• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What makes a disc "legal"

bikedoctor

Bogey Member
Recently I got my butt spanked in Lafayette, LA on the Ace Run Course at Acadiana Park. On a few holes the shots were so tight and the tunnels were surrounded by poison ivy and thorn vines. At one point I was getting so much tree-jection that I thought, "Man, an Ultimate disc would really be great to float down to the basket."

If a disc met the weight per inch standard for legal play, does it still have to be "approved" before one plays with it?

i know Innova makes some larger 24.1 cm discs Jaguar, Condor, Zephyr that are all available to 200g -have never used them. Apparently they are like
i'd like to know the actual parameters that are used to create legal discs. is there anything subjective used at all?

I know there is a formula used to calculate the legal weight of the disc based on the surface area. I think the idea is to keep the disc (essentially a high speed projectile) from become potentially leathal.

I've seen some Wraiths come in like Scuds and I would imagine at 30 grams heavier could knock you out if it got you in the dome.

If a disc met the weight per inch standard for legal play, does it still have to be "approved" before one plays with it?
It has to be approved by the PDGA for PDGA play.

Luckily for you, the Ultra-Star is not only the gold standard for Ultimate discs, but it was also approved for PDGA play way back in 1981.

I know there is a formula used to calculate the legal weight of the disc based on the surface area. I think the idea is to keep the disc (essentially a high speed projectile) from become potentially leathal.

I've seen some Wraiths come in like Scuds and I would imagine at 30 grams heavier could knock you out if it got you in the dome.
There are technical standards that a disc must meet to be approved for PDGA play, but in order for a disc to be legal it has to be submitted to and approved by the PDGA and appear on the approved disc list to be used in PDGA play. So if you have a disc that meets all the technical standards but has never been submitted for approval...to bad, so sad. It's illegal for PDGA play.

I use a Jaguar fairly often. It is a good roller and can be easily turned left or right. Good for longer approach and hard right turns (RHBH).

My first disc was a Condor and I miss that thing -- straight as an arrow. It was heavy as Hades but awesome. Just reminiscing makes me want to go out and buy another one.

Pretty cool the Ultra Star is legal - however a bit too cumbersome to fit in my bag.

it says they are legal to 200grams - i think i've only seen them in 175g - as that's Ultimate weight - has anyone ever seen one heavier than 175? i think a 200g one would be the best beach catch disc ever - Marshall Street sells a heavy 190 g Ching catch disc

and i'm pretty sure anything in champion or z plastic with a 2 cm rim or wider -thrown at full speed could be lethal

Last edited: