• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Idlewild Open Aug. 17-19 Burlington, Ky

Hmm... No arguments going on in this thread?... No Steve's hole analysis?...

(not that I really understand those graphs anyway:p;))

Personally I thought that hole 4(E) should have been par3 and hole 8(6) should have been a 5. No statistical basis for that, just experience.

Spoke with McBeth today and he agrees with you. :)

Sorry- Fashion Statement Is Correct. Just jealous I guess. I never looked that good when I was a hippie decades ago! He sliced and diced Idlewild to his liking.

I don't know how many people were in the gallery, but it was a challenge to hold that rope with everyone pushing on it on hole 17. There was a random spectator on the green also that almost tripped into the creek trying to get out of the way. Should be on camera. Awesome day!

Sorry- Fashion Statement Is Correct. Just jealous I guess. I never looked that good when I was a hippie decades ago! He sliced and diced Idlewild to his liking.

That's probably cause you didn't wear a moo moo. :D. And yeah, man that guy can throw in the trees!

Do you mind explaining what was so out of the ordinary with that hole specifically?

This is the 1000' monster hole.

It's wide open, but to either side of the 70'-ish fairway is tall, gnarly prairie grass. Normally, the prairie grass is simply a deterrent because it sucks to find your disc.

For the Idlewild Open, the prairie grass was OB and I saw plenty of pros going OB on that hole.

It's wide open, but to either side of the 70'-ish fairway is tall, gnarly prairie grass. Normally, the prairie grass is simply a deterrent because it sucks to find your disc.

For the Idlewild Open, the prairie grass was OB and I saw plenty of pros going OB on that hole.

doh.

Yeah, I saw the broadcast. I'm just wondering why that hole specifically generated strange results. In the Par Talk thread I saw where Steve said he would set par at 4 for that hole. I'm assuming (but wanted Steve to confirm) that the range of scores must have been very large.

I saw a few pros play it pretty much perfectly, where your second throw puts you somewhere in the vicinity of the green and you have a look at making a long-ish putt for a 3.

I also saw plenty of pros throw OB off the tee. Then throw from wherever the spotter marked them going out....and put that one out of bounds as well. With all the "artificial" OB I wouldn't be surprised if there was a spread from 3 all the way up to 7's or 8's. (Maybe even higher on the FPO side of things.)

I spotted on 16 Saturday. Not my first time spotting that hole. First time I've ever seen the prairie grass as OB though. Many shots 1st, 2nd, 3rd were just inches from the OB line. Catrina Allen had what looked like a really good hyzer off the tee. Then it barely caught the OB grass with no skip keeping her inches from being in bounds. She seemed over the course at that point. Felt kind of bad for her.

It was a brutal hole for sure.

Then Sunday we played the course, same layout as the Open. I went OB on every shot. 2nd to last shot was a downhill bomb that was inches OB just like many I witnessed Saturday. Last shot caught a tree and landed in the creek. Recorded a 10. Made it easy to count though: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10. Should have just thrown something short and inbounds.

From what video I saw, if you played it conservatively, it was a walk off easy four. It's when you pushed hard that you got into trouble. Is that at all correct?

From what video I saw, if you played it conservatively, it was a walk off easy four. It's when you pushed hard that you got into trouble. Is that at all correct?

From the tee, it looked like a lot of the standard, conservative shots went OB, too. Without having thrown that hole before, I'm guessing that the thought of hanging it out wide right (RHBH) and not coming in bounds, scared many people into missing left.

I wonder what percentage of the OB shots were from the tee?

From the tee, it looked like a lot of the standard, conservative shots went OB, too. Without having thrown that hole before, I'm guessing that the thought of hanging it out wide right (RHBH) and not coming in bounds, scared many people into missing left.

I wonder what percentage of the OB shots were from the tee?
It's also got a prevailing right-to-left headwind, which makes a lot of hyzers bail hard left.

That right to left wind was definitely blowing Saturday when I was out there.

Latest posts