• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest reason people don't play tournaments

For what reasons to you not play tournaments?

• Slow pace of play

Votes: 145 29.1%
  • Time commitments prevent (family, work, etc.)

Votes: 228 45.7%
  • Cost is preventative

Votes: 91 18.2%
  • I'm not good enough

Votes: 91 18.2%
  • Temperament of tournament players (take it too seriously, complaining, etc)

Votes: 110 22.0%
  • Stuck on course all day (would rather use time for other things)

Votes: 107 21.4%
  • May not enjoy the company of people on my card

Votes: 87 17.4%
  • Don't like have to commit to playing in advance

Votes: 32 6.4%
  • Don't want to pay the PDGA fee to play

Votes: 72 14.4%
  • Tournaments start too early in the day

Votes: 31 6.2%
  • Other (list in post)

Votes: 34 6.8%
  • Even though some of these may apply to me, I still like to play tournaments

Votes: 144 28.9%

• Total voters
I know this an old thread but I am relatively new here and to the game. I wouldn't play a tournament due to 2 factors - the main one being that I am just not good enough even though I would be in some type of seniors (old man) tier due to my age of 58. The other factor would be the waiting in between throws. Once I get into a certain rhythm of play it's hard to wait 10 minutes between throws and remain consistent.

This. I am waiting until I can consistently shoot par at the courses I play before I join the PDGA and play tournaments. I played one early on and was terrible. I am currently shooting 3-4 over on the courses I play so I have a bit more work to do before I start playing tourneys. Kind of an arbitrary benchmark some might say but I think if I can consistently shoot par that would give me a chance to be competitive in a tournament.

I don't play tourneys because I feel like it's throwing money away. I'd rather take the $40 or whatever entry fee is and buy more discs or take my friends out to lunch after a round. I play disc golf since it's a cheap alternative to a lot of the other sports I've been in.

A good thread and one that needs to be sent to PDGA! A once good governing body of the sport who now with their old school policies is limiting our growth and consequently hurting attractiveness of tournaments to potential sponsers. By the way my number is 13316. So I've witnessed off and on over the years their lack of direction.

Here is why. Most tournaments need to be one round. Like USDGC. Rules need to be tweaked to improve speed of tourney play! Yeah I said the rules need to be adjusted, improved whatever to make play go smoother and quicker. Bottom line.

Think of the events that you like to both watch and play in ie football games etc...They don't normally last all dam day!

I have gotten asked this more often since I have been playing more after my ten plus year hiatus. And say well I just don't have the time. Grudingly, I plan to play more tourneys in 2017 only because I want see what I am capable of now 10 plus years later.

Last edited:
Heh. Was going to go play a tourney at Wilder in Newport, but the storm nixed that.

Honestly, I do more tourney support than playing in them. Like Chas58, I play much better when I find my rhythm. Waiting while a self-obsessed local "pro" pulls out several different discs, then clears the ground of every fallen leaf and twig, then practices his move for 30 secs, is excruciating. Then after they make their shot, they wanna blab about how they did while you're lining up to throw. No thanks.

I much prefer trimming the course, setting event signs, running the sound system, totaling round scores and helping the TD make decisions. I'm looking forward to getting back to MS, as we have at least two new holes planned for the Hiller Park course, in time for our seminal tourney. One hole will look so good we expect it to immediately achieve iconic status.
Despite my words, I do play bag tag leagues at Hiller and Buxton, and Sunday dubs at Ann Morrison, and occasionally Lunchtime. But these outings, though competitive, are much friendlier and casual than tourneys.

Last edited:
I much prefer trimming the course, setting event signs, running the sound system, totaling round scores and helping the TD make decisions. I'm looking forward to getting back to MS, as we have at least two new holes planned for the Hiller Park course, in time for our seminal tourney. One hole will look so good we expect it to immediately achieve iconic status.

We look forward to having you back!! Hope all the "fire fighting" went well, out there in Oregon.

Something really needs to be done with the current Hole 23 at Hiller...usually not possible to play this hole due to folks parking in the fairway.

Now to the thread topic: I don't play tournies because I work every Saturday.....I would like to play in some tournies but the old paycheck comes first.

A good thread and one that needs to be sent to PDGA! A once good governing body of the sport who now with their old school policies is limiting our growth and consequently hurting attractiveness of tournaments to potential sponsers. By the way my number is 13316. So I've witnessed off and on over the years their lack of direction.

Here is why. Most tournaments need to be one round. Like USDGC. Rules need to be tweaked to improve speed of tourney play! Yeah I said the rules need to be adjusted, improved whatever to make play go smoother and quicker. Bottom line.

Think of the events that you like to both watch and play in ie football games etc...They don't normally last all dam day!

I have gotten asked this more often since I have been playing more after my ten plus year hiatus. And say well I just don't have the time. Grudingly, I plan to play more tourneys in 2017 only because I want see what I am capable of now 10 plus years later.

Nonsense. It's not up to the PDGA, it's up to TDs, and TDs tend to do what players want. Nothing in the PDGA stops TDs from running 1-round events; heck, they do it with league play all the time. Nothing stops people who think this is a good idea from doing it, and demonstrating that it's better.

Changing a participation sport to make it spectator-friendly is foolish, especially with little evidence that many people will watch it, no matter have little time it takes.

In the meantime, tournament participation continues to grow. Clearly some people like the day-long, or weekend-long, formats. Perhaps that includes PDGA members, who haven't been clamoring for their member-run organization to trim events to 1 round.

All tournaments seem to be Saturday's (or sat/sun). I'm off on Sun/Mon. Otherwise I would.

This, this and this. Hey those are my days off too! :thmbup:

Also, I put "I'm not good enough" because I fear I will embarrass myself (and negatively affect my cardmates) in a tournament situation.

This. I am waiting until I can consistently shoot par at the courses I play before I join the PDGA and play tournaments. I played one early on and was terrible. I am currently shooting 3-4 over on the courses I play so I have a bit more work to do before I start playing tourneys. Kind of an arbitrary benchmark some might say but I think if I can consistently shoot par that would give me a chance to be competitive in a tournament.

I know quite a few guys that play tournaments just because they enjoy playing, even though they also realize they don't have a snowball's chance of winning anything outside of the raffle.

Heh. Was going to go play a tourney at Wilder in Newport, but the storm nixed that.

Honestly, I do more tourney support than playing in them. Like Chas58, I play much better when I find my rhythm. Waiting while a self-obsessed local "pro" pulls out several different discs, then clears the ground of every fallen leaf and twig, then practices his move for 30 secs, is excruciating. Then after they make their shot, they wanna blab about how they did while you're lining up to throw. No thanks.

Man, we must play with some of the same dudes. :wall:

One round a day? No thank you. Fees are high enough to play two.

Not to mention, in most cases, travel time.

If I've got to travel, I certainly want to play more than 1 round.

And if I don't have to travel, if the tournament's local, I certainly want it to be worthwhile for other people to travel, so I have someone to play with, and against.

If you gave me a choice between two tourneys in the same city, on the same day, and one was 1 round, one was 2...I'd pay double, maybe even TRIPLE for the one rounder. That's how much my body (and spirit) cannot stand long days of golf.

I'm of the opinion that one round isn't a tournament. It's a league night (even if it's in the afternoon...or morning).

It's really easy to say "man up" when you have a normal body, and are not physically limited. I mean, there is a member here who posted about barely being able to walk. Are you gonna tell him he's a baby for not playing all day?

I know quite a few guys that play tournaments just because they enjoy playing, even though they also realize they don't have a snowball's chance of winning anything outside of the raffle.

Yeah, I get that. I enjoyed the one tournament in which I played but am in no hurry. My main focus is on improvement. Tournaments are eventually a given for me, as every other sport I have participated in, I have played competitively, either in leagues or tournaments or both. DG will be the same, just not there yet.

Geezus, you fellas are a bunch of babies. If you can't handle two damn rounds in a day, maybe you need to worry about your overall fitness more than anything.

Today's posts constitute some of the least manly blather I've ever heard. "I'm afraid I'll look bad" and "oh my anxiety is too high" and "I can barely get through one round"....for crissakes, man up. You sound like a bunch of five year old girls. You should be embarrassed. I get not caring about the joy of competition, but they nonsense you freaking whiners are spouting is disheartening.

:D :hfive:

Unfortunately dg isnt the only place this is happening.

Some people like hitting a tennis ball against a wall and some people like playing against an opponent. The only wall I like is Pink Floyd's.

^Thats where im at. Im consistently 1-4 over.

Latest posts