• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Texas State Championships NT

Doesn't look like a Prodigy stamp to me. Actually, it doesn't look like an Innova stamp either. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe a tourney stamp from somewhere? I'm watching in 1080p and can't make it out at all even with the video paused.

Check out these sweet Firebirds! :)

Guess they still throw the best.

Attachments

• firebird.jpg
    firebird.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 142
  • firebird2.jpg
    firebird2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 122
I'm pretty surprised no one else thinks that it is pretty ghetto to have the leaning basket of pisa at an NT. :popcorn:

I understand the concern, but I can tell you that with the current drought in Texas and the clay soils that shrink, a whole lot of baskets are loose in the ground right now.

At my local course in Central Texas I can move every basket 2-3" in any direction and most of them are leaning. We sometimes push rocks or sticks into the ground next to the poles, but until we start getting some soil moisture they're going to stay loose. They probably should have tried to straighten that one up some, but it could have shifted anyway.

I believe a case can be made it's a 2-throw penalty for not having your disc marked with the original manufacturer's model indication. That includes discs that are tie-dyed. It can easily be fixed just by replacing the original marks, sometimes in the field. But are players leaving the Innova 2-letter ink mark ID on the bottom?

Per 801.02A Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the PDGA Technical Standards.

Per Tech Standards section I.(B) As of July 1, 2010, all newly-approved discs must carry the approved model name either engraved in the mold or as part of the disc art, permanent sticker label or by indelible ink marking. The full model name is recommended, but the use of unique abbreviations or codes is acceptable. Such codes must either be identified with the submission for approval, or supplied to the Technical Standards Committee for variants produced after the original approval.

Per 801.02 D A disc that is questioned by another player or an official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director. AND E. A player who throws an illegal disc during play shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc during the round may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the PDGA Competition Manual.

That's interesting. I never knew this. I'm glad a lot of my discs are DD and have the engraving. Not like anyone is going to check my discs though lol.

Am I the only who thinks it's a little weird that Patrick Brown gets $1170 for a final score of 205, when the same score in Open gets only $355? I get that it's a completely separate division and all, but was there really that much added cash to the Master's division, when there's only 28 players in Masters and almost 3x that in Open?

He actually got more money than McBeth in 3rd, and McBeth beat his score by 20 strokes.

Am I the only who thinks it's a little weird that Patrick Brown gets $1170 for a final score of 205, when the same score in Open gets only $355? I get that it's a completely separate division and all, but was there really that much added cash to the Master's division, when there's only 28 players in Masters and almost 3x that in Open?

He actually got more money than McBeth in 3rd, and McBeth beat his score by 20 strokes.
Well they arnt getting paid for the score but rather the place. Also remember that since there were 3x as many players that means there were 3x as many payouts.

Chances are who ever was doing the difficult work to secure the extra cash for the event was in that division or has a special fondness for seeing that division compensated for the time (and effort) they have put into this game. Many players of the older divisions have been thanklessly donating time, money, blood, and sweat for a long time.

If you do the math, even without added cash, Patrick probably still wins somewhere around $850-900 if it's just the collected entry fees paid back out. So there's not much you can do to keep his payout in line with the Open division by denying added cash. Lowering the entry fee (it was already less than Open) and paying deeper (they only paid 40% of the field) are the only ways to reduce the payday for those players.

I'm generally in the camp of not putting much if any added cash in age-protected divisions, but especially so at NT events. There are only supposed to be two divisions at NT events: Open and Women. Most events add on Masters and/or Grandmasters, mostly for tradition's sake to keep the players John Rock references from grumbling. I think that's fine, but if you're going to do that, let them play for their entries and little else. Keep the sponsor added money where anyone can play for it. The point of the National Tour is to showcase the best players in the sport right now. If you're not going to challenge those players by playing in their division, you shouldn't be playing for the added cash.

does anyone have the link to the shoot off with paige and cat? i wanna see the parked car incident

i couldnt find it on youtube

The suggested (not required) allocation for added cash in NTs has been 3x shares per MPO and FPO player versus 1x share in the other pro divisions. Not sure if that NT suggestion is still there. Looks like MPO and FPO did get a bit more added cash per player than MPM and MPG but not 3x.

Check out these sweet Firebirds! :)

Guess they still throw the best.

You're missing the point a little here. It's common knowledge that players were throwing team stamped discs last year. The issue at hand is whether or not the aviars Ricky was using were restamped. I merely pointed out that they didn't look that way to me.

does anyone have the link to the shoot off with paige and cat? i wanna see the parked car incident

i couldnt find it on youtube

It's not on youtube (yet). PDGA tweeted a photo of the lie here. PDGALive posted a short video of her throw from the lie here.

While I was watching Terry Miller's video of the MPO final round, I noticed you can see this vehicle in the background still parked in the same spot. There is parking lot between it and the tee and the basket. Cat's throw crossed over OB to land there. My assumption is that no one expected anyone to land there, so parking was allowed, then a freak wind-aided shot landed there and by the technicalities of how the OB was described for the hole (probably "pavement is OB" or something like that), it was determined she was in bounds.

McBeth made some dumb comments... He should know better than to belittle competitors.

Yes, what he said may be dumb, but on a scale of dumb to Richard Sherman, I don't think dumb is too bad. I took what he said to be just simple bantering/teasing that most athletes take part in.

Yes, what he said may be dumb, but on a scale of dumb to Richard Sherman, I don't think dumb is too bad. I took what he said to be just simple bantering/teasing that most athletes take part in.

Having seen McBeth's comments over the last year, it seems like something about Prodigy rubbed him the wrong way, though I'm not sure what. He did something similar when Will beat him at the memorial last year, pointing out that Will "threw his firebird" better than Paul did.

I also saw an interview with him last year where he said one of his big goals was to beat Prodigy guys.

So I'm not sure what happened behind the scenes, but it seems there is some overarching issue. It could just be that McBeth feels loyalty to Innova and isn't happy that people left. Or it could be something more personal dealing with the Prodigy guys.

Ricky and Sherman have at least two things in common. They're both champions and people be hatin' on them for it.