• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest reason people don't play tournaments

For what reasons to you not play tournaments?

• Slow pace of play

Votes: 145 29.1%
  • Time commitments prevent (family, work, etc.)

Votes: 228 45.7%
  • Cost is preventative

Votes: 91 18.2%
  • I'm not good enough

Votes: 91 18.2%
  • Temperament of tournament players (take it too seriously, complaining, etc)

Votes: 110 22.0%
  • Stuck on course all day (would rather use time for other things)

Votes: 107 21.4%
  • May not enjoy the company of people on my card

Votes: 87 17.4%
  • Don't like have to commit to playing in advance

Votes: 32 6.4%
  • Don't want to pay the PDGA fee to play

Votes: 72 14.4%
  • Tournaments start too early in the day

Votes: 31 6.2%
  • Other (list in post)

Votes: 34 6.8%
  • Even though some of these may apply to me, I still like to play tournaments

Votes: 144 28.9%

• Total voters
If you gave me a choice between two tourneys in the same city, on the same day, and one was 1 round, one was 2...I'd pay double, maybe even TRIPLE for the one rounder. That's how much my body (and spirit) cannot stand long days of golf.
You're certainly welcome to that opinion, although many would probably say that leagues and minis serve such a demographic and do it with a faster pace and a cheaper price. I would say the vast majority of folks who are going to shell out $25+ for a day of competitive disc golf, want value for their money, especially when there are travel expenses involved.

This. I am waiting until I can consistently shoot par at the courses I play before I join the PDGA and play tournaments. I played one early on and was terrible. I am currently shooting 3-4 over on the courses I play so I have a bit more work to do before I start playing tourneys. Kind of an arbitrary benchmark some might say but I think if I can consistently shoot par that would give me a chance to be competitive in a tournament.

I've been playing tournaments for ten years and don't shoot that well. Neither do several of the people I play against. They have multiple am divisions for a reason. These events aren't the big "are you manly enough" competition you're making them out to be.

You're certainly welcome to that opinion, although many would probably say that leagues and minis serve such a demographic and do it with a faster pace and a cheaper price. I would say the vast majority of folks who are going to shell out $25+ for a day of competitive disc golf, want value for their money, especially when there are travel expenses involved.

I agree that there are many options for those of us who don't want to (or can't) spend all day on the course. And that's one of the great things about our game. There's something for everyone.

After reading this thread, and seeing the multitude of poll option the OP listed, it's CLEAR that most players have their specific reasons for playing/not playing tournaments.

It's not the end of the world.
It's also not up to the PDGA to "change" in order to accommodate the 1%ers that want this or that changed to suit their specific style of play.

More throwing, less bitching.

One of the fastest growing events in my area is a monthly mini. At this point each event draws enough people to be an actual tournament, but in reality it's a point series with divisional cutoff for the last few events. 10 bucks and 18 holes. Great people who run the event, but low cost and one round is the big draw for most people I think. 2 rounders are fun but I really pick and choose which ones I hit. Slow play and just total time at the course is what usually turns me off to a 2 round event.

After reading this thread, and seeing the multitude of poll option the OP listed, it's CLEAR that most players have their specific reasons for playing/not playing tournaments.

It's also not up to the PDGA to "change" in order to accommodate the 1%ers that want this or that changed to suit their specific style of play.

This is what strikes me as odd.

Just about all the reasons people give for not playing in tournaments, or not liking tournaments, are valid. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and that's fair.

The attitude of a few of the critics, that there's something wrong with tournaments, or perhaps by extension the people that enjoy them, strikes me as self-centered.

Right there with you. After 13+ years of playing, I've decided that this will probably be my last year of registering with the PDGA and playing sanctioned tournaments. I do still enjoy playing casual rounds, but not having time to actually get out and play/practice anymore, makes competing not as enjoyable. So, next year will probably consist of road trips to new courses and some casual rounds.

The biggest reason I don't play many tournaments is that in the same day I could bag 4-6 new courses in the same amount of time, possibly even with with a card full of good friends. There's a TD I this ars that I just don't like, either, mostly due to his slow processing of everything and sloppy score entering.

That said, if I do play, I play to represent TEAM STICKIN PUTTS. Gotta can those 50 footers and make the anxiety addled youth it there cry.

I would like to play more tournaments, but unfortunately I don't.

My main reason is people, I have had pretty bad luck being stuck with groups that are not enjoyable to play with. Add to that the slow pace and it makes for a very difficult and un-enjoyable day.

Ars...arse.. Freudian slip. Roggen knows.

Hey this sounds a lot like the small percentage of people on here who expect the DGWT to give them live coverage.

I was thinking about this some more, and the big thing that keeps me out of tournaments these days is the massive time investment required. Tourney day is typically the longest day of my week, and I've gotten to the point where the "tourney experience" just doesn't provide enough value for me to justify devoting an entire day to it anymore.

Latest posts