils the shot before it's done. With eagle also on the card it doesn't work for being the only coverage.

Tried watching the first round front nine. Just can't get into it. Avery spoils the shot before it's done. With eagle also on the card it doesn't work for being the only coverage.

I watched it, but I am not a fan of the way the commentary is done. Same for the recaps. Just can't get into listening to how Avery is talking

I am not a fan of them having the players on that card doing commentary. Except Nate Sexton!

I think these videos move a little too fast and they need to do commentary as if it was live. Have someone that hasn't seen the coverage or knows what happened do it. That way it has more of a live feel and some surprise and suspense in the commentators voice.

Quick thought. One of the biggest dissapointments for me when watching live disc golf is the lack of times commentators offer scores or at least zoom into the board if there is one. If Terry could just pay a caddy like 50 bucks a round to feed him the scores it would be nice. Its crazy how you can watch hours of live coverage without a single reference to the scores on the card being followed. I shouldnt have to have pdga live scores up if it is available. Yea, super entitled. But you guys can make this happen right?

You are correct. Terry is horrible at scoring updates.

I am also to blame for not having the scoreboard up enough. I just assume that people look at the lower third graphics from Udisc and see scores, but I should not make that assumption. I am already working with Udisc on being able to have more scores show up during the ProTour videos. I try to use the scrolling scores at the bottom every 4 holes or so. And I put up the scoreboard during longer walks and after drives.

I think next year will be more to your liking.

The Charlotte Observer's coverage of 2nd round, includes a 20-pix photo gallery with a great 3-shot sequence of Big Jerm on #18.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/other-sports/article106592102.html

This is excellent press from the biggest paper in the Carolinas. Puts disc golf on the same level as other pro sports. Good stuff. I'm curious who's responsible for the coverage. If Jussi's DGWT media hacks got the Observer out to the tournament, I'd be impressed. (I still think there should be live streaming of it...)

I doubt Jussi and co had anything to do with it. DG is simply bigger in Charlotte than anywhere else in my experience.

I am also to blame for not having the scoreboard up enough. I just assume that people look at the lower third graphics from Udisc and see scores, but I should not make that assumption. I am already working with Udisc on being able to have more scores show up during the ProTour videos. I try to use the scrolling scores at the bottom every 4 holes or so. And I put up the scoreboard during longer walks and after drives.

Not trying to nitpick, but the scoteboard has too many players so it's hard to read, especially with a lower res connection, on a smaller device, etc. How about less players, larger font, and roll 2-3 scoreboards like ball golf?

I doubt Jussi and co had anything to do with it. DG is simply bigger in Charlotte than anywhere else in my experience.

Good point, I was just giving Jussi the benefit of the doubt. Charlotte is definitely ground zero for disc golf in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if the Observer even had someone dedicated to the local disc golf beat.

This is excellent press from the biggest paper in the Carolinas. Puts disc golf on the same level as other pro sports. Good stuff. I'm curious who's responsible for the coverage. If Jussi's DGWT media hacks got the Observer out to the tournament, I'd be impressed. (I still think there should be live streaming of it...)

Ha, Jussi probably didn't even want them there. Not enough "eyes."

Good point, I was just giving Jussi the benefit of the doubt. Charlotte is definitely ground zero for disc golf in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if the Observer even had someone dedicated to the local disc golf beat.
I feel like its more of an "hey this is an easy website story & photo gallery" type situation. Not to mention the writer/photographer looks to be a disc golfer. So mixing a little business with his personal passions (nothing wrong with that).

I'd be interested to see if any of that copy (or a photo) made the print edition.

I feel like its more of an "hey this is an easy website story & photo gallery" type situation. Not to mention the writer/photographer looks to be a disc golfer. So mixing a little business with his personal passions (nothing wrong with that).

I'd be interested to see if any of that copy (or a photo) made the print edition.

I didn't see anything in the print edition. The Observer writer is a DGer, as well as a professional photographer.

I Love You

I work for a newspaper, this is exactly the situation.

Easy content to put up on the website, but would not make it in print.

Nope. HH is a near perfect piece of land for disc golf. If it could be polished up and manicured it would make for a spectacular filming venue, however it is farm first, disc golf second.

The property i reference is Lake Marshall outside of Montross VA. The owner is committed to building the "Augusta National of disc golf" and has the appropriate land and resources to do so. Holes are being built with how they look for video in mind as well as ease of filming. It is already possibly the best course in VA and is only about half done. Roughly 11000 feet par 72 from the tips with tons of elevation, both open and wooded, 100 acre lake with an island which is roughly 100 x 180, etc, etc.

I hope it'll have multiple hot spots or towers for Internet connectivity throughout the course ... That is one of the issues to have live coverage.

I watched it, but I am not a fan of the way the commentary is done. Same for the recaps. Just can't get into listening to how Avery is talking

Lol. I am sure you can just watch it from the group you will be in today. At least you can be there.

Latest posts