• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What discs are in your bag because of DGR?

For what I'm throwing now:

Pure - Not really, I started throwing these back in October, a couple months before they became popular on here. The only DGR connection is that from the posts on here from the L64 guys I knew it was the kind of flight I was looking for so when I was at the store deciding on my new putter it was one of the ones I looked at

Rhyno - Mostly yes, I needed an overstable putter as a compliment to the Pure and the Rhyno gets lots of praise on here

Roc - Yes, I've struggled with the Roc in the past but kept going back to it because of everything that gets said about it here and it has finally started to work out for me

Cheetah - Nope, other than the recurrent jokes it's rarely used by anyone here

PD - Yes

XXX - Yes

JimW said:

Oh come on...I know at one point you thought "hmmm, I'm naturally athletic too...I should try the Cheetah". :lol:

JimW said:

I won't joke about the Cheetah, It was a great disc back in the day, and still a good disc today.

wizard: yes, DGR influenced

buzzz: no, i heard it was the best mid ever created, tried it, loved it, hasn't left the bag since the day i laid eyes on it

comet: DGR influenced...quite heavily (would have given up on this disc quickly without DGR's praise, now it's my favorite disc)

wasp: no, found this on my own (windier days)

XL: found on my own

Teebird: pretty hyped about everywhere

Predator: saw that almost every discraft pro was using them, tried them out, loved them

Surge: DGR influenced....

Blake and his Rocs/Wizards/dx Teebirds

heh... i haven't pushed the teebird in like 3 years, and i have probably said as much about the wizard's weaknesses as i have its strengths over the past year or two.

the only mold i couldn't let go from my bag without sacrificing some strokes is the roc.

everything else could basically have a substitute that would perform close to what i've already got. i tend to favor what i deem to be the strongest discs in each class but at the same time, most of those discs have a substitute. e.g. the z predator sees more throws than any of my other drivers but i could do nearly as well with pretty much any overstable pig, i just think the pred does it better.

i don't think there's very many special discs out there and most of my equipment posting is to go against discs i feel are over-rated.

current front runners, imo...
fastest disc that is laser straight: striker
best moderate overstable driver: z force
longest disc on the market for people who throw under 450': r pro boss
most versatile driver made in the past 4 years: orion lf

the teebird and predator i still believe are the best at what they can do. for the flight chart i throw everything that comes out each year and there's very few discs that impress me each year. other times some weird things happen, like... the goblin actually impressed me quite a bit but it was discontinued after 2 production runs.

2009 was a banner year in that 3 discs really impressed me in a "wow, these discs perform very well for what they are supposed to do" and not just "hey, let's make a new disc," or something that was trying to be something and failed.

Only one, but it is 100% because of DGR. That would be the VP. My buddy got one too, through me, because of DGR.

A more indirect approach, but members from here posting on other boards and pointing out threads and articles on this site lead me to the Gazelle.

In fact, there was a list (either on this site or compiled by Blake) that listed several fairway drivers, ranked by distance, versatility, HSS, LSS, etc. Very informative...I just tried to find it but a link had been posted in another thread on DGCR...

It confirmed why I like the Gazelle and has me testing Eagles vs. Teebirds

What I throw, What I throw becuase of DGR
Predator
Force
Surge
Stalker - Been throwing them sense the proto's got to the team members.
XL
Roc - So happy not to be looking for other discs to compliment my buzzz anymore
Challenger

Other then the Stalker and Roc the bag was set before I became a member.

Hmm...

Wizard -Yes, before I start to reading DGR I was looking better putter and now I am happy with Wizard
Roc -No, I have thrown them since I started
Cyclone -Definitely yes
PD -Maybe, but I have thrown them before
XXX -No, this was my first real headwind driver

When I started, I did an internet search on what to buy, stumbled across Blake's articles on this site, and pretty much followed them.

Notable exceptions being the 10M brick I bought to go along with the Voodoo as my first putters because it seeeeeemed like a good idea at the time.

I think one disc that DGR forums turned me on to is the 150g Z Flick ( thanks, SkaBob! ). I throw some of my coolest shots with this puppy. Some times I screw up and huck it into the thicket of doom, the pond of doom, etc, but that disc is FUN!

I wouldn't have started throwing the Predator without DGR (it's really one of my favorite and most used discs now.) . The other molds I discovered or was shown along the way somewhere. I haven't taken any discs out of my bag directly as a result of DGR. However, I've tried to simplify and cut down the number of molds which has resulted in taking some discs out.

I just ordered my first disc because of DGR influence...

P PD

I couldn't help myself and splurged because of the following it has on here.