• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2016 Discraft Ace Race disc

Played the local AR today, and my first impression is: Stratus/Comet hybrid that will turn over relatively easily with oodles of glide, but actually fights back with some fade at the end of flight. Seems quite controllable and seems particularly well-suited to shaping lines on tight, technical holes. This disc merits a few more trial rounds, and will be seeing at least some time in my bag.

We jokingly called it the "Stratus OS" during the Ace Race. :D Feels very similar in the hand to a Stratus.
I can totally see this.

Last edited:
Ive had the AR disc in the bag for a couple rounds now and liking it so far. Can throw it on a nice hyzer and get it to go fairly straight then it just turns over and doesnt want to fight back. Its understable but not flippy and real easy to control.

After our event today I threw a few full drives with it and really liked the long slow turn and big glide.

It's a great disc and would be at home in the woods.

However it was a bit touchy on the shortened holes. Give it too much and it just went and seemed to glide out forever. Back off on it though and it just dumped.

I guess what I think I'm hearing here is that this disc is to the Cobra what the Comet is to the Ontario Roc. Similar flight, but touchier and with more glide.

Or I'm reading the thread wrong. :|

How does this disc compare to a Cobra?

I guess what I think I'm hearing here is that this disc is to the Cobra what the Comet is to the Ontario Roc. Similar flight, but touchier and with more glide.

Or I'm reading the thread wrong. :|

We had a couple guys mention the cobra similarities.

You are correct though, that it is touchier with more glide and a little bit faster too.

We were calling it a Stingray-Cobra baby.

I was looking some of mids and noticed how similar in feel the ar16 and the GM for discmania are. In the hand they feel almost identical. So if you like the ar16 and are looking for a more stable compliment you might want to look at the GM.

We had a couple guys mention the cobra similarities.

You are correct though, that it is touchier with more glide and a little bit faster too.

We were calling it a Stingray-Cobra baby.
We had our Ace Race today. People kept saying River or Leopard as a comparison, but I didn't think it was nearly that fast or long. I thought it was more in the Stingray/Element/Cobra wheelhouse of being a really long mid.

We had our Ace Race today. People kept saying River or Leopard as a comparison, but I didn't think it was nearly that fast or long. I thought it was more in the Stingray/Element/Cobra wheelhouse of being a really long mid.

There were a few people saying leopard, but to me it just seemed like a Stingray with a mini bead.

Raced yesterday

And while I will say that I like the disc and will definitely put it to use on the course, I will express my frustration with it being the choice for an Ace Race. If you throw the disc correctly it will turn nicely and then fade at the very end of the flight. If you throw the disc without the proper speed, it will hook left hard. Unfortunately the hole lengths were mainly in that no-man's land of in-between. A proper throw would take the disc well of to the right and past the basket. Too soft and the disc would eat left before it got there. The line was razor thin; one throw would be long, one would be short. It was impossible to find "the shot" as the disc was being used for shots it was not designed for. The only hole I threw well on was a 165' hole and I was touching the base of the basket. But that was a long hole. It only took 2 aces to win the T and that was with only 4 metals. So the disc is a poor match for Ace Race but is a good disc for what it is supposed to be for. My 2 cents.

And while I will say that I like the disc and will definitely put it to use on the course, I will express my frustration with it being the choice for an Ace Race. If you throw the disc correctly it will turn nicely and then fade at the very end of the flight. If you throw the disc without the proper speed, it will hook left hard. Unfortunately the hole lengths were mainly in that no-man's land of in-between. A proper throw would take the disc well of to the right and past the basket. Too soft and the disc would eat left before it got there. The line was razor thin; one throw would be long, one would be short. It was impossible to find "the shot" as the disc was being used for shots it was not designed for. The only hole I threw well on was a 165' hole and I was touching the base of the basket. But that was a long hole. It only took 2 aces to win the T and that was with only 4 metals. So the disc is a poor match for Ace Race but is a good disc for what it is supposed to be for. My 2 cents.
At first, it's seemed way too glidey for the shorter distances you typically get at AR's. Initially, lots of people's shots just sailed past baskets. Most people adapted by throwing 'em with significant hyzer, and basically dive bombing the basket.

But for what it's worth, I found if you put some loft on it when you throttle down for short throws, it slows down and stalls quite predictably, with a gentle (but consistent fade), floating down nicely in the direction of the fade, such that I was able to make some pretty consistent runs at the basket from 90-150'ish.

Truly appears to be an excellent finesse disc.... very controllable.
Can't wait to give it a few shots during league play this evening. :popcorn:

We held our 7th Ace Race yesterday. The only year we had more aces than yesterday was 2011 (Zeppelin). We had a bunch of 40-50' shots last year with the Roach that nobody hit, but those got hit all day with this "driver".