• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC coverage

Poor Eagle kinda fell apart today... Not terribly, but he's +3 after -7 and -8 rounds... And he's sitting on Hole 17. Hope he can grab that deuce! /fingers crossed.

PDGA did offer to pay. And made the contacts to Smashboxx to insure it would be possible. Jussi said no. End of Story. It is their tournament. Not franchised out by the PDGA, sanctioned by the PDGA as a major. You can't make a TD do something he doesn't want to do. I.E., you see that some tourneys still have stoke & distance holes, don't you?

That doesn't mean they own it. It just means the PDGA needs to grow a pair and actually govern. Just know that this could mean that Innova pulls out of the USDGC in the future. We're at a point in disc golf where things could head south fast. Innova (and Jussi's arrogant ass) needs to be checked. Their patent has expired, and they no longer get to threaten to take their equipment and go home without many others being able to fill the void. I'm just not sure the PDGA has the stones to do it.

Poor Eagle kinda fell apart today... Not terribly, but he's +3 after -7 and -8 rounds... And he's sitting on Hole 17. Hope he can grab that deuce! /fingers crossed.

Seriously? Take it to the other thread.

Seriously, no hole 17, tomorrow! ?!?

Weather, they're moving several tees and pins.

No 17
Moving 5 so you don't approach over water.

17 hole layout, tomorrow.

That doesn't mean they own it. It just means the PDGA needs to grow a pair and actually govern. Just know that this could mean that Innova pulls out of the USDGC in the future. We're at a point in disc golf where things could head south fast. Innova (and Jussi's arrogant ass) needs to be checked. Their patent has expired, and they no longer get to threaten to take their equipment and go home without many others being able to fill the void. I'm just not sure the PDGA has the stones to do it.

BIG BAD INNOVA and the poor, poor PDGA.

Looks like most of the arguments and sarcastic comments by James Thomas have been deleted on the 2016 USDGC videos on the Spin tv youtube channel. Spin tv has their own username now that is replying to comments. looks like somebody get their little peepee smacked for trolling the viewers.

I like this post. But I wonder what you're hinting at when you say that things could go south. In what way exactly?

My apologies to Chains, who hates it when I over write, but I want to be clear about this.

The changes in the top two cards, and the fire that is burning under Koling, can only properly be appreciated in live coverage. The fact that the USDGC can easily be seen as the #1 or #2 event on the disc golf calendar, and yet we can't get live coverage, isn't just a shame, it's a comment on the stewardship of the event by the guys running the event, and DGWT.

Many people moan about the PDGA, but this is a case where it works for us. The PDGA is ours, a member based organization, and for all practical purposes, that means we have a say in the USDGC. It is an event that comes under the title of major, and is franchised out by the PDGA. Now, Chuck and Pat have pointed out that the relationship between this event, Innova, and USDGC is more nuanced than some, mainly because Innova has made it that way, by insisting that USDGC belongs to them.

I think as members, if we find the stewardship of this event to be disappointing, in terms of coverage, then we should ask our leaders in the PDGA to take an action. To let the guys running this event know that the members, the guys who really own the USDGC, are unhappy with their stewardship. That they have an obligation to plan ahead and include our organization in the discussions, so that media coverage is assured. That DGWT be told they aren't the arbiter in terms of live coverage, but that the PDGA is, and they have to meet our desires.

Remember, there is a cost to that. If we, as members, want our organization to assure live coverage, we are agreeing that the PDGA will pay. Of course, that has always been the case anyway, now we are just making sure that we and our concerns are met in the process.

My counterpoint to the whole livestream situation is this: foresight.

Did the PDGA put an offer to Smashboxx to cover the USDGC? Yes. Did they do it early enough to really put pressure on USDGC though? Absolutely not. If PDGA comes to USDGC/DGWT back in May and says, "Hey, what's your coverage plan?" that can get the conversation going in the right direction. But for everyone to assume that it was going to be covered just because that's the way it has always been done is a bit short-sighted. We saw very early in the season how Jussi did not like the La Mirada livestream, which should have sent some alarm bells off to stakeholders to figure it out sooner. I'm not saying the PDGA or USDGC are at fault here, just that some communication beforehand could have gone a long way.

If all this stuff gets hashed out earlier in the year, instead of early in September, then maybe there is more pressure/negotiating done and we're all watching the livestream.

Weather, they're moving several tees and pins.

No 17
Moving 5 so you don't approach over water.

17 hole layout, tomorrow.

What is with the vague comments? Why did you insert random commas and massive spaces between non-sentences?

"Due to weather, the final round tomorrow will be 17 holes. They will not be playing hole 17, and a few other tee pads will be moved."

It is a real bummer they are skipping 17, the hole responsible for some of the biggest collapses in Major history.

The PDGA is ours, a member based organization, and for all practical purposes, that means we have a say in the USDGC. It is an event that comes under the title of major, and is franchised out by the PDGA. Now, Chuck and Pat have pointed out that the relationship between this event, Innova, and USDGC is more nuanced than some, mainly because Innova has made it that way, by insisting that USDGC belongs to them.

I think as members, if we find the stewardship of this event to be disappointing, in terms of coverage, then we should ask our leaders in the PDGA to take an action. To let the guys running this event know that the members, the guys who really own the USDGC, are unhappy with their stewardship.

I'm a big PDGA supporter, but I also run a sanctioned tournament on my own land, with my own efforts, and don't feel the PDGA owns it in any way. Nor anyone else.

I don't see the USDGC as being any different, just because it's so much bigger.

The PDGA is a governing body and sets standards and, sure, they could say that the standard for a major is live coverage, and let tournaments decide if they want to be labeled "majors". But that wouldn't be a matter of the PDGA owning them, or the TDs having a stewardship responsibility to the PDGA or its members; just a deal as to whether the TD thinks his event should meet those guidelines in return for a certain tier sanctioning.

Perhaps the PDGA could throw their weight around and get the result we want. But they also might find they don't have quite the weight some think.

What is with the vague comments? Why did you insert random commas and massive spaces between non-sentences?

"Due to weather, the final round tomorrow will be 17 holes. They will not be playing hole 17, and a few other tee pads will be moved."

It is a real bummer they are skipping 17, the hole responsible for some of the biggest collapses in Major history.

Sorry if I offended your grammatical sensibilities.

I lose the Internetz.

I like this post. But I wonder what you're hinting at when you say that things could go south. In what way exactly?

With the precedent set by the DGPT and now the USDGC, the urge to ignore the PDGA when someone doesn't like their responses/reactions/positions makes those attempting to grow the pro side of the sport look like a bunch of kids throwing a tantrum at the grocery store. If the PDGA gives in every time a tantrum is thrown, they lose all credibility. If TDs choose to unsanction but still run events using PDGA rules (which is what's happening), what are they really accomplishing? This isn't Burger King. You can't pick and choose what to follow, and it makes our sport look like what it is...a bunch of people playing a game.

This year has soured me on professional disc golf more than I ever thought it could, and I pushed for growth on this side. Bickered with Chuck for months about it. We may have a bunch of ace videos on ESPN, but we're in no way, shape, or form ready for prime time. We've got a tour that has completely abandoned the spirit of the game I love and alienated women and another that (seemingly) got it right where Jussi failed (in my eyes) take a nose dive over a psychopathic (his words) douche nozzle (my words). While I know that nobody's perfect, these guys have stooped to downright idiotic levels.

This is just anything but professional.

I'm a big PDGA supporter, but I also run a sanctioned tournament on my own land, with my own efforts, and don't feel the PDGA owns it in any way. Nor anyone else.

I don't see the USDGC as being any different, just because it's so much bigger.

The PDGA is a governing body and sets standards and, sure, they could say that the standard for a major is live coverage, and let tournaments decide if they want to be labeled "majors". But that wouldn't be a matter of the PDGA owning them, or the TDs having a stewardship responsibility to the PDGA or its members; just a deal as to whether the TD thinks his event should meet those guidelines in return for a certain tier sanctioning.

Perhaps the PDGA could throw their weight around and get the result we want. But they also might find they don't have quite the weight some think.

Come on David, you know that's not what I was saying. The USDGC is not your event, and thus, the standards are different. And I'm not proposing that the PDGA micro manage. The USDGC is a special event and the standards are higher. Its that simple. The PDGA, that would be we members, do own the USDGC. That's the idea behind the PDGA. Go back and read Pat Govag's comments on the topic, then read one mile's comments. I'm not saying the PDGA should beat up Innova, but DGWT was pretty uncompromising about the media, and eliminated it. As a member, I'd like the PDGA to have a conversation, an adult one, about compromise and meeting the needs of its members, beyond the personal pecadillos of Jussi.

I don't see that as a bad thing.

BTW Innova is welcome to have an event at Rock Hill, and apply for sanctioning for that event. The USDGC title, like world's, is one that has to earned. IMO, part of that should be live coverage, or at least a consideration of that beyond Jussi's desires. If he can't handle that, we'll there are people who can, say Steve Dodge for example. I don't love what Steve did, but he got it done.

I don't think the USDGC was the PDGA's idea, something they offered and Innova accepted.

Innova created the event from the beginning, with effort and vision and a huge chunk of resources. They didn't earn it, they built it. All they earned was the "major" designation.

The PDGA owns the tier designation, I'm not sure they own the event name, but certainly not the event.

With the precedent set by the DGPT and now the USDGC, the urge to ignore the PDGA when someone doesn't like their responses/reactions/positions makes those attempting to grow the pro side of the sport look like a bunch of kids throwing a tantrum at the grocery store. If the PDGA gives in every time a tantrum is thrown, they lose all credibility. If TDs choose to unsanction but still run events using PDGA rules (which is what's happening), what are they really accomplishing? This isn't Burger King. You can't pick and choose what to follow, and it makes our sport look like what it is...a bunch of people playing a game.

This year has soured me on professional disc golf more than I ever thought it could, and I pushed for growth on this side. Bickered with Chuck for months about it. We may have a bunch of ace videos on ESPN, but we're in no way, shape, or form ready for prime time. We've got a tour that has completely abandoned the spirit of the game I love and alienated women and another that (seemingly) got it right where Jussi failed (in my eyes) take a nose dive over a psychopathic (his words) douche nozzle (my words). While I know that nobody's perfect, these guys have stooped to downright idiotic levels.

This is just anything but professional.
xoxoxo
I came to post something similar but damn. my man'

My counterpoint to the whole livestream situation is this: foresight.

Did the PDGA put an offer to Smashboxx to cover the USDGC? Yes. Did they do it early enough to really put pressure on USDGC though? Absolutely not. If PDGA comes to USDGC/DGWT back in May and says, "Hey, what's your coverage plan?" that can get the conversation going in the right direction. But for everyone to assume that it was going to be covered just because that's the way it has always been done is a bit short-sighted. We saw very early in the season how Jussi did not like the La Mirada livestream, which should have sent some alarm bells off to stakeholders to figure it out sooner. I'm not saying the PDGA or USDGC are at fault here, just that some communication beforehand could have gone a long way.

If all this stuff gets hashed out earlier in the year, instead of early in September, then maybe there is more pressure/negotiating done and we're all watching the livestream.

Stop Making Sense. DGCR is no place for that.

I feel like someone had an interview with Jussi on a podcast where he patiently explained the mechanics of his decision and the PDGA/Smashboxx debacle in detail...?

Oh, yeah. https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016...ap-jussi-meresmaa-presented-savage-disc-golf/

Latest posts