• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Discraft Great Lakes Open July 24-26

I had to make a very active effort to maintain distance from players and other volunteers/staff members who seemed to not give a crap about doing so. I made it a point to tell players, "Just leave the flags there. I'll get them after you hole out."

DG is a splendid social distance friendly activity.
But people seem unwilling to actually change their habits.

What really pissed me off is that some player complained volunteers weren't wearing masks. I never came within 10 ft anyone. Other folks were coming too close to me, constantly causing me to back off to maintain space.

We had all the freaking space in the world.
No one needs to wear a mask if we just use it.

As you know, the players not wearing masks is as great a risk to you as you not wearing one is to them. And, given their travel, I'd propose players are more likely to be (asymptomatic) carriers.

You're right about no one needing to wear a mask in that space. But, as you point out, most of the people can't even care to try to socially distance, so maybe there should have been a mask requirement. They should have never restarted the tour.

:( :mad: :wall:
Really disappointing that Disc Golf is perfectly made for social distancing, yet most of

the coverage thus far shows so little care given. It would be so simple to follow Guidelines.

I completely agree with you but clarify that the "so simple" depends on developing the habits necessary. All the disc golfers were too busy creating content during the stoppage to do that necessary work. You have to practice following the guidelines. You have to train your brain and muscles.

I hope we get a tight finish... I'm gonna spam the hell out of every CBS Sports related twitter account with the final round and pointing out that DDO is gonna be on in a few weeks, and they should have someone from DD or DGPT or even Jomez on their podcasts/shows for a segment.

As you know, the players not wearing masks is as great a risk to you as you not wearing one is to them. And, given their travel, I'd propose players are more likely to be (asymptomatic) carriers.

You're right about no one needing to wear a mask in that space. But, as you point out, most of the people can't even care to try to socially distance, so maybe there should have been a mask requirement. They should have never restarted the tour.

I disagree with the statement that they never should have restarted the tour. But I do think that the DGPT, PDGA, and TD's, all need to get on players about maintaining separation.

This is something the both organizations should communicate to the TD. The TD should tell the players during the players meeting, that both organizations have noticed the lack of separation, and that players (at least in Michigan) have been seen on camera violating state mandate.

Since the players meeting was held the night before the tournament, every card should be warned as a reminder as they get to the 1st tee.

There's someone announcing the card for all the spectators who aren't there. He should be addressing the players, instead.

Problem is, I don't know how they can actually enforce it. Doesn't seem feasible to be stroking players if you don't have witnesses other than the players, who don't seem to care.

All they can do is make a very strong suggestion/recommendation. :(

Last edited:
I hope we get a tight finish... I'm gonna spam the hell out of every CBS Sports related twitter account with the final round and pointing out that DDO is gonna be on in a few weeks, and they should have someone from DD or DGPT or even Jomez on their podcasts/shows for a segment.
Spotter on #14 got coming out from behind that tree got about a second of air time. Dude needs to lose a few pounds.

I disagree with the statement that they never should have restarted the tour. But I do think that the DGPT, PDGA, and TD's, all need to get on players about maintaining separation.

This is something the both organizations should communicate to the TD. The TD should tell the players during the players meeting, that both organizations have noticed the lack of separation, and that players (at least in Michigan) have been seen on camera violating state mandate.

Since the players meeting was held the night before the tournament, every card should be warned as a reminder as they get to the 1st tee.

There's someone announcing the card for all the spectators who aren't there. He should be addressing the players, instead.

Problem is, I don't know how they can actually enforce it. Doesn't seem feasible to be stroking players if you don't have witnesses other than the players, who don't seem to care.

All they can do is make a very strong suggestion/recommendation. :(
Sounds like we need us some DGPT Marshals.

I think we already know that's not going to happen.

It would be interesting if a state had authorities actually come down on the event, for players and staff not following state mandates during the pandemic.

If I were governor, I'd say:
You're traipsing people from state to state. You're in an outdoor setting. You have every opportunity to distance, yet you're not doing it. Demonstrate responsible behavior, or were shutting you down.

I think we already know that's not going to happen.

It would be interesting if a state had authorities actually come down on the event, for players and staff not following state mandates during the pandemic.

If I were governor, I'd say
I think the second part is every reason it SHOULD happen. Why are you so certain it wouldn't?

Fun and odd that C Jones is 1st in C2 putting at 71% !! . . but 81st in C1x at 77%

He made 7 C2 putts in R2. .that has to be somekind of record

I could see the DGPT having an investment in using marshals. I could see the players saying, "We're busy playing. We forget. We have ingrained habits from playing for so long. So some helpful reminders from designated officials would be great." But I also haven't seen much effort on the part of players to want to follow the guidelines. Authoritative enforcement isn't actually all that effective on the unwilling and creates the kind of conflicts we've seen at stores with masking policies. For a sport that is player officiated, the will to care had to come from the players.

I could see the DGPT having an investment in using marshals. I could see the players saying, "We're busy playing. We forget. We have ingrained habits from playing for so long. So some helpful reminders from designated officials would be great." But I also haven't seen much effort on the part of players to want to follow the guidelines. Authoritative enforcement isn't actually all that effective on the unwilling and creates the kind of conflicts we've seen at stores with masking policies. For a sport that is player officiated, the will to care had to come from the players.
Fear that the players might create a conflict over an official giving them warnings and possibly strokes for not following state mandates is no reason to not implement something that could ensure the tour holds up to some sort of state officials showing up because someone called them over lack of social distancing.

Probably about to lay the brutalbrutus hoodoo on him but it looks like Paul finally woke up and is trying to do the perfection thing again...

:popcorn:

HAHA bogey'd hole 5... I am such a jinx:D

Last edited:
Probably about to lay the brutalbrutus hoodoo on him but it looks like Paul finally woke up and is trying to do the perfection thing again...

:popcorn:

HAHA bogey'd hole 5... I am such a jinx:D
DAMN. You hit him hard too. He was on the fairway when you said that and he didn't even get to C2 on his approach. Remind me not to piss you off.

Latest posts