• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Any top players throwing Vibram at Maple Hill this year? (*this is not a troll, I'm genuinely curious)

Not that I am aware of. Dana Vivich was Vibram's top pro before switching to Prodigy this year. Bradley Williams was using Vibram putters (a Sole I think) prior to taking a sponsorship with Prodigy.

Why does vibram not have a lot of top pros? I throw the discs, I think they are the best made, I'm not a pro though... Your thoughts?

I think they tend to target great ambassadors versus great players. Also, I don't think they have the budget (for disc golf) to offer a contract that would lure away a top pro from one of the larger companies.

The discs they have are solid but I think they still need Speed 10/11 drivers and an overstable utility mid. An understable Sidewinder/Roadrunner type disc would be nice for rollers.

Why does vibram not have a lot of top pros? I throw the discs, I think they are the best made, I'm not a pro though... Your thoughts?

I think the money is the main reason. It's great advertising when someone stands at the podium with your brand on their shirt. In order to have top pros sport your brand you need to pay them some dough.

Sadly I don't think they are going to build a real following until people see a top ten pro winning while throwing vibram. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll build from the bottom up, but that seems like a stretch. Either way I'll keep throwing vibram.

I fell in love with the Ibex after two throws. That first one was a medium. I then decided I wanted a soft one to stick landings--and I don't regret it at all. Mossy has such a predictable line and just doesn't skip, without regard to what surface he lands on. I suspect you're going to enjoy sticking your soft Ibex landings!

Sadly I don't think they are going to build a real following until people see a top ten pro winning while throwing vibram. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll build from the bottom up, but that seems like a stretch. Either way I'll keep throwing vibram.

I'd agree with that 100%. I think the sales need to bring in enough revenue for them to have a top pro.

It'd be nice to have a speed 9,10,11 driver. I'm really hurting now as I improve, because I don't have much in the way of drivers. It's either a Lace or an Ascent, but my Ascent isn't always long enough, and I don't always like to throw my Lace depending on what the fairway looks like.

It would be hard for them to have a top ten player with the current lineup of discs they currently have. Unless it's an open bag policy or mixed manufacturer deal. They have good products but still have gaps. They'll develop that of course :thmbup:

I don't think it's an issue of money, vibram has money "to boot"! ;)
I'd agree with that 100%. I think the sales need to bring in enough revenue for them to have a top pro.

It'd be nice to have a speed 9,10,11 driver. I'm really hurting now as I improve, because I don't have much in the way of drivers. It's either a Lace or an Ascent, but my Ascent isn't always long enough, and I don't always like to throw my Lace depending on what the fairway looks like.
Why don't you have much in the way of drivers and are "hurting"? Will you only throw Vibram? Have fun, throw some other brands too :) it'll be fun and help your game. 2¢

It would be hard for them to have a top ten player with the current lineup of discs they currently have. Unless it's an open bag policy or mixed manufacturer deal. They have good products but still have gaps. They'll develop that of course :thmbup:

I don't think it's an issue of money, vibram has money "to boot"! ;)

Why don't you have much in the way of drivers and are "hurting"? Will you only throw Vibram? Have fun, throw some other brands too :) it'll be fun and help your game. 2¢

In the past, I've learned different ways of throwing, e.g. RHFH, tomahawks, and thumbers. Vibram works really well with these throwing styles, particularly the Lace family, but there's a speed gap between speed 7 and speed 14 for their drivers, which is only bridged by the Ascent. Ascent is a pretty solid mold, but I wouldn't mind having something in the speed 9,10,11 range, which is my current power level for RHBH.

I love the feel of the X-Link medium and the floppiness of the soft. I'd be happy to have an entire bag of Vibram based on that. The lineup Vibram offers just doesn't provide me with everything I want, though, so I'm bagging discs by a variety of companies.

I was really hoping for a good US fairway in the Valley. As I've said elsewhere, it flies for me more like a Teebird/TL with less glide, so won't replace those in my bag. Had it turned out understable with more glide, it'd probably have a spot. If the Notch and Arch are both more OS than the Valley, there likely won't be any Vibram fairway drivers in my bag.

I love the feel of the X-Link medium and the floppiness of the soft. I'd be happy to have an entire bag of Vibram based on that. The lineup Vibram offers just doesn't provide me with everything I want, though, so I'm bagging discs by a variety of companies.

I was really hoping for a good US fairway in the Valley. As I've said elsewhere, it flies for me more like a Teebird/TL with less glide, so won't replace those in my bag. Had it turned out understable with more glide, it'd probably have a spot. If the Notch and Arch are both more OS than the Valley, there likely won't be any Vibram fairway drivers in my bag.

Lighter weight Valleys are the understable discs that they were billed to be, but a heavier Valley seems to have some stability, which is fine.

Say what you will about their drivers, but the Vibram putters seem to be the best out there, in my opinion. Even compared to putters that are good from other companies Vibram stands alone, because they have incredible longevity. I putt with the VP, because it saves me strokes every round. Very consistent disc.

Agree with the putter longevity. I used to putt with a Pa3 but got sick and tired of buying new ones every two months because they took a BEATING and would turn understable. I've had the same Ridge in my bag for almost a year and it still looks new. It's dirty and has a little bit of nicks but it still flies like day one.

Agree with the putter longevity. I used to putt with a Pa3 but got sick and tired of buying new ones every two months because they took a BEATING and would turn understable. I've had the same Ridge in my bag for almost a year and it still looks new. It's dirty and has a little bit of nicks but it still flies like day one.

I've got my first disc from three years ago, a Ridge, and it's been through just about everything I've thrown at it, and it still flies well. A little beat-in from so much driving, but it's predictable inside the circle.

I've reset some Vibram discs with hot-water, and it seems to work pretty well for returning some, if not all, stability. Certain discs like the Lace have a nice sweet spot for their stability, so that's a helpful tip for the Lace throwers out there.

My chains to upshot /short drive putters now full vibram. Firm sole and firm ridge. I hate glide and this combo seems to let me muscle range and die on misses. (Toying with a medium sole, but firm dies on the ground enough)
...Beloved Harps now all the way out of bag. Breakers on drive / utility duty.

Vibram Long Term; Can You Tell the Difference ?

Say what you will about their drivers, but the Vibram putters seem to be the best out there, in my opinion. Even compared to putters that are good from other companies Vibram stands alone, because they have incredible longevity. I putt with the VP, because it saves me strokes every round. Very consistent disc.

A Tale of Two Chunks

These two VPs were bought one week apart, more than 5 years ago. One has been on the wall its whole life, never been thrown, and never seen sunlight.

The other has lived in my bag since purchased, used for every round I have played. It has seen mud, rocks, trees, concrete and water. Its been through many seasons of weather, used on snow,and ice, in rain storms, and oppresive heat.
Vibram needed to make discs that go farther, simply for the reason that thier putters never wear out.

19840512605_60462f5cc6_b.jpg

Can you tell the difference ? Is the thrower on the left, or the right ?

Left looks like the thrower, but only because of a little dirt on the yellow logo.

Still, I am probably wrong and definitely impressed.

Love me some Vibram!!

A Tale of Two Chunks

These two VPs were bought one week apart, more than 5 years ago. One has been on the wall its whole life, never been thrown, and never seen sunlight.

The other has lived in my bag since purchased, used for every round I have played. It has seen mud, rocks, trees, concrete and water. Its been through many seasons of weather, used on snow,and ice, in rain storms, and oppresive heat.
Vibram needed to make discs that go farther, simply for the reason that thier putters never wear out.

My chains to upshot /short drive putters now full vibram. Firm sole and firm ridge. I hate glide and this combo seems to let me muscle range and die on misses. (Toying with a medium sole, but firm dies on the ground enough)
...Beloved Harps now all the way out of bag. Breakers on drive / utility duty.

The VP fulfilled that 'muscle range and die on miss' duty for me. It gave me a lot of confidence to run the basket when I knew that if I missed it had a heavy, consistent fade, which more or less minimized or eliminated skips. The soft Vibram putters take this property of Vibram even further, and they tend to go into the basket, if they hit metal, which is nice. It's a sight to see when your putter tacos (spp.?) itself into the basket! Great stuff! Thanks for the post!

A Tale of Two Chunks

I'd say that it is the putter on the right (from my vantage point of sitting at the computer), because the center stamp shows some possible usage and/or dirt.

Vibram has come out with pretty good discs so far, but I feel that the establishment hasn't acknowledged them like they should be doing for a lot of reasons: not having a big name professional, questions about filling their lineup, slow releases of new molds, not having the beefy overstables more experienced players want, qualms over the naming of the Four20, etc. Those things aside I think they have done pretty well... I myself would like to see some speed 9,10,11 drivers in their lineup, because the market doesn't have a ton of discs in that range IMO. Vibram has always been pretty creative in how they approach the new mold process, and I would like to see them try their hand at a speed 9,10,11 driver. It doesn't need to be three molds, but it could be just one mold that's speed 9 that's kind of middle of the road in stability. So far, my best hope is the Arch, which I'm guessing will be released by the end of summer/early fall. Sounds like a tasty disc for many different players, but I still haven't tried one yet, and I haven't heard a lot about since it was announced in April. I'm sure more news will be on here, once it gets closer to being released, so stay posted!

I've got my first disc from three years ago, a Ridge, and it's been through just about everything I've thrown at it, and it still flies well. A little beat-in from so much driving, but it's predictable inside the circle.

I've reset some Vibram discs with hot-water, and it seems to work pretty well for returning some, if not all, stability. Certain discs like the Lace have a nice sweet spot for their stability, so that's a helpful tip for the Lace throwers out there.

Since you twisted my arm behind my back to get a ridge I went out and got a glow ridge. Haven't gotten to throw it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Since you twisted my arm behind my back to get a ridge I went out and got a glow ridge. Haven't gotten to throw it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Ridges are very consistent. Shallow profile, small bead to cut through the air on drives. Very good driving putter. One thing that I like about both the VP/Ridge is the distance control and consistency. You know what those putters are going to do in certain conditions.

I feel bummed that I lost my glow Lace... I was pushing that 340'-350' before I lost it. I have a 159 medium and a 170 medium that I am using right now, but it doesn't replace the glow rubber, which I really liked. Kind of in-between a medium and firm, and it had pretty good stability to it.