• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Idlewild Open driven by Innova & The Nati Aug 7-9

Does it seem like more and more players are getting better scores out there each passing year? It is simply a matter of getting more familiar with the course? I know pars were increased on a few holes (8, 13), but even that doesn't explain the big grouping at the top.

I see they took out KJ's line on 7...mistake in my opinion. Someone wants to try that line, let them! Especially as the trees mature each year and get larger canopies.

Does it seem like more and more players are getting better scores out there each passing year? It is simply a matter of getting more familiar with the course? I know pars were increased on a few holes (8, 13), but even that doesn't explain the big grouping at the top.

I see they took out KJ's line on 7...mistake in my opinion. Someone wants to try that line, let them! Especially as the trees mature each year and get larger canopies.

The course has gotten a bit easier. They've had several trees get knocked down by storms in key spots. Plus, The KY hole and 17 were both par 3s before. 17 was changed last year.

Also, there are more top players here this year because they aren't over in Europe... and tbh, there are just more top players in general nowadays. So many guys rated over 1020 compared to just two or three years ago.

I see they took out KJ's line on 7...mistake in my opinion. Someone wants to try that line, let them! Especially as the trees mature each year and get larger canopies

Fred always does that, if he sees a hole is getting birdied more than not or a "cheater route" opens he makes changes. He's been doing that for years and it's one thing that makes Idlewild what it is.

On the other hand, I aced hole 9 when it was hole 7. I love having an ace at Idlewild. :thmbup:

One thing I don't like about Idlewild, is the nature of some of the OB. It seems kind of random, around the greens. These players are going for the green from hundreds of feet away, often blind and through the woods. Some beautiful shots end up OB, some don't... and you can't really say that the ones that do were executed badly.

A shot that fades or turns OB is one thing- you knew where the fairway was... you just didn't execute... Or maybe you got a bad tree kick. That's fine.

Water, roads, etc are pretty obvious, and you can mentally picture where they are even when they're blind. But the semi-random shapes of the OB around those island greens... those seem pretty iffy to avoid from hundreds of feet out.

The OB near 16's green is a prime example. It has a sort of randomizer quality that seems to reward luck moreso than actual execution. Hit your line perfectly from 400 ft away, and it all comes down to:

a) Did it skip far enough to get over the OB?
b) Did it skip just far enough to put you OB?

#2 might be my favorite hole on the course. I like the dicier pin placement. I recall it being much more in the middle of the green.

Last edited:
#2 might be my favorite hole on the course. I like the dicier pin placement. I recall it being much more in the middle of the green.

Yea. It used to be in the middle of those three trees on the left side of the green which now act like guardians. Then last year, they made a placement which was about 20ft right and 20ft longer than where the new one is. It didn't really change the hole enough, so they decided to move it closer to the pond.

The course has gotten a bit easier. They've had several trees get knocked down by storms in key spots. Plus, The KY hole and 17 were both par 3s before. 17 was changed last year.

Also, there are more top players here this year because they aren't over in Europe... and tbh, there are just more top players in general nowadays. So many guys rated over 1020 compared to just two or three years ago.

It also doesn't help when there has been little to no wind all weekend.

Hokom with a -2 is pretty damn impressive...

Unless Paul goes into beastmode tomorrow, I think we could be in for one heck of a show...

9 players within 5 shots of the lead... and I wouldn't put it passed MJ to make a run from 6 back...

:popcorn:

The OB near 16's green is a prime example. It has a sort of randomizer quality that seems to reward luck moreso than actual execution. Hit your line perfectly from 400 ft away, and it all comes down to:

a) Did it skip far enough to get over the OB?
b) Did it skip just far enough to put you OB?
Assuming we are talking top pros here...if someone is near that creek on their 2nd shot, they are going for eagle. If this were a par 4, I would agree completely. But...no one is forcing these players to go for the green in two. They could throw it just to the bottom of the hill, and have an easy chip to the green for a birdie still.

I think 17 is the hole that has the most randomness to it. Unless you are playing for par, there is a lot of luck that happens on that hole. Then again, you seem to see more bad luck from the players trying to get down there in one. The right side is more open and away from the creek, but no chance at eagle that way. Both holes seem to have a good balance of risk/reward. So does 18 really, which I love about the course--3 stroke difference after 15 in the final round? Still not over-not over by a long shot!

My favorite to play is 5. Love a big roller that hits just right...my least favorite is 6. I don't have a chance at getting close to that!

"Teeing Area: All persons, including competitors, are required to wear face covering when within 50 feet of a teeing area.
When it is a competitor's turn to throw, they are permitted to remove their face covering when throwing."

Looks like some players didn't get this memo, or are choosing to ignore it.

Just finished the jomez coverage...guess nikko missed the memo

Are there any penalties for not following this directive? Watching the R1 Jomez coverage, Nikko out there not giving a si care in the world is not a good look. But if the tour or the players on his card aren't going to say anything, then it is what it is.

I've been unimpressed with the lack of social distancing in the Foundation videos. Paul, though, seemed to care enough to follow a simple directive.

As someone who lived in KY for my first 30 years, I'd be fine with Gov Beshear kicking Nikko out of the state.

Random question but I just watched the first round, what are those pants Nikko's wearing, I think I've see him in some similar before?

I'm allergic to bees and always looking for pants that might be light and cool for summer wear.

Anyone know what happened with the foot fault controversy? I told my wife about PB being a notorious Dbag, and Terry seemed to elude to that.

It was honorable of PB to look to his cardmates for a ruling, but it's worth noting that a player can indeed call a foot fault on himself. The old, pre-2018 said you could not call a foot fault warning on yourself due to the free rethrow rule, but the 2018 rules removed the free rethrow. All you need is any two players to make a call and a second and it's an immediate penalty.

If the other players were out of position and couldn't see his feet, so be it. And it's definitely physically difficult to call a foot fault on yourself - you shuffle your feet a lot when you're not looking at them, so it's hard to say exactly where they were located at any specific point. There's no shame in not calling yourself for a foot fault if you're unsure.

It was honorable of PB to look to his cardmates for a ruling, but it's worth noting that a player can indeed call a foot fault on himself. The old, pre-2018 said you could not call a foot fault warning on yourself due to the free rethrow rule, but the 2018 rules removed the free rethrow. All you need is any two players to make a call and a second and it's an immediate penalty.

If the other players were out of position and couldn't see his feet, so be it. And it's definitely physically difficult to call a foot fault on yourself - you shuffle your feet a lot when you're not looking at them, so it's hard to say exactly where they were located at any specific point. There's no shame in not calling yourself for a foot fault if you're unsure.

If the other players were out of position and couldn't see his feet...they were breaking the rules

Random question but I just watched the first round, what are those pants Nikko's wearing, I think I've see him in some similar before?

I'm allergic to bees and always looking for pants that might be light and cool for summer wear.

Look up tactical pants. Thin, but durable. The trick is to avoid the fabric cotton for pants. Cotton is evil.

If the other players were out of position and couldn't see his feet...they were breaking the rules

Uh, not quite, but I appreciate the sentiment.

812 Courtesy
B. A player must:
2. Watch the other members of the group throw in order to ensure rules compliance and to help find discs.

Players are required to watch, but there is nothing that says they need to always be in the best position to see everything.

If they simply weren't looking that would be a courtesy violation.

Latest posts